April 17, 2014

Jack Bauer is taking on the Big Apple

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 16th 2009 4:24PM

Son of a bitch, give me your Metrocard!Jack Bauer's very bad seventh day on 24 still has six hours to go, but we already know where he's headed next:

New York City.

Season seven's two-hour finale is scheduled to air on FOX on Monday, May 18th and production on the show's eighth season begins right around the same time. EW's Michael Ausiello has confirmed that the Big Apple is going to be Bauer's next metropolitan playground.

NYC isn't the only change in store for Jack though.

According to Ausiello, season eight will also feature the revival of CTU. Something tells me that a domestic defense contractor taking its own country hostage will make you re-evaluate your security protocols. Anyway, not much else is known about CTU's reunion tour, just that Chloe (Mary Lynn Rajskub) will be back as well as a yet to be cast head honcho type named Brian Hastings.

OK, enough with the spoilery stuff - what does everyone think about NYC? Personally, I don't really see this as a very big deal. The city isn't the star of 24. The current season takes place in Washington, DC and sure it's been fun to see things like Jack wielding a handgun while flying by the Capitol Building in a black SUV, but that's it - just eye candy.

I'm guessing New York will be much of the same. Token shots of Jack with things like the Chrysler Building in the background are a given, but don't forget - much of this show takes place indoors. Additionally, Ausiello points out that the majority of the show will still be filmed in Los Angeles with only occasional actual NYC footage. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain CSI: NY does the same thing.

I'm already looking forward to the season premiere when Jack has to commandeer a cab and try to get across Midtown in less than hour. Good luck with that one Bauer.

liam mack

the next season is going to be filmed in brookyn heights!
an area that already is overflowing with movie and tv crews blocking off parking spots and disrupting traffic
--it's been greased by a large contribution to the
brooklyn heights assoc (no longer a neighborhood friendly org)

May 19 2009 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

Maybe Bill Buchanan is really still a live & being kept secret & will return. I love Jack,Bill & Chole plus Aaron Pierce is another great one..
I'm anxious to see how this season ends.

April 28 2009 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I'm guided by a signal in the heavens
I'm guided by this birthmark on my skin
I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons
First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin

-Leonard Cohen

April 17 2009 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Is no one else still missing Bill Buchanan? He is was and always will be my favorite head of CTU. I like the NY idea and agree with Joe that always in LA was not very interesting and that DC has been great.

April 17 2009 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nabby

Oh goodie. I hope he drops into Tavern on the Green.

April 17 2009 at 3:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

Bring back Alberta Green as the head-honcho of CTU

April 16 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ðan's comment
Xaul

Yeah! Bring back Alberta Green! She was awesome!

April 17 2009 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

I disagree about the city being "eye candy." I think this season has benefited greatly, in terms of plot-lines and realism, by being set in DC. It walways bothered me how much time the President spent in LA and on the west coast in earlier seasons. By placing this season in DC, they could have plots directly in the White House, with Senators, with the FBI headquarters, with major DoD contractors who are all based right outside of DC, etc. None of this would have felt "right" in LA. NYC will be a great setting too - all the government, financial and business buildings and locations will help the story a lot.

April 16 2009 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tri

This could also be a "story from past", when CTU was around, and Jack was alive...

April 16 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin McGuirk

Has this much info about a new season of 24 before the current one has finished ever been released? I'm thinking the producers are just doing this so when Jack does actually die this season it will be extremely shocking. Although I don't mind if I'm wrong, I would love to see another season as great as this one.

April 16 2009 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Justin McGuirk's comment
Joe in LA

Um, doesn't he have a terminal disease that will have him dead anytime now? How would that be shocking?

April 17 2009 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

I'm glad this great show will be back for another season, but I think the marketing guys will miss an good opportunity to sell the complete collected series as "24/7". I'm just saying ....

April 16 2009 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply