August 22, 2014

Lost: Some Like it Hoth

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 16th 2009 8:01AM

Ken Leung as Miles Straume on 'Lost.'
(S05E13) "That douche is my dad." - Miles

I've been waiting for an episode like this. We've gotten close to nothing when it comes to backstory on the freighter folk and had it not been for the writer's strike, I'm guessing that "Some Like it Hoth" (or at least something Miles related) would have aired during season four. Last time we got any substantial info on Miles' orgins was "Confirmed Dead" and all that filled us in on was ghost whisperin' powers and his conscience - ripping people off doesn't come easy for him. We got a helluva lot more info this time around.

So let's get the obvious out of the way. Most of us assumed it anyway - Miles is indeed Pierre Chang's son. However, it turns out Miles' trip to the island had nothing to do with finding out who his bio-dad was. As a child in Inglewood, CA, he found out that he had his abilities when some dead guy in a neighboring apartment wouldn't shut up inside young Straume's head. As a teenager, fed up with what he can do, he finally questioned his mother on her death bed, demanding to know where Pops was. Her response? He's dead and the body is someplace where you can never go. Spooky.

So it seems that until he got to the island, and more specifically, the island in 1977, Miles truly had no idea who his father was until he saw his mother in line at the DHARMA mess hall one day. He followed her and found Pierre and his young baby self. One thing to note here? Many also assumed that Sun was Pierre's kid and that the reason Sun and Ben didn't make the jump from 2007 to 1977 was because they existed in the same time. While Sun is irrelevant now in that theory, Ben still is and Miles disproves it.

Once Naomi caught up with Miles circa late 2004-ish, things began to fall into place. She recruited him because of all the bodies on the island that died at Ben's hand - they had much needed info. It became clear that Miles was only in it for money, $1.6M to be exact. It also explains why he tried to blackmail Ben for $3.2M in "Eggtown." With no real personal interest on the island at that point, Miles was happy to sell out for double the fee. Anyway, Naomi's test was very cool and I loved how she had Miles read the mind of the guy Widmore used to buy the plane and corpses used to fake the Oceanic 815 crash.

The biggest surprise for me was seeing Bram and van full of other goons pick up Miles before he departed on his "cruise." Bram, as you may recall, was one of the Ajira 316'ers and last week he took up arms with Ilana. He asked Miles the same question Ilana asked Lapidus - "do you know what's in the shadow of the statue?" He also said Miles was working for the wrong team and that if he joined them, he could find out all he wanted to know about his father and his powers. Mile's response? Got $3.2M? No dice.

What does all this mean though? It would seem they don't work for Ben - Ilana clearly didn't recognize him on the flight or on the island and they definitely don't work for Widmore. So Ilana and Bram must be part of some third faction warring over the island? Who's side are they on though?

Some more thoughts on "Some Like it Hoth" --

• It's about time we got some Hurley humor. From his "special garlic mayo" to his plan to send George Lucas the script for The Empire Strikes Back before he's written it, it was all classic Hugo. Even hearing Pierre just say "Hurley" was funny.
  • What are Sawyer and Juliet going to do with Phil now that he saw the tape Miles forgot to destroy?
  • Same goes for Roger. He's awfully suspicious of Kate. It would seem that LaFleur's three year con is finally starting to unravel.
  • Think there's any hidden meaning behind Jack cleaning the chalkboard? It was all covered in a lesson on Egyptian history, lending more weight to the theories about Anubis. I wonder though, Jack literally "erasing history" could not have been just a coincidence.
  • If Jughead is indeed buried underneath the Swan as many have predicted, then why weren't any of the Swan workers wearing any sort of nuke suits/protection? Maybe because it was buried already? Anyway, it was still cool to see the Swan and the Orchid being built.
  • Speaking of the Orchid, Miles asked Pierre where the body was and Pierre said, "what body?" Is it possible they already had some sense of what the wheel does and just got rid of the body by sending him off into the middle of the desert?
  • Pierre: "I like country." The look on Miles' face was priceless.
  • The dead guy Miles had to transport, Alvarez, was working in grid 334 (a.k.a. hostile territory) when his cavity filling shot into his brain. Maybe I missed it, but were either of the construction sites in that grid? If not, does that mean there's another patch of electromagnetic power somewhere on the island we haven't seen yet?

As for the ending, you knew that was coming. Faraday got off the sub, fresh from his stint at DHARMA HQ in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Presumably he's been there for most of the three years. I'm guessing when Sawyer first started the lie and they all joined the initiative, Daniel put on a lab coat after taking his exam and then got sent off. They must do some serious island studies there because according to the official description for the 100th episode in two weeks, Faraday seems ready to spill his guts:

"The Variable" - On the 100th episode milestone for the series, the time of reckoning has begun when Daniel Faraday comes clean regarding what he knows about the island, on "Lost," WEDNESDAY, APRIL 29 (9:00-10:02 p.m., ET) on ABC.

Kristen

Oh yeah I also think Richard is from the Black Rock. At least someone on that damn island better be from there...

April 21 2009 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

ok so am I the ONLY one who thinks the smoke monster is Jacob? I think Ben is lying about "not having a word for it". It is Jacob. And I too noticed that in the "Dead is Dead" episode Locke was never present when smokey was. I think Alex, Locke, Christian, Eko's brother...all the people who are seen even though they are "dead" are smokey. On or off the island. When Hurley sees Charlie or Ana Lucia, it is the smoke monster. That's why Christian tells Locke he can speak on behalf of Jacob. Cause he kinda is him.

And whoever brought up the summoning chamber in the Dharma house makes a good point. Ten bucks says that was Horace's house before it was Ben's. Horace has something to do with the others. Remember, they were building the Swan in an area that was considered Hostile territory,was it because the others and Dharma are actually working together? When Ben was under the temple and in front of smokey's shrine (where the holes were and it came oozing out of it) I paused the show...right when it is zooming in on the picture above the holes. There is a jackel looking creature on one side and it's holding it's hand out to some other thing. The other thing is (I'm sure) the smoke monster. It is a zig-zaggy type of body with a face on the end/top of it. It almost looks as though the jackal/Anibus is feeding it, or something.

another thing...Paul (Amy's - Ethan's mom - first husband, the guy who was killed by the others before Sawyer and Juliet shot them) has something to do with the others. think about it, at that point they already had a truce. So there is Paul and Amy chilling having a picnic...why would they just roll up and kill Paul? And Paul didn't have a bag over his head...like they were going to take Amy somewhere. And why would they make such a point about Paul's necklace? And why would they want his body? I also paused the show on the episode where we saw the full version of the statue. If you look closely it looks as though the statue is holding something in both it's hands. I am guessing it is holding the same thing that Paul's necklace was. That like cross looking thing with the hole at the top. I am also guessing that when we see the statue's face we will see that it is a jackal/Anibus.

April 21 2009 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I'm still thinking about the food. If the drops are still coming, someone has to have okay'd it. Surely no company has an order to do the drops, (and how DO they get there?), and that order is never updated? The Others took over so many years ago and no one knows? The sub was in service until John blew it up. No one from Dharma questions anything? Is Dharma even still around? Which again makes you wonder about the food. I, too, hope it isn't sent through time. Yuck. And I still say that Jack is steamed that he wasn't welcomed back as a savior, and is hoping Sawyer messes up, so once again he can be a 'hero.' Ok, I don't like Jack, never did. I still don't see how anyone followed him, since he never thought anything through, and got pissed at anyone who didn't agree with him.

April 21 2009 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mj's comment
Sho

Sawyer's comment about Jack not thinking things through was unfair and somewhat hypocritical. Jack is not the only character who has made rash decisions and screwed up in some way (a club to which even Sawyer belongs).

You can argue for there being other characters more endearing than Jack, but I've still seen him get far more flack than he deserves. This is the same character who, from the start, we've seen repeatedly put others before himself and risk his own life and well being to help those in danger, even becoming racked with guilt and returning to the very island he'd been trying to escape because he believed Sawyer and the others to be in trouble.

Honestly, do you really think if Sawyer had been the one to get off the island with Kate he would have lost a great deal of sleep over whether or not those left behind were okay?

April 21 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ganesh

OK, I'm confused. i was part of the group that felt that Sun would be revealed as Miles' mother. The reason for this is the opening scene many episodes ago in which Sun is in bed with Chang and there's a shot of a baby. Am I just making that up? Does anyone remember that?

April 17 2009 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ganesh's comment
Tri

The woman playing Chang's wife and Miles' mother does look like Sun, but I don't think its the same actress.

April 18 2009 at 2:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cress d

What if the third faction actually works for Eloise Hawking? Many have theorized it was her that Daniel Faraday tells in the past to bury the bomb. In last weeks episode, middle aged Widmore rides in on the horse to confront Richard about Ben. Richard says he doesn't answer to Widmore or "Ellie" (possibly Eloise Hawking), only Jacob.
So Widmore, Eloise, and Ben are all competing for the island. Which does not expalin why Eloise helps Ben get back to the island in the first place. Maybe that will be explained later.
AND maybe it is just a faction of the military, separate from Widmore, Eloise, and Ben. The govt. knew of the island according to pics Jack observed in Eloise Hawkings church basement "lair".

April 17 2009 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Regarding Richard Alpert: I have a feeling he may be a time traveler from the island's future. I don't have evidence to back this up, but there's just something about the guy that makes me feel like he's from a future time period.

As for the monster, I predict the show will reveal what it is towards the end of next season. My guess: It also comes from the future. It's not a nanobyte/nanite thing (which the producers have explicitly said it is not), but I do think it's a similar futuristic technology.

Consider this: in the future, a particle accelerator will be put into the ground of the island. This will be a time travel experiment. Alpert is someone in this future who is involved with this time travel experiment. The monster is actually the particles in this accelerator that were sent back in time. This time traveling experiment in the future has altered the past and created the various events we've seen unfold throughout this series.

April 17 2009 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Franklin's comment
Franklin

Actually I do have some evidence that may point to Richard being from the future, though it is not direct evidence.

We know from that from Widmore's point of view, it looks like Locke hasn't aged at all. Widmore recognized Locke and remarked to Locke how fascinating it was that hardly any time has passed for Locke. Widmore looked amazed to see that Locke hadn't aged.

Thus, it seems like we are shown Richard in the same manner that Widmore sees Locke: ageless and timeless.

April 17 2009 at 5:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daune Calovini

Yes, last week, I did a bunch of digging on Egyptian mythology and made a chart with characters and who they might represent. Can't remember, except that I like that Richard Alpert's initials are RA. Anubis is associated with funerals, so I see him as Christian. And, I thought we'd get something Thoth related, but as he's the mouthpiece of RA, I thought he'd be John Locke.

Beyond the Eyptian mythology, my other thoughts in reading comments here are:

1. Jack knows he was mislead, but he also feels he has a purpose for being back on the island, and since being a man of action got him and others into trouble, he's waiting until the purpose is revealed. He's not fighting the island any more. And, I DO like that LaFleur is getting more messy, and Jack was so clean shaven last night. Not a huge Jack fan, but I like his complete personality change over the years.

2. I feel maybe the whole quarantine charade was entirely to keep Desmond penned in the station. Perhaps Widmore paid his partner to keep Desmond in the dark and away from Penny. And didn't he have some failsafe question that he asked, when we first met him?

3. That food drop plane could have left the mainland at any time and found its way to the island, with time being so fluid around there, even decades earlier.

4. I maintain that what sets Sun and Ben and John apart is that they had contact with Richard Widmore on the mainland.

We'll know Horace is Horus, if something happens to his eye.

Daune

April 16 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jughead2

i have theory..it might sound ridiculus..but what if they all have to die..cause they are already born they ll continue thier lives nd since faraday said time can't be changed...wat if they have to die to leave the island..i know it cant be justified proeprly..but it not tht bad

April 16 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CraigO

Hey Rico, Good point about "Horus". And this episode was called "Some like it Hoth"...maybe I'm reaching but if you look at the last part of the title it has "t Hoth" in it or "Thoth" who according to Eygptian gods:

Thoth's role as mediator is well-documented. It is he who questions the souls of the dead about their deeds in life before their heart is weighed against the feather of Maat.

So is Miles Thoth? Or do the producers just like Star Wars a lot and I'm waaaay too into this show?

April 16 2009 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CraigO's comment
GerryofNorVA

Dial the Egyptian love back a bit, Hoth was an homage to "Empire Strikes Back" that Hurley was "writing".

April 16 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

"That douche is my dad." - Miles

Best Line of the show IMHO. When Miles said it, I turned to my wife and asked, "And how many times do you think THAT'S been said over the years?"

Epic!