December 21, 2014

Which shows are renewed, canceled, or on the bubble?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 16th 2009 1:40PM
Network logosThe networks haven't announced their official fall schedules yet. That happens next month at the network upfronts, or whatever each network is now calling them - upfronts, announcements, presentations. But just from seeing the ratings of certain shows and stories that have leaked to the press already we can get at least a fairly accurate idea of which shows are going to definitely be renewed, which are probably canceled, and which shows are "on the bubble." ("On the bubble" means they're in the middle, balanced on the fence between getting canceled and being renewed. It's named after Sebastian Bubble, an executive at NBC in the early 50s.)

USA Today has a complete rundown of all of the network shows you might be wondering about (in handy chart form!). After the jump, a look at some of the more interesting possibilities.

Over at ABC, it's a no-brainer that shows like Lost, Desperate Housewives, and Grey's Anatomy will be renewed, but Samantha Who? is on the bubble. NBC's 30 Rock, The Office, and Heroes are coming back (and I would bet that Parks and Recreation will be back too), but Chuck (noooooo!) and My Name Is Earl are both in the bubble category. As for CBS, you can guarantee that The Mentalist, Two and a Half Men, and all of the various CSI shows will be back, but it looks like longtime favorites Cold Case, Without A Trace, and The Unit aren't a sure thing to come back at all. It looks like FOX is going to cancel Dollhouse and The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but most of their other shows will be back.

As for The CW, the only show there's a question about is Privileged. Gossip Girl, 90210, Smallville, Supernatural, and One Tree Hill will all be back next season.

Now we just have to wait for those network announcements next month and see which new shows will be coming this fall.

Season-Ending Spoilers 2009

Bruce

Yes, PUSHING DAISIES has been cancelled but, you have to wonder what is going on there. The show came out of the gate with Emmys and will be nominated again I am sure and the they let the show go while saving SCRUBS (cancel it already, DUH!!!) It's like if a show is too smart for the average person it gets cancelled.
So they are airing the last few episode (yeah) and every, yes, I mean everyone should watch these last episodes. If Family Guy can be ressurected twice PUSHING DAISIES can come back from the dead. We as consumers just need to make it happen.

May 06 2009 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whatsherface

Supernatural is the only show I watch every time it comes on. Others i watch when I get a chance on the internet or when the dvd comes out. But I'm very glad Supernatural is renewed. It never gets enough love.

May 01 2009 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacyja

I'm with Monk, some clean tv programs for us seniors. I don't watch that many shows, but I like NCIS. I thinks it is very entertaining. My son, who's in his late 20's, and I can sit down and enjoy it together and not be uncomfortable. Is sex the only thing that networks care about. We don't even have any variety shows any longer with good comedic skits. I guess the only things funny need four letter words in it. I used to like Bob Sagat, but he sure has a potty mouth, turned me of when I heard the roasts. These used to be good to, and humor without being filthy was a part of it. Doesn't anyone know how to be funny today?

May 01 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty

Please keep: The Mentalist, The Unit, Cold Case, Without a Trace, Life, All the Law and Orders and CSIs, Eleventh Hour, Fringe, NCIS, Bones, In Plain Sight, Lie to Me, Burn Notice, Psyche, Leverage, The Cleaner, Criminal Minds and last but not least, Numbers. I know, I watch a lot of television. Even have a 2nd DVR to keep track of the shows. I agree with the viewer who made the comment about the reality shows and shows where everyone is jumping in bed with or having an affair with someone else's spouse. Please keep the shows which those of us who have time, and money to spend, are interested in.

May 01 2009 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JUDY

Without A Trace, NCIS, Castle, what are they thinking? NCIS has done so well even though they have come up against the mega monster American Idol. Yes, I like "Lie to Me" also.

May 01 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candis

Also, I really enjoy "Castle" it reminds me of "moonlighting". The chemistry between the lead actors is electrical. The other characters just make this show even more fun, the daughter, the ex-wife, etal. Please, oh please, don't cancell this show! Either air it another time or on another day, it hasn't had enough time to catch viewers interest.

May 01 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candis

I will stop watching Fox if they do not re-new
Dollhouse. If they don't have the brains to give this new and innovative show more time to attract viewers they obviously have to respect for our intelligence. In that case they will probably air more pablum for those who just want to laugh and not think.

May 01 2009 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

A little known GOOD show is LIE TO ME - clever.

I think HOWIE DO IT should be CANCELLED immediately. You'd have to be blind & dumb to NOT know that is Howie - can you say PLANNED SET UP?

May 01 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobby

How (or who), where, do you call, write, email (or whatever) to bitch about these cancellations?

May 01 2009 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply