October 22, 2014

Is Susan Boyle done already?

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 18th 2009 2:29PM
Susan Boyle on LarryWell, Andy Warhol said everyone gets 15 minutes of fame, but has Susan Boyle's quarter-hour already expired? That's the opinion of New York columnist Michael Musto, but I think his Rolex knock-off is running fast. Musto thinks Boyle is done, but, you watch, Susan will be around for at least another week or two.

She was on Larry King Live on Friday. There's rumors that she's going to appear on Oprah, and I wouldn't put it past American Idol and Simon Cowell to spring her on us, giving 20 million Americans a chance to be amazed by her sweet voice and reviled by her hairy eyebrows.

There is one thing that's intrigued me in this Boyle frenzy, and apparently I'm not the only person who's wondering about it. Was Susan Boyle really a complete shock to the Britain's Got Talent judges, or was this a remarkable bit of acting by Piers Morgan, Amanda Holden and Simon C?

If so, Emmys all around, because they sure made the moment seem spontaneous and genuine. Simon's smile was actually quite engaging. Even Annie was charmed by Susan's hopeful interpretation of "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miserables (by the way, the lyrics are really a downer).

And yet, when I called my husband into the room to watch the clip when the CBS Evening News showed it, his first reaction was, "It's a fake. I can't believe you're falling for this." Now, my husband is cynical, but is he right? What do you think, has Susan Boyle pulled the wool over all our eyes? Is this a trumped up Ugly Duckling fairy tale that is destined to be revealed as a major con job?

Dorothy

I think Susan is the real thing and I wish ignorant people and the media and press would get off her back so that she could enjoy her singing and we could to. I so dislike 'stupid' comments from people.

June 01 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lvchevys

I for one do not think Susan is done, she has just begun. There are many,many of us out there who would love to listen to her on a daily basis! She has the most incredible voice!! Oh and by the way, wasnt BGT suppossed to be about the TALENT? It was not about the looks now was it? Susan, if you read any of these blogs about you, hopefully you will read that you should continue to sing and bring enjoyment to those whose ears have longed for such a wonderful sound!! Thank you!

May 05 2009 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maryk

All this fault-finding and nastiness is disgusting and typically American. What passes for female singers in this country is hyped Barbie dolls who can just barely carry a tune, doing choreographed dance routines, barely dressed in super suggestive clothing. Think Cher, Madonna, Brittany, Beyonce just to name a few - and we eat this shtt up, they have all made millions off our stupidity. Celine Dion was similarly ridiculed - early in her career they called her "Canine" Dion because of her teeth, and she had them all capped. In years past singers were not so judged, think Kate Smith and Mahalia Jackson. Susan has a gorgeous voice, a NATURAL singing talent that conveys emotion, and millions of fans who appreciate truly great music and talent. She is also remarkably unpretentious (a beautiful trait) and comfortable in her own skin, not stuck on herself like these no-talent singers. I would buy her music and go to see her in concert, if she changes her looks or not.

April 24 2009 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike holmes

if it is a con job who cares? she can still sing. and i would love to hear her rendition of some more modern favs like 1000 miles, or skter8boy. you go girl! m

April 24 2009 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

The Beauty, the joy, the inspiration Susans Boyle's voice gives is AWESOME. I hope to purchase every recording she makes. I think HER VOICE IS SECOND ONLY TO ELVIS!!!!

April 24 2009 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia

Anyone out there as old as me that you can remember Kate Smith? She could sing Her rendition of God Bless America is still played for us to enjoy. She wasn't a skinny, little, beauty but with her great voice it didn't matter! You go Susan!!!!

April 23 2009 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cari

Richie, you are so wrong. Being from a musical doesn't make you an expert, trust me. I have done singing all over and I am not an expert. Gee whiz! Susan has a beautiful voice and is a breath of fresh air. I am so tired of seeing people made up so phony and have the "it's all about me" attitude and now hear someone with the most beuatiful voice and innocense. She is wonderful and pray she wins! She deserves it and all the happiness she can carry

April 23 2009 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

My name is Kathleen and i live in Southern California, USA.
I live alone with MyLittleGirls. They are my Yorkies, Breese (3.2 lbs) and Punkenpie, they are my therapy and I don't know what I would do without them. I have Cancer that I've been dealing with for a number of years and we thought I had it bet until last October 2008. It came back in the lymphatic system and all we can do now is treat with Chemo every 6 months to make sure it doesn't spread. I'm a real fighter and I don't believe in pity parties, so only a few close friends know about the condition. I live my life one day at a time and try to enjoy the day that I have. It's the little things in life that mean so much. Have you ever just sat on your porch and watch the trees change, or watch a flower bud and watch it flower, or listen to birds sing. Take the time to listen, it just might be an, "Voice of an Angel". This is what Susan means too me.
I have 3 children and they are all living on their own. I'm so very proud of what they all have accomplished. My oldest ( John ) was my special gift from God. He was born with minimal brain dysfunction and he was my blessing. A little work but still my blessing. (Smile)
When Susan walked on the stage, I knew she was very special, she has is very humble and real, and down to earth, my son also has these same qualities.
I Dreamed a Dream has what my life has been about and when I heard Susan singing, it was in fact " The Voice of an Angel". Susan has had a very hard time but God gave her a very special gift, her beautiful voice. In John's case, he was visual gifted. Even though they maybe a little different, it makes them special in the eyes of God and so many other people. I now have 2 in a Million to worry about. John and Susan. You would have to experience this for yourself to really understand what I'm saying and how I'm fBrokenangel eeling. Please don't try and change her, God created her the way she is and if God wanted her to have a make over, he would have given her one. ( Smile ) I wouldn't change one hair on my son's head. The only real problem and they both seem to have in common is: their innocents, very gullible and people seem to take advantage of their kind hearts.
Hopefully, someone close in her family with protector her and make sure she is not taken advantage of because she is so very Special.

God Bless You Susan and may God watch over you.

Brokenangel

April 23 2009 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kathleen's comment
ROXIE

I agree with you one hundred percent!!!! Susan Boyle, do not change who you really are. Stay beautiful and keep cheering your heart away. Never change the way you look or act. Being you is the greatest joy you will bring to people around you. OHHHH MYYYY, she does bring sunshine to us all with bright shinning smiles!!! That is what everyone needs a breath of fresh clean air. :)

April 27 2009 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Alice

Not only did Susan say she would "make that audience rock" but she rocked the whole world with her truly amazing, beautiful voice. I hope no one will ever try to change her persona.

April 22 2009 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia Gilbert

Susan Boyle is so talented, the "Queen" should sing for HER!

April 22 2009 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply