December 20, 2014

24: 2:00AM - 3:00AM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 21st 2009 8:22AM

Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer(S07E19) "I would think you'd know by now that no one can change my father's mind when it's made up" - Kim

Wow - talk about a complete 180°. A lot of this season has played it safe, but after last week's shocking final minutes, Day 7 has kicked into overdrive. During last night's episode, at times it felt like we were watching something out of season five. It was that tense. New conspiracies, new players, and confirmation of the one thing we've all assumed but couldn't bring ourselves to admit - Tony has been lying to Jack all day.

As far as I can figure, it would seem that despite working in Emerson's crew, Tony had also been double-dipping by doing work for this other shadowy organization that wants Hodges dead. They somehow got wind that Jonas planned to use the bio-weapon and Tony was tasked with stopping it and retrieving a sample. Once Jack and the FBI got involved, it just made Tony's job that much easier and here we are. It's a bit of a loose explanation, but I think it's the best scenario.

The big question is who are they and what do they want? We've met Alan (Will Patton), the apparent boss, and his goonette Cara (Amy Price-Francis) a.k.a. Tall Blonde Look-Alike Lawyer. Thus far, their only concern seems to be getting the canister that Galvez, the turncoat Starkwood employee, has. One other thing? Seems like Tony and Cara are involved. She's the one who brought him in and referred to him as a "bright spot" during a dark day while sort of smirking. You don't call someone a "bright spot" unless you're sleeping with them.

Anyway, whoever they are, Hodges had some sort of involvement with them via some megalomaniac consortium and now they're unhappy with the days' events. What does this say about Tony? Prior to all this and despite the fact that he was admittedly involved with some bad stuff, I still believed that he wanted to avoid millions of deaths. Now I'm not so sure. I doubt very much his newly revealed masters have nicer plans for the bio-weapon.

A few more thoughts on hour 19 --

• In an attempt to console Renee after hearing Larry died, Jack said he largely worked alone because he had lost two partners. Who was he referring to? Nina and Chase? Nina never really struck me as his partner (before she was unveiled) and Chase never died. Am I forgetting someone?
  • Nice touch with Kim's exit. Based on that comment she made to Renee that I quoted above, I'm guessing we'll see Kim once more with an antidote because she won't want to be stubborn like her dad. Another nice touch? She named her daughter after her mother, Teri.
  • Watching Jack slowly piece together Tony's betrayal and seeing Tony realize Jack was on to him was incredible to watch. It was paced out perfectly. Once Tony saw how badly Jack needed those anti-seizure drugs, you knew he was going to take them.
  • I didn't watch the preview for next week's episode so I'm not sure if this question was answered or not, but even though Hodges took the red pill, he can't be dead right? He knows way too much.

With Tony on the run now, it's going to be interesting to see what Jack's next step is. Will he go after the whole conspiracy or is he finally going to start taking this personally and start gunning for Tony? Don't forget - Jack is still on his own today, helping the FBI strictly on a provisional basis. Plus he's dying. If he wants personal revenge, now would the time to do it.

Ðan

maybe he meant in his partner in life his wife Terri if so don't know who the other partner could be oh maybe Bill Buchanan

April 23 2009 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

It's interesting, we're seeing three "phases" so to speak.

Renee is the first; she's just losing her idealism and "innocence". Jack hasn't been a wide eyed innocent in a long time, now he's trying to hold onto his humanity. And I'm betting Tony represents the extreme. He's out there, alone, trying to do something good, but he's lost his compass; he no longer knows the difference between necessary evil and just plain evil.

April 22 2009 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terri

I think Ethan is in cahoots with the vice pres. and they are the big wheel of which Starkwood is just a cog. Anyone who has seen 'Shawshank' has to be suspicious of Ethan! Still not sure Tony is completely bad, I know I know I just can't believe it. Why didn't he just shoot Larry?

April 22 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

The Big Cog is clearly President Daniels

April 22 2009 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

I thought of Chase and Curtis when he mentioned his partners. Although Chase didn't die, he lost a hand, thus Jack lost a partner. Nina wasn't his partner, in the field, anyway. Even though 24 has been on for 7 seasons, there were years between each of those 'days,' thus the l0 year comment.

April 22 2009 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

Partners: I thought of Chase & Curtis when he said that??? Nina wasn't really his partner (in the field anyway). Although Chase didn't die, he lost a hand, thus Jack lost a partner.

April 22 2009 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mercene

First for me is the FBI, I don't like a single FBI character. Agent Walker needs to die soon, and the rest of them can go with her.

Kim will of course be back, Jack will find out about Teri and either submit to the stem cell cure or he will be incapacitated as Kim, as next of kin will make the decision. Then again, Jack may do it just to go find Tony, revenge may be enough to make him want to live. What sucks is that in the true medical world this is ridiculous.

Hodges will spill his guts to save his precious company, hell who knew he had a family, the company seems to be his only love.

I think they are setting up Jack and Tony to go head to head in season 8. We only have a few hours left. Tony will somehow escape and next season Jack will be on a mission to find him and destroy him. Tony doesn't stand a chance against Jack, hell, Jack was picking up on his sloppy work and Tony knew it. Jack just needed to believe in someone and gave Tony too much credit in the beginning.

April 21 2009 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAY

Since they are now running these lame "Global Warming" PSA's - don't you suppose that they could trot out that psycho Garofalo to apologize for her nasty attack on those who protested at the various Tea Party events on 4/15?

Hey, just because someone has had enough with the scum bags in Washington and is sick of paying more and more taxes - it doesn't make them a "racist redneck", bitch.

April 21 2009 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VJ

I think the day will play out like this.............Tony is has either truly gone bad and will finally be taken out by Jack himself, or he's good but doing whats necessary to stop the bio-weapons at the top....Kim will return and save her dad Jack.....(Keifer Sutherland has signed on for season 8 already, so obviously he doesn't die on this day anyway).......I would suspect that the Vice-President could be involved because he really seemed to want the President to not survive the White House attack....I think that Moss is really dead however, unless Tony had a substance on his hand that gives the illusion of death for a while, however I wonder too, why nobody noticed the blood all over his mouth, but I think Jack did because he kept looking at the gunshot wound and then at moss's mouth.....Chloe is not gone, she will be back and be a big part of saving the day!!!!

April 21 2009 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

I assumed Jack's comment about his former partners was supposed to refer to pre-24 events in his career. (true, the show's timeline is 13+ years, but maybe he's not counting the times he's "retired" from CTU?)

There was some great character development in this episode that was really cool to watch. Jack and Tony's mental cat-and-mouse was well-acted, and Walker continued to become more like Jack in the way she responded to Moss's death. A few episodes ago she was lecturing Jack about how he responds to losses without showing emotion, and she came close to doing the same thing.

It's looking great! I seriously think that season 7 is one of the better seasons yet. Sure, it's not the same as classic season 1 stuff, but they weren't kidding when they said the strike situation gave them time to write it really well.

April 21 2009 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply