July 24, 2014

Heroes: I Am Sylar

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 21st 2009 1:15AM
Heroes -
(S03E24)
The penultimate chapter of this latest volume of Heroes keeps the "improved" status of the series going. As expected, Rebel returns to the series and, as seen above, has an unexpected encounter with Sylar. The episode doesn't so much as pick up where last episode's left off, with Nathan and the extended Petrelli clan watching Sylar-Nathan at a live press conference requesting a meeting with the president. Instead, we backed the clock up so we could see what everyone else was doing while Angela was making her family dig holes in the desert.

Thankfully, what everyone else was doing was far more interesting than ultimately what we got at Coyote Sands. Micah is always an appreciated return to the series, and if he survives the season (did he even survive tonight?), I'd love to see him return as a cast regular next year. The stage is getting set for a climactic season finale. At this point, I'm not sure what's going to happen, who's going to survive, and what state we're going to leave anyone in.

We've been promised three deaths, two of which are permanent. I don't think Daphne was one of those three deaths, but Tracy was. And it's pretty much been leaked that the latter of those two will be back. Which means we still have two permanent deaths to consider. You have to imagine Danko is going to be one of those, hell the episode may open with that, considering what went down with Sylar at the end of this one. As for the other, is it time to say goodbye to one of the Petrelli brothers?

They've done a pretty good job of making Peter pretty useless this season, and considering his role in prior volumes, his death would be pretty staggering to the status quo. But in the here and now it would have virtually no impact on anything. But then again, the same could be said for Mohinder. As the last surviving member of the original company, I'd like to think Angela's importance could keep her around a bit longer. It's an interesting thing to consider. Will they actually kill off a Season One castmember and keep them gone?

I'd imagine Hiro and Ando are safe, though I'm not sure what's going on with Hiro. We aren't really sure how "Baby Touch -n- Go" turned on his powers. Does he still have the capacity to have his full powers? Does Ando still super-charge other people's powers or is it just red energy lightning now? You'd think if he still had his charging abilities, then by touching Hiro it would have been a breeze for Hiro to stop time.

Matt Parkman seems also to be a sentimental favorite with the creators. He hasn't had any significant storylines, though I'm wondering if there isn't something important about Baby Matt Parkman. It is kind of convenient that just as Daphne is written out of the show here comes Matt's ex with his baby in tow. It is a proven scientific fact that babies solve all marital problems. It's true, if you're fighting too much with your wife, just knock her up and all your problems will go away.

The evolution of Sylar had some mixed moments for me. I was able to buy that he saved Micah, considering he sees a bit of himself in the kid. It's probably the same reason he didn't kill that other little psychopath he let tag along when he was on the great daddy hunt. But when he threw him out of his apartment, there was a very stupid looking little tear on his face.

I loved, however, the arguments he was having back and forth with his mother, or at least the woman who raised him. It's always nice to see those Pushing Daisies alums anywhere on my television, and Ellen Greene got a much meatier performance out of her character this time. It had to be a hoot playing half of Sylar losing his mind, shape-shifting back and forth from your body to his so you can have a one-man crazy two-person conversation. And yes it was about as confusing as that sentence.

It looks like they've officially righted the train that is Heroes. It's got the perfect mix of drama, humor and action going on right now, as well as intrigue and suspense. We're back to the magic of the first season, and if there are any viewers out there who've wandered away, it's not too late to jump back on board.

Who do you think's going to bite the dust (sorry you can only pick one)?
Danko421 (40.8%)
Micah11 (1.1%)
Peter49 (4.7%)
Nathan241 (23.3%)
Angela36 (3.5%)
Matt17 (1.6%)
Hiro30 (2.9%)
Ando7 (0.7%)
Mohinder104 (10.1%)
Sylar36 (3.5%)
Claire29 (2.8%)
Noah38 (3.7%)
Other (that's what the comments are for)14 (1.4%)

court

if this show gets another season while TSCC gets cancelled I'll be pissed. This train wreak of a show is so Meh-tacular now. Sylar is the only reason I still watch. I am waiting for him to kill everyone in the world so that the show can end.

April 22 2009 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia

Ehhh, this show is called Heroes, not 'Sylar' or 'Evil Always Seems to be Triumphing Over Good'. The original appeal of the show was that normal people could do great things, and who among us doesn't like a superhero? I think we've spent plenty of time on the dark side, let's get this show back into the light.

April 22 2009 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
literaryluv

Not sure if anyone commented on this or not - but did anyone notice how when Sylar shape shifts so does his clothes? (What's up with THAT?)

I noticed it at the end when Nathan and Sylar/Nathan were speaking. Sylar/Nathan was wearing a suit and then when he shape shifted back to regular Sylar he was wearing his Sylar clothes (which he wears ALL the time by the way).

Also - loved the part when Ando and Hiro jumped out of the truck and Hiro said "Let's go Batman!" and there was a few seconds of a heroesque rendition of batman playing in the background - hysterical.

April 21 2009 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to literaryluv's comment
Skutner

shapeshifting is an okay power... but shapeshifting the body AND clothes is extraordinary!

April 22 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skutner

SPOILER: Sylar morphs into the president and becomes the greatest president ever.

April 21 2009 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Skutner's comment
Bubbameister33

+1 for you. Lol.

April 21 2009 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
superrrguy

=) Sylar for President

I don't even get where this story is going. It seams like Sylar is trying to set a a hand shake so he can morph and be president. Why would Sylar wants to be or kill the president. Is it just because of his mommy issues?

Question: Was Sylar able to morph clothing as well in the previous episodes?

April 21 2009 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Astin

Far too late. The recent episodes have been BETTER than the crap before, but they are a far, FAR cry from when this was one of the best shows on TV. The show has gone so far off the rails the last two seasons that this is too little, too late. I've been watching just because i know the end is nigh, and unless next season gets rave reviews across the board, I won't be tuning in again.

How can anyone feel like next week should be the finale? It has once again been rushed to this point, with slow-moving and recently-invented plot points to push it there. I expect the last episode to be a mess as the writers try to juggle all the characters converging.

If not for Sylar and Noah, there'd have been no redeeming value to this chapter, or any chapter after 1. It's a shame, because the "reboot" in the first episode of this chapter was very well done and had so much hope. It's been derailed by lazy writing and far too many plot holes.

April 21 2009 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Every character on this show is BORING. This episode was a complete snoozefest in my opinion. The only redeeming factor was the possible set up of Sylar not being able to control his shapeshifting, because it makes him a little less omnipotent. I wonder if his problems have anything to do with the fact that he didn't open the guy's brain up so he didn't fully see how it worked.

April 21 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LRM's comment
60watts

ha, since when did sylar have the power of being omnipotent? lets leave theology out of this, it is sci fi after all

April 21 2009 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

Matt is so boring. How did his ex get such a nice house, and everything? Hmm. Hiro used to be a fun character, but his comments to Ando are kind of irritating. What, he can have powers but his buddy can't? His buddy didn't treat him badly when he lost HIS powers. Nathan has always irritated me, and Peter now is just a whiner. Flush the whole bunch and start over.

April 21 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Thoughts on possible deaths:

Nathan: He's sticking around. His redemption arc isn't really finished unless he sacrifices himself in the finale to save everyone. And even then the political aspect of the storyline is also not done.

Claire and Peter: As useless as they are now, they won't die even though it would make quite an emotional impact if one of them bites the dust. Those two along with Hiro are the default "heart of the show."

Hiro - But if they wanted to kill off a heart of the show, he would be it. While Claire and Peter are useless, Hiro is COMPLETELY useless. They just have no clue what to do with his character. And now with his nose bleeding in this episode, things are not looking good.

Ando - I can see him dying as well, but only if Hiro does NOT die. His death might not mean much, but actually it would force Hiro to man up and lose his whole "it's my destiny!" crap. So another good possibility.

Noah - His death would only serve to solidify Claire's standing with her Petrelli clan as well as make HER man up. His death would affect her the same as Ando's death would Hiro. Maybe.

Sylar - Haha, as if they are going to get rid of their cash cow. He's safe.

Angela and Suresh - If it weren't for Coyote Sands, I would say these two were destined for the grave. With that storyline still hanging in the air and with both of them having many unanswered questions about a family member (sister and father respectively), they seem to be safe. Unless the finale provides the answers.

Danko - He has pissed off Sylar. He's dead.

Matt - He is finally getting everything he wants. If this was a Joss Whedon show, I would say he is VERY dead. I can see him sacrificing himself to save everyone.

So people in danger in my mind: Danko, Matt, Hiro, Ando, and Noah. In that order.

April 21 2009 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

I think Nathan's goose is cooked, and I'm hoping Suresh is the other death.

April 21 2009 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

Zachary Quinto is awesome. The episode was awesome. I think they have definetly "righted the train." This was something I felt they should have been doing for a while, focusing on the character we like already, not trying to add in more.

Sylar is such a badass. Sometimes, like last night, he almost makes me root for the villian.

Regarding the death, I really hope it is Nathan rather than Peter. I do feel they have been setting it up for that, the conflict, solving their conflict, coming to terms with his (Nathan's) mistakes. I think that his death would also go a long way to turn Peter into the person we have seen glimpses of in the future (I know that future doesn't entirely exist anymore).

Either way, way to go Tim Kring and Bryan Fuller!

April 21 2009 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply