December 20, 2014

Mary Lynn Rajskub should never be allowed to talk directly to the viewers again!

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 21st 2009 3:38PM
I'm all for going green. And I love Mary Lynn Rajskub's Chloe on 24. In fact, I have missed her since she's been gone from the show for a few weeks. But that's no excuse for the horrific PSA she did to promote 24's new eco-friendly green initiative last week. It's taken me forever to wipe the stink of it off my eyes.

Who knew that an actress could be completely incapable of convincingly reading a short script in an even slightly convincing manner. It reminded me of when Saturday Night Live books politicians or athletes as hosts and then are stunned when they can't act their way out of a table read . Honestly, there's nothing more I can say about it that could fully explain the horror. You'll just need to see it for yourself (but it is 30 seconds you can never recover):

Jim

That looked to me like take three or four, after the director had said "Fabulous, Mary Lynn, but we really need to squeeze that read into 30 seconds. Can you pick it up a bit?"

So she did, but she was ticked at having to rush, and didn't really take it seriously. Just my interpretation.

April 22 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skapig

It's a combo of a bad read of cards and then trying to compensate by doing her usual goofy thing in responose to the silliness of the task. Keep in mind that she comes from a comedy background. Her 24 role and that the fact that it stuck is pure luck (big money for her).

April 22 2009 at 3:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hugeliver

She was GREAT in Dude Where's My Car!!

April 21 2009 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jose

Dollars to donuts this woman consumes far more energy than the average American.

So sick of this condescending celebrity preaching. Since when is deprivation some kind of virtue. My energy consumption is a reflection of my productiivty, and I'm not ashamed of it.

April 21 2009 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Oh man...I remember seeing this live and I just cracked up at the end! Thank goodness for TiVo cuz I replayed that sucker about 5 times in a row! :D

April 21 2009 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

Weird...

UK viewers, almost as weird as Gordon's Brown speech today (see video: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1172398/)

April 21 2009 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chloe O\'Bauer

I think it's pretty obvious that Mary Lynn really did not want to be doing the PSA and was forced. So she read it like someone who was being forced and didn't want to do it. Good for her

Her expressions at the end were hilarious though.

April 21 2009 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

She was totally making a joke out of it or playing it in character. Reminded me of when she was on Mr. Show.

April 21 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Totally disagree with negatives. In character, pitch-perfect.

April 21 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Haha! That's great. I think if you understood how she is in person, and in her stand-up, you would get it.

April 21 2009 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply