American Idol: Top 7 perform (again)

by Kona Gallagher, posted Apr 22nd 2009 12:20AM
American Idol Top 7

Well, the judges finally used their save last week somewhat confusingly on Matt Giraud. The good news is now that the save has been used, we don't have to endure any more of the awkward begging from the contestants at the end of the show. The bad news is that two people are getting eliminated this week. The worse news is that it's disco night.

In all fairness, though, this group is unlike most Idol groups in that they seem to do better with the more well-defined themes. When it's a free-for-all, like with the Billboard night, they lose their way and everything dissolves into chaos. Disco night just further proves this theory. With a few exceptions, the group manages to turn in vocally solid, interesting and original performances.

Lil Rounds "I'm Every Woman"
Lil Rounds has just fallen apart at the seams. She hasn't turned in a decent performance in weeks, and this is no exception. It's high-energy and should work, but it just doesn't. Her performance is exactly like the swan song performances that just-eliminated contestants give. I half-expect her to start crying at any minute. The judges are so over her. Randy says she was all over the place, Paula doesn't think she tapped into her inner goddess, and Simon just wants to put her out of her misery.

Kris Allen "She Works Hard For The Money"
Have I mentioned how much I adore Kris Allen? Because I do. He is my favorite in this competition, and this was hands down his best performance. Not only that, it is one of the best Idol performances I've ever seen-- because it is one of the most un-Idol performances I've ever seen. He took a song, flipped it and 100% made it his own. It wasn't flashy; it was just a solid, original performance. Paula may have called him a cross-dresser, but she loved it. Randy tells him that he's ready for the big time, and I couldn't agree more.

Danny Gokey "September"
Look, Danny Gokey is the best wedding singer ever. Beyond that, I really don't get his appeal. I love this song: it's a fun "get up and dance" song, and Danny did a perfectly acceptable job with it. However, he didn't bring anything new to the table at all. Randy, Kara and Paula are super into him though. Simon agrees with me and says that while the vocals were good, it didn't really have any star power.

Allison Iraheta "Hot Stuff"
Despite the fact that each week her outfits blind me more and more, Allison did a great job with this song. She took a super-cheesy disco song and made it all dark and scary. I totally thought she was going to fall over, but overall she made it work. Randy and Kara aren't thrilled with the arrangement, but love the vocals. Simon admits that she's an underdog with this theme, but tells her it was a brilliant performance.

Adam Lambert "If I Can't Have You"
I appreciate that Adam tried to change things up with the arrangement, but he took a fun disco song and made it into the climactic scene in Rent or something. It was a nice Broadway song, and I think Adam should have a great career on The Great White Way, but I don't see him as a solo artist. The judges, however, ate it up. Randy says that he's ready right now, Kara calls him brilliant, and I'm pretty sure Paula is actually lactating. Even Simon loved it, so I guess I'm all alone on this one.

Matt Giraud "Stayin' Alive"
Matt tackles a disco classic and basically looks and sounds like a low-rent and out of breath Justin Timberlake. He needed to do something really special tonight in order to make it another week, and he absolutely did not. I'll be surprised if he makes it another week and doesn't rule the judges' save completely ineffective. Randy didn't like the song choice or the arrangement, but complimented his vocals. Paula is convinced he's staying, but Simon completely disagrees, saying he's stuck in "Idol land."

Anoop Desai "Dim All The Lights"
I'm not familiar with this song, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to sound, but if I had to guess, it probably sounds a lot less R&B than his performance. His vocals are really strong, but this song choice and the arrangement are just confusing to me. Randy didn't love the arrangement on this either, but complimented him on his strong vocals. Kara tells him that he's hitting his stride, Paula compliments him on his ability to wear pink, while Simon disagrees with everyone and calls the performance "mediocre at best."

I've been talking about how much I love him for a while, but Kris Allen proved tonight that he is the dark horse to win this competition. He is just as talented and original as Adam (perhaps more so if you include the fact that he plays multiple instruments); he's just less flashy about it. When I see Adam perform, I think incredibly talented Broadway actor. When I see Kris perform, I think incredibly talented solo artist. If I had my way, Adam, Allison and Kris would end up in the top three, with Adam and Kris in the top two and Kris ultimately winning.

As far as who's going home, I think the sun has set on both Lil and Matt. Anoop will round out the bottom three, barring any surprises (like everybody assumes Adam is safe, so they all forget to vote for him). Since the polls here won't allow you to vote for two, let' go ahead and do a positive vote: who do you think is going to take it?

Who should win American Idol?
Lil Rounds38 (2.5%)
Kris Allen529 (35.5%)
Danny Gokey106 (7.1%)
Allison Iraheta132 (8.8%)
Adam Lambert631 (42.3%)
Matt Giraud33 (2.2%)
Anoop Desai23 (1.5%)

jim

Time for Lambert to exit the stage..Game over you lose gay fellow..

May 12 2009 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Matt rocked the house last night and gave the best performance of the night -- great vocal talent, great dance moves and took a song and made it his own.

I'm sick of all the Adam love -- will the backlash ever begin? He seriously does not need to win Idol because he can sell records now just based on all the talk -- and actually winning could hurt him -- Daughtry and elliot yamin both did better in sales than winner and runner up Taylor and Katherine.

It would be more beneficial if Matt, Danny or Kris won. I don't know what you all have against Matt -- he is so talented, such a great singer, plays the piano -- please everyone take a second look at his performance last night and previous performances -- he does not deserve to go home. May I remind you that Matt was not in the bottom 3 for three weeks and that both alison and anoop have been in the bottom 3 -- three times already. Give Matt a chance!

April 22 2009 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennJenn

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with you about Adam... I think he has crazy vocals and he is insanely talented for sure... but I really don't know about him putting out an album. I don't hate the guy, I think he's great... but it's also because I really love broadway, and he's been on broadway and I really think that's where he shines. I was really expecting him to do something really great last night and I was actually surprised, but not in a good way.

Danny however, I love him. I don't care what anyone else says. I don't think he's like Taylor Hicks at all. Taylor, imo, was cool, but not sexy and sultry. And I saw him on Grease and he was awesome! But Danny has such a great voice and I think with the right kind of music and the right genre (whether it's Christian or mainstream because I love both) I think he will really do well. He just needs music that fits for him.

The winner of Idol will be singing their own type of music, not disco or country (unless they are country) or whatever... so I'm looking at long-term success and I think Danny or possibly even Kris could have a shot.

April 22 2009 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greatone

I think Adam will win American Idol but Kris Allen will sell more records. Adam is a better singer but Kris is more talent. I agree that Adam is a great Broadway performer.
Actually I think Danny and Allison could sell more records than Adam. Realistic, based on previous season maybe 2 of these contestants will make it pass 1 album. Kelly, Clay, Fantasia, and Carrie are the only artist to have atleast 2 gold albums. Daughtry will most likely join them with his next album. I think Kris and either Danny or Allison can have atleast 2 gold albums.

The bottom 2 this week will most likely be Matt and Lil Rounds. This week I think Kris had the best performance followed by Adam, Danny, Allison, Matt, Anoop and Lil.

Why do people keep comparing Allison to Kelly Clarkson.
They sound nothing alike and I think Kelly is a much better singer than Allison.

April 22 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
McMary

Yeah yeah yeah... Adam is a great entertainer! But we get it, Adam. You can hit the high notes.. but must you do it multiple times every single song? Last night, my chihuahua almost exploded from those notes!

He's a talented performer, but can I imagine sitting through hearing an entire CD of his even once? I'd drive my truck into a tree, just to make that sound stop! Look out Broadway ... but that's about it!

Could I, would I, listen to a CD by Kris? Without a doubt. Not as "flashy" as Adam, but much more listenable. He's got the voice and still takes the risks (like last night). Yeah, he deserves to go far.

Will Kris likely be the runner-up to Adam? Yeah, its likely, based on the prepubescent and tween voting contingent. That's okay.. Clay Aiken was second to Rueben... Clay has a career. Where's Rueben?

Matt's biggest problem is making his musical decisions based on WWJD ... What Would Justin (Timberlake) Do. if Justin Timberlake ever needs a body-double, or if Lifetime makes a biography of JT, Matt is set. Otherwise, buh-bye Matt!

Lil rocked in the auditions. Lil rocked in Hollyweird week. Lil has totally lost everything about her that rocked.

And I'll still be dialing in, voting for Allison. She deserves to make it to the end. That much voice, control, and risk taking is admirable. At age 16, its a freakin' miracle. She's got a guaranteed future. I'd listen, gladly.

April 22 2009 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RLP

FOX, the producers of the show and sponsors are the real winners. If they get a platinum selling recording artist out of it then its a bonus. They are making money either way. Its like a big game for massive corporations to conspire to make money off the people. *shrug*

So it was never about music. Just look at which judge everyone seems to think matters the most. He cannot sing or play an instrument and has no perspective about performing. He only cares about what sells.

I'm hoping that down the road, someone gets a hold of all the seasons' weekly voting amounts. Doesn't everyone wish that would leak!?!?

April 22 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sigma982

I'm just amazed at the fact that every once in a while, the judges get on these performers for being "overindulgent". Tell me ONE performance where Adam wasn't exactly that.

I actually like his slower songs (I personally enjoyed his performance last night the most of any of his others - except for maybe "Mad World").

But honestly, he's uncomfortable to even watch, and he's SO over-the-top, it's crazy. My friend texted a good description of watching his performance:

"Why is it that after I watch Adam's performances, I feel like I need to take a shower?"

Not taking away his vocal aptitude by any stretch, but I honestly don't see him having a huge recording career. At all.

Either way, he's gonna at least be in the Top 2.

Alison's falling off a little bit the last 2 weeks, performance-wise, but I still really like her. Danny's peaked a few weeks ago, but he's still very strong and predictably on-point every week. Kris is great and is coming into his own at the perfect time. Matt Giraud needs to get out of Timberlake mode - just sing like yourself and don't try and be someone else, it's getting transparent. And Lil has overstayed her welcome by at least 3 weeks now..........

/off soapbox

April 22 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

1) Thanks for doing the poll in the same direction Idol does. I think it demonstrates quite clearly why oddities can happen with the bottom contestants. If just two or three performers regularly account for 77-86% of the votes like this, the differences between the votes at the other end are so small that anything can happen.

2) Commenters and the judges can call this a singing competition all they want, but that won't change the fact that the average person is not really trained to judge singing technique, nor will it make people base their votes on the singing alone. The show is called American IDOL and people are going to vote for the person with the most star power, or the one whose lifestyle and politics seems to match their own, or the one they most want to get in bed with, etc.

April 22 2009 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I'm sorry if I'm repeating what someone else said, but there are too many comments for me to read through. Adam should be on Rupaul's drag race, he would win hands down. I don't get why everyone loves him and everytime Paula calls him a "genius," John Lennon roles over in his grave.

April 22 2009 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RLP

I just can't stand that Adam always has to take a song and add all these layers of performance or embellishment. It is never subtle and it is never understated and he cannot sing without looking like he is crying or without using falsetto. But I guess that's his style. *shrug* And I agree with with other people here that he is all about the visuals, the performance when the show is being watched... he is a Broadway performer, I get it. This is a singing competition and I guess EVERYONE ELSE fails because they can't perform like Adam.

Kris is a great musician. He does what he does and he loves it. If he goes home he'll still be the same artist. He's not trying to please anyone. I enjoy seeing what he does every week.

April 22 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply