October 21, 2014

Fringe: Bad Dreams

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 22nd 2009 8:04AM
Fringe - Bad Dreams
(S01E17) I really love it when Olivia works someone over, like she did in the above photo. But wow, this episode of Fringe was one psychological creep-fest from start to finish. As with last week's episode, they really had us feeling like something eerie was about to happen, and sure enough, a bunch of eerie stuff DID happen.

Just the idea that someone could possess mind-control abilities is creepy, and now it looks like at least one of our main characters -- Olivia, a.k.a. "Olive" -- might be in that situation. The scene on the street with Nick gathering followers and taking them to the rooftop gave me goosebumps. Olivia was really in a tough spot. Either shoot the guy with the mind-control powers, or let everyone die.

It was a good call on her part. And darkly funny when one of the people launched themselves off the roof and crashed into the car below, leading Walter to quip, "I sure hope Agent Dunham meant to do that." It's indicative of the Fringe writers' ability to be both creepy and funny at the same time.

And we're finally getting back around to ZFT and William Bell (and how cool to hear Leonard Nimoy's voice at the end, saying "Do we know what triggered it?") But oy, that video that Walter was watching. We've known that someone experimented on Olivia when she was a child, but did we know for sure it was Walter Bishop and William Bell? I think this was the first time we had something definitive on that. And how does Nina Sharp fit into it? She must have been part of it from the beginning.

And girl-on-girl action! Even if it was really via Nick Lane.

I'll leave you with Nick's chilling rooftop monologue to Olivia: "I think they meant for us to forget. I did what they told us. I waited to be called up, stayed fit, stayed focused, stayed ready, the call never came. It never came. That man with the glasses showed up at the hospital. He spoke all the old words. He said, they're coming, what was written will come to pass. He said he knew how to wake me up. I want to stop hurting people."

I look forward to your thoughts on this stellar episode of Fringe.

Fringe' Show & Cast Photos

FRINGE Walter (John Noble), Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) enter a governement warehouse to examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv), Walter (John Noble) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) return to the lab to gather more information on a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Walter (John Noble, L) and Peter (Joshua Jackson, R) examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival". Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 13: Actress Jasika Nicole attends FOX's "Fringe" premiere during the 2008 New York Television Festival at New World Stage on September 13, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jasika Nicole

Getty Images

Executive Producers John Wirth, Josh Friedman and James Middleton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Molly Stanton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Mark Valley arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

am_hollitz

I think the ZFT revelation in this episode isn't that Olivia is an initiate; we already knew that. It's that the initiates are being reactivated to fight a war against an opposing force from a parallel universe (which I gleaned from Nick's rooftop monologue and from what I heard Walter say in passing.)

That said, I'm sure we will see dopplegangers showing up at some point. And if the previous commenter is correct and Walter has mentioned Peter's possible twin, it would confirm my suspicion that Peter is also an initiate.

This would also explain why I feel Walter was trying to drown 9-year old Peter (via a car wreck.) Walter realized what the experiementation and the "drug testing" was doing to Peter and he couldn't let Peter become a "psyche-soldier".

April 23 2009 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

I loved how they showed Olivia at the beginning of the episode going through her closet -- all filled with black and gray clothing -- to get dressed; and then tied that scene to Nick later on opening HIS closet filled with with black and gray clothing, and then Nick tells Olivia the bit about 'I wore the blacks and grays' in his rooftop revelation.

So...does this mean that the Goths are the Warriors?

April 23 2009 at 1:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daveb

Did anyone else notice the doppleganger article she had read? is Olivia really Olive? I think that both her and Peter have dopplegangers... I swear Walter has almost confirmed it about Peter.

April 23 2009 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

One little thing. Nick was facing Olivia and all the other people on the edge of the roof were facing towards the street - all right on the edge. Shooting Nick in the knee/leg saved him, but all the other people were facing the other direction and they would have all fallen off the roof. It's not like everyone falls straight down when one of their legs goes out from under them - no way everyone would have been saved.

April 22 2009 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

I really loved this episode! It showed the best of it. I especially loved the fact they used a Lady Gaga song during one of Olivia's "dreams". Is it just me or is the show starting to play new songs? Last week it was Franz Ferdinand's song

April 22 2009 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donkey23

I've been pretty harsh on this show in the past, but I have to admit, I really enejoyed this episode of Medium/The X-Files. The whole thing at the end on the rooftop had a real warmed-over feel to it to me. How many times have we seen this storyline played out in Hollywood, with clandestine experimentation on children who grow up and have no memory of it--but somehow the memories creep through. For me, it also had a sort of feel like "The Forgotten" and "Dark City" to it. Really the whole amnesia bit is so cliche, that even this kind of twist on it has been done over and over again.

I think this show would be better on Friday nights with the Dollhouse, which is a show about people who are the subject of a large clandestine experiment, who have their memories erased, and yet somehow their memories creep through. Hmmm, where have I heard that before? I can't quite put my finger on it. But, I digress, pair this show with Dollhouse on Friday nights, and give Terminator the Tuesday slot following American Idol.

SAVE SARAH CONNOR!!!

As Dorv has pointed out to me recently, there are those of you who are J.J. Abrams/Fringe fans and also TSSC fans. So I implore you all to take some action to try and bring back the Sarah Connor Chronicles. I myself went out and bought the first season on DVD, photocopied the receipt, and am sending it today to the three addresses listed at the above web address.

I would invite everyone to do the same. Thanks.

April 22 2009 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Great episode. This series started off a bit slow but it's quickly becoming the show I most look forward to every week.

April 22 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Nick Lane also said something about "wearing the blacks and grays" (I assume he means colors of clothes) in his little speech on the roof.

I was a little disappointed with respect to the ZFT stuff. The preview said we'd get some shocking revelation about the ZFT manuscript. I watched it twice and have not learned anything we did not already know. And yes, we did know it was William Bell who was doing the testing of that drug on children. We already knew Olivia was tested. The Jones ZFT guys snatched her and did a spinal tap on her to confirm, and Jones insisted she was positive for the drug - plus the lightbulb test, which Olivia passed, goes even further to confirm she was exposed to the drug as a child. The call from Nina sharp at the end of "Ability" where she said there was also a testing done in Florida where she grew up (forget the exact city) also confirms, to an extent, that she was given the drug. I guess, if there was any doubt, now we know for absolute. But I thought we already did know that. And they didn't tell us anything about the ZFT manuscript. All they did was read us one of the same sentences over again. Of the whole 200 or so page manifesto, they couldn't read another line out of it?

I wish they'd put the ZFT manuscript up online somewhere, or leak it as a viral advertising thing, because right now, what I want most is to sit down and read the whole ZFT manuscript. That's the most interesting thing about the show right now, and if they're not going to read it to us (which would make for a dull episode or two), they should give us the opportunity for ourselves.

April 22 2009 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann B Martin

Good episode. It was nice for them to get back to the pattern this week. Although I don't mind saying Olivia's Niece and Sister are really annoying me! Can't stand when they put acutesy little kid on shows like this! YUCK!!

April 22 2009 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John E. Litton

Did you also see 'The Watchman' crossing the street, this time wearing a hat?

April 22 2009 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply