November 26, 2014

Reaper: The Home Stretch

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 22nd 2009 12:43AM
Reaper(S02E08) In which Sam once again proves that he's in a world of poop and the Devil once again proves that he's evil.

With this show likely to not last beyond this season, I am wondering how the creators are going to end the show. Will they use a cliffhanger or at least give a satisfying ending to the viewers?

Tonight's episode juggled four storylines (and very successfully, I should say). The first involved Sam and his brother Morgan and their (non-)competition to catch a soul. The second was the search for the escaped soul Alan (a goal Andi desires so she can get back with Sam). The third was Sock's funeral misadventures. The fourth was Ben's relationship with both Nina and his grandmother.

It's interesting how a lot of themes and storylines of the show intertwine with or echo each other. Sam wants to lose a competition with his brother Morgan so both of them end up happier, then he learns that to get his soul back, he has to beat the Devil in a competition. As a result of the Devil's manipulation of events, Sam wins the contest, earning the ire of Morgan. As a result of Ben's stubbornness, he earns the ire of Nina, another denizen of Hell.

One problem with the show, however, is that they're not clear about the rules regarding going to Heaven or Hell. They seem to be constantly shifting and that could be intentional, but that lack of clarity could be costing them viewers.

Another problem with this show is character inconsistency. Didn't Andi not want to be with Sam last week? What changed her mind? Also, doesn't Sam have special powers? Has that plot point been abandoned, as well?

Sock was funny as a funeral crasher. He is so going to Hell. The Vatican City video was a riot as well.

Once again, the escaped soul had no special powers (unless building the doorway to Hell was his power). Notice that despite their intense fight, nobody bled. Is that their power?

It's a minor point, but Nina couldn't have gone to Ben's nephew's confirmation. Wouldn't it have been in a church?

The new Work Bench employee reminds me of Gerry Bednob's character on The 40-Year-Old Virgin with such lines as "I'm gonna work my sack off" and "I would kill for that ass."

The Devil is always pretty manipulative, but he was moreso in this episode, what with the situation with Morgan and with Alan. I figured the Devil was going to crash the plane. The emergency landing in Las Vegas came as a particularly cruel and ironic surprise.

Ray Wise remains the best part of the show (while I do enjoy Tyler Labine's character, he does wear on me). I'm sorry he appeared for so little of tonight's episode, but next week seems to be Devil-heavy. One can hope.

I do like this show, although tonight's episode seemed somewhat poorly planned. I will be sorry when it's gone at the end of the season, and I hope the creators can work out a satisfying ending.

Justin

You say it juggled the 4 story lines quite well then the last para you say it seemed poorly planned.. which is it?

May 05 2009 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hayley

can someone please tell me who the blonde at the end was? the one on the plane? I really recognise her from somewhere and it's driving me mad! Thanks to whoever knows who she is!

April 29 2009 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I meant to add.. I could see where maybe the devil is trying to light a fire under morgan to step up and take on Sam.

Also from a few eps ago... when Sam was talking to his dad...his dad cannot talk about it.. like he knows sam is not son of devil but sam has to find out on his own

April 23 2009 at 7:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Did you notice the devil bet his secretary sam would win... hasn't the devil had bets before? Though i think this bet is a quick cheap end to show.

Emergency landing in vegas and free spending money ($100) from the airline. If Alan fails to make it to Italy..they could ask Tony how to get the devil to accept a bet.

Sam didn't win because the devil manipulated anything...if Morgan hadn't switched the vessel Sam would have got the guy and Morgan would have returned the soul and won.

April 23 2009 at 7:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catko

Reaper is a great show, with Ray Wise as the Devil, cute sidekicks, a hero whose soul is damned?

Groovy demons and a scary undertone? Come on, people, support Reaper!

All info here: http://community.livejournal.com/reaperdmv/37449.html

April 22 2009 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Underwood

I am sad that it looks like this show is "going to hell", but I will be able to make peace with it as long as they can give us a final episode and not a cliff hanger.

April 22 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

The devil couldn't crash the plane because since Alan hasn't sinned since being back on earth he would probably go to heaven. Now after he puts a quarter in the slot machine he's fair game.

I find it interesting that Sam, Sock and Ben don't make any effort to not sin inspite of knowing that there really is a hell.

April 22 2009 at 11:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kirsten

It really saddens me that this show might not last. Every week I enjoy watching-it's almost like a Christopher Moore book come to life. It makes me laugh like no other show can right now.

April 22 2009 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Key Rick

This show and Chuck, both on the bubble and/or nearly gone, I'll miss, but the actors, like the creators of Reaper, may want to move on, too. Why wouldn't Sam's Mom be in a single episode this season? His living dead Dad mentions her, but I wonder why no show? Small complaint, I know, but since you mentioned dropped plot threads...

April 22 2009 at 7:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply