April 24, 2014

Star Trek movie is best thing ever created at any time for any reason

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 22nd 2009 11:20AM
Star Trek movie
The new Star Trek movie has already opened in places like England, France, and Australia. I'm not sure why it opened there first, but the reviews so far have been pretty much off the charts. Variety loves it, The Daily Mail calls it "the best prequel of all-time," Empire says it's "the most exhilarating Trek to date," Urban Cinefile says it's "an extraordinary achievement," Cinema Blend says it's "the best Trek movie since The Wrath of Khan," and Aint It Cool News says "it makes Gone with the Wind look like a maggot-infested crapfest." Well, no, but they say it's really great.

(If you click on the links above, expect SPOILERS.)

chuck

I just got the Star Trek ring tone on my phone by Texting TREKKIE to 30303 and received the Star Trek: Next Generation Theme... and its Cool every time my phone rings
I get flash backs from my movie experience loll... Yeah I'm a dork

May 27 2009 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trekie

Betrayed.

Enjoyed the movie while watching it- especially the clever bits of how the characters first met- but woke up the morning after feeling betrayed. Wow. They just revamped the entire ST timeline, anything's game from the early timeline forward. What a great franchise opp. Gee, thanks JJAbrams for figuring out a way to make $ off the new version. Wonder how Gene would feel.

May 10 2009 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

I am just hoping it isn't another "shoot 'em up and expode 'em all" type movie relying on computer generated stuff explosive effects" and vast amounts of noise. Even the last James Bond movie fell into this category and it seems the current "recipe for box office success" BORING!
I guess there is an audience for that, but it's not what I want. So again I hope this new movie is really good.

April 22 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Futile

Won't open before may 6th in France. But Paris really is nice in april-may. And the weather is good so ....

April 22 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Murray

Before anybody books a ticket, the article is wrong to say it's opened in England. Yes, they had the star-studded premiere for charity yesterday in Leicester Square, but it opens here at the same time it opens in the States.

The same is probably true for the other countries mentioned in this story.

April 22 2009 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Murray's comment
jdslater1

Just about to add the same thing.

April 22 2009 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Usama

I'm a Trekkie, and I think I'm going to love it.

April 22 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I'm excited to see it!!

April 22 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Would it be wrong of me to fly to England so I can see it now? It would, wouldn't it? Probably?

April 22 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to R-Bro's comment
David

April 22 2009 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Seems like the Trekkies are going to hate it and the mainstream is going to love it.

April 22 2009 at 1:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andrew's comment
Jimmy

Trekkies were bound to hate it at first. They are not a group that likes change. They hated Star Trek: TNG before it even aired and then came around. Some Trekkies may never like this film because it doesn't feature the original cast and dares to fiddle with the shows very detailed mythology.

Being a Trekkie myself, I'm looking forward to seeing what JJ Abrams has done. If it reinvigorates the franchise, then it's OK with me.

April 22 2009 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply