September 18, 2014

The Unusuals: One Man Band - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 22nd 2009 9:03AM
The Unusuals

So, are you into The Unusuals? Or are you avoiding this show because you're still ticked that ABC canceled Pushing Daisies, Dirty Sexy Money, and/or Life on Mars? Discuss last night's bonus episode or the show, in general, starting ... now! (Note: there's another new episode tonight in its regular time slot.)

johnny karr

Does anybody know who did the great rock song at the end of "One Man Band"?

April 27 2009 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arlaisfale

Fantastic series, kind of like Arrested Development meets Law and Order. I love it.

April 26 2009 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iKitty

You kind of hit the nail on the head. I been DVr'ing it every week but I am totally afraid to start caring about it because I know ABC will rip it out from my TV line up faster than you can say Eli Stone. I think its well done, quirky and really funny at times but having those traits seems to be the kiss of death for any show on ABC. I am slightly anxious while watching the show because i do really like it and just know it's not going to be around for long.

April 26 2009 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mbemom

While I am still ticked about Daisies and Mars, I decided to give this show a try even though I am certain it is doomed. If for no other reason than I enjoy it, which is a death knell for many shows.

Having said that, I like it. It's a little different without being over the top. It's got potential but I highly doubt it will be given the chance to realize it (Kings, anyone?)

April 23 2009 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donkey23

mosbutnotall got it right: If you want to see quirky cop done right, then nobody does it better than Life, which would be a shame to lose.

This show...I have nothing against...just nothing to draw me in. Amber Tamblyn is far and away no Sarah Shahi--she plays Dani Reese on Life, and is reason enough on her own to pick Life over a lot of other cop shows.

Following Lost is a death slot anyway--everything feels like a letdown after absorbing another hour of Lost. Life on Mars was about as good an effort as you're gonna get.

Anyone else remark how much Jeremy Renner looks like Nathon Fillion from Castle & Firefly? It almost as if the producers casting The Unusuals said, get us Nathan Fillion...what?...he's doing Castle?...then get me a guy who looks like Nathan Fillion. BTW, when is Castle on? I haven't even run across that show yet...

April 22 2009 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I'm personally a big fan, not just because Amber Tamblyn is in it, either. But you know what will kill it? Moving it around to "special nights" and then getting annoyed when people don't automatically tune in. Can we please stop moving shows around or showing multiple new episodes in one week, please?

April 22 2009 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Yeah... Like "Fringe" or "Trust Me", I really want to like this show, but nothing so far has gotten me really interested. (although this last ep was my fav thus far)

I'll admit that I came into this expecting some more on the funny side of things and it hasn't been that, but I think I'm ok with that. I love quirky and that's what I was looking for here, but this isn't the fun quirky I expected.

I like the guy from SWAT (the 2003 movie, not the tv show or the actual police unit) and his story sounds interesting but other than that, none of the other characters interest me. Even Adam Goldberg, who I was really looking forward to seeing here.

I don't know what it is. Maybe its just too much in the middle, it's not funny enough to be one of my favorites comedies AND it's not serious enough to be one of my favorite dramas...

April 22 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
norwegianne

I've tried both this and Castle, and I think I'll be sticking with Castle. The Unusuals, to me, seem to be *trying* too hard to make something new and original, and have most of the characters be originals and have their secrets... I prefer Castle, even though it may be the more unrealistic cop shows of the two, at least it makes me laugh. The Unusuals just have me fast-forwarding a lot to get to the end.

April 22 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles

This episode was the tipping point for me from a "wait and see" to a "Tivo it." It hasn't hit "Tivo and keep until I watch" status (though I have been guarding the episodes against the deluge of "House," that always seems to be on).

It follows a lot of "cop show" conventions, but always something with a different take. I also like how it seems to have many layers and twists. Take the thread that started with the one man band, went to the murder store, then the abusive parole officer. Each substory showed an interesting progression. The partners in that plot have a neat chemistry.

The Amber Tamblyn plot was OK, though the "rich girl hiding in a working class job" thing is a bit cliche. The born-again cop is probably the plot I was least interested in, but maybe it will develop.

I also like a lot of the throw-away bits: the lieutenant who seems to be a space nut, or watching the cop pull his desk out of the cell.

I don't think I'll have "Firefly"-levels of hurt if it is canceled, but I'll miss it. Then, I'll move on.

April 22 2009 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

This & Castle are the only cop shows I actually watch.

April 22 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply