October 25, 2014

ABC gives early renewals to 12 shows

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Apr 23rd 2009 5:05PM
ABCIt's that time of year again when network executives are having meetings after meetings to decide which shows we should be watching next season. The CW announced the renewal of six of its shows about two months ago but besides that announcement, news of renewals have been rare when compared to news of cancellations.

Today, ABC sent out a press release confirming the twelve of its series would return for the 2009-2010 season. As you'll see after the jump, it was pretty much a given that those series would get another year either due to their ratings or the low cost of production compared to the money the show brings in with sponsors and ads.

Since the network agreed with the show creators to end the show after six seasons, it's no surprise that Lost is found amongst the twelve shows renewed by ABC. It was also a given that Brothers & Sisters, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy would be renewed due to their ratings. (Yes, sadly we will have to endure Meredith Grey's whining for another season.)

There are two slight surprises in the scripted shows category though. ABC decided to renew Private Practice and Ugly Betty. Private Practice had a so-so second season as it's still trying to find itself storywise. I guess what saved the show is the move to Thursdays at 10 p.m. right after Grey's Anatomy. Giving PP such a lead in surely helped ratings-wise which gave enough reasons for the network to renew the medical drama. As for Ugly, fans were really afraid that the show would get canceled when ABC decided to bench the series in favor of episodes of In the Motherhood and Samantha Who? Luckily for Betty fans, the network saw that they had a better product with Ugly on Thursdays than with their new comedy block.

In the reality category, America's Funniest Home Videos will be back for Season 20! Can you believe we have been entertained by stupid videos for that many years?! It's no surprise to see Dancing with the Stars return for a ninth season as the show is doing really well in the ratings and in the magazines! Feel good Sunday night reality series Extreme Makeover: Home Edition will return as well as Fridays' reality duo Supernanny and Wife Swap.

Money must be talking because I don't understand why ABC renewed The Bachelor! Don't adjust your computer screen, you read right. We will get a 14th cycle of "the most dramatic rose ceremony ever!"

Are you happy with these twelve renewals? Do you wish some of those shows would have been canceled instead? What ABC show that has yet to be renewed to you want to see return next season? Let your opinion be heard in comments below.

My answers to those three questions are: No. Grey's Anatomy, Brothers & Sisters, Private Practice and The Bachelor. Castle.

[via Variety]

Cathy

The Unusuals should have been given another season.

May 18 2009 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ML11

PLEASE...keep Castle..a fun and just well done show.
I would hope that with the finale ending last night..that it HAS been renewed. I would hate to think ABC would end the show that way. Great cast !

May 12 2009 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mtra11

please please please......abc...renew Castle. It is such
a fun and well done show. The ending last night..the finale...makes me think..and hope it HAS been renewed.
I would hope that abc would not end the show that way.
Enough of these reality shows..and Howie Do It...ugh.

May 12 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonnie

The show "Castle" definitely needs to be renewed!!!!! One of my favorite shows on tv. The chemistry is wonderful between the characters and the scripts are well written and intelligent. Come on ABC, keep one show on that I enjoy!! I need my Nathan fix!!!

May 11 2009 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wisssr

Keep Castle! I love that show. I don't get ABC - if it's not a reality show or a lame sit-com it has to go? I was devestated when Dirty Sexy Money was cancelled! Now they are going to take away Castle? Amazing! And for the record - I've never watch Ugly Betty or the Bachelor. Guess it's back to the cable channels for me.

May 01 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebelvickster

Samantha Who should be renewed, In the Motherhood...no

May 01 2009 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

I guess Private Practice will be canceled after the third season. Expect ratings going down like a stone. The move to the post-Greys slot could help only for a short time. So the same time next year we will not have the PP renewal announcement.
Which is actually good. The show's writing is horrible. There are some very talented actors on the show, especially Tim Daly and Audra McDonald, that deserve much better.

April 30 2009 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Castle...it's the best new program on this season. But with the way ABC cancels good programs, I'm not holding my breath. I was a huge fan of Eli Stone, so hopefully my wanting Castle doesn't turn out to be the kiss of death.

April 30 2009 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

Castle deserves renewal!
It's one show I've actually looked forward to watching every week, since it started.
Get rid of some reality TV *cough*The Bachelor*cough* and make room for some TV shows that are actually worth watching.

April 30 2009 at 6:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply