American Idol: 2 of 7 go home

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 23rd 2009 12:24AM

American Idol - Lil Rounds and Anoop Desai go homeTwo of the seven remaining contestants on American Idol went home this week. And this time, they actually did go home. It seems like the producers have been trying to psych us out all season, throwing as many surprises as they can to keep the show fresh. Not so tonight. Two went home, and it was no surprise to me who those two were.

But first, we got to see some behind-the-scenes stuff as the Idols prepared for their group number. When Ryan said they called on a huge name in the choreography world for this week's group number, I was pleasantly shocked to see that it was Paula.

It was nice to see her dance again. Makes me want to go back and watch some of her vintage music videos. Thinking about it also took my mind off the goofy disco outfits the Idols were wearing. Anoop had quite the George Michael look going.

Then came the results. Lil was up first, and Ryan wasted no time sending her home. She's outta there. Randy said the requisite "it's just the beginning" speech, and Simon said he's still a fan of Lil's, even though she made some bad decisions. He'll also miss her screaming family in the audience.

The next part of the show made me cringe. It was a medley of disco tunes sung by some old-timey disco singers: Freda Payne (I didn't even know who she was, and I lived through the disco era), Thelma Houston, and KC of KC and the Sunshine Band. It was all just disturbing and creepy, like seeing your grandparents on stage in sparkly disco clothes doing the hustle. Are there no other disco performers who can actually still sing anymore? I'm sure they must be out there.

Anyway, I'm still recovering from that, but let's move on to the eliminations. Kris Allen, Adam Lambert, Danny Gokey, and Matt Giraud were all safe. Allison Iraheta and Anoop Desai were in the bottom.

But they had to wait until after David Archuleta sang "Touch My Hand." He's such a little cutie-pie, and he's headed for the UK and touring with Demi Lovato. He gave Allison and Anoop a little pep talk. But Anoop needed it most, because he got the boot, while Allison was safe for another week.

So Anoop and Lil were sent home tonight. Do you think America made the right decision with these two?

Cheshire

American Idol got a much needed shot in the arm on Disco Night. KC with or without the Sunshine Band (the girl dancers were hot!) can, in a moment, remind you of a time when music was dynamic-and sweet. He moved like a guy in his 30's (he's not) and about his weight, yeah he's bigger-but so what? I went out and bought a classics KC and The Sunshine Band cd-rocked all the way to Vegas on a long journey. The earlier silly comments about Tony Soprano-if TS could sing maybe the series would still be on the air! I didn't know KC WROTE all of those hits (the CD confirmed this) my goodness-what a talent! Hey KC-"keep It coming, Love". Your fans grow every day. "Please Don't Go"-ever!

April 26 2009 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richie

These comments about KC of the Sunshine Band are WAY off base. So the guy has aged, and he is heavier, and, and, and-how about AND his music is being played somewhere as we speak (Try to spend a day without hearing "Boogie Shoes", or "That's the Way I like it" or "Get Down Tonight") AND he has a collection of Emmys, AND he still performs (I saw him last year and tore the place up) AND you'll see why taking on a legend, who has the guts to perform to a national audience, live, and still make you sing along, is stupid and petty. Lets keep score and see how many peformers today are around 30+ years from now, and still able to BRING IT. Shame on you morons. Study the past and learn something.

April 26 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cindy

Matt is extremely talented and he deserved to make it through. He will be in his element during this coming week. He is a very sweet, and talented guy. He will keep making it far.

April 25 2009 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Victoria

I read the comment about KC and I happen to love Tony Soprano and KC from KC & the Sunshine Band they both have the same sex appeal that so many millions of women and I repeat woman not little girls could appreciate....So those that have a mental capacity of a Moron to make such a stupid comment should applaud this incrediable Grammy Award winning Disco Dynamite named KC....I would love to see you try to just get up in front of millions let alone to sing without your band!

April 25 2009 at 7:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Adam truly does not need the title -- which could actually hurt him in the long run given his kind of music -- just look at Daughtry. He didn't win idol and he was the biggest success, followed by Elliot Yamin (who finished third) that year.

If you are favorites of Matt, Kris or Danny -- they would benefit more from the title since Adam clearly has fans already and it sucks that he has already been declared the winner when 8 great idols were still competing. This is the most amazing group I think in the history of Idol -- Not just Adam -- and you guys must agree with that.

Matt is an amazing talent and I wish more of you would open your eyes and give this guy a chance.

April 25 2009 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tmr

Yes I do! Lil should of been the one sent home last week instead of them having to use the save on Matt who should of never been in the bottom three. Look though it sure woke his fans up. He wasn't even in the bottom three this week. I do agree that we need a shocker though like Danny going home or Kris going home next week that would be interesting to watch. Oh yeah Paula did an amazing job working with those kids. She is still a great choreographer. I thought that was the best group performance so far this year.

April 24 2009 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Yes, they could've recruited disco greats that can still sing, but I think David Bowie charges a little more than they could afford. These 3 were probably very cheap - yet another reason to FF:o)

April 23 2009 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

Say what you will about Paula, but that opening lip-sych was HOT. I was watching and doing something else before the show came on so I didn't catch that she was the choreographer until after it was over and I said "wow, they are really pulling it out tonight" to my partner.

So yea, she's still got that going for her. :D

April 23 2009 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sww

Seems like it's going to come down to Kris and Adam in the final -- I hope! -- and that would be a pretty interesting final. Two totally distinct styles and artists, both with huge, passionate fan bases. If that happens, I'm there.

If it's Adam and Gokey (per the producers pimping), blerg. What a bore.

By the way, totally amused by Gokey's stupid "I meditated on how not to be clumsy next week." Whatever. I don't think that he can take his performances to any level except church worship leader at a mega church on a cruise ship. That's just who he is.

April 23 2009 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I actually thought the dancing was good and sort of entertaining, during the Idols' disco medley. The lip-synching was awful though. As for the disco medley by the disco dinos (Frida, Thelma and KC)... yikes. Thelma can still belt, and I dug her energy. Frida was a little painful to watch, and KC was simply excruciating. He looked bloated and out of sorts, and didn't even appear to be having fun. Why do it? With all due respect... give your legacy the respect it deserves, and retire for God's sake.
Wasn't surprised about Lil. She lasted far longer than I would have thought, and she'll make some cruise ship or casino a lovely lounge singer. I was shocked to see Allison up there with her, though. Alison has one of the 3 best voices in the crowd, behind Adam and Danny, respectively. Kris has a good voice, but very limited vocal range... like a James Taylor. His vocal talent is in the styling, not soaring. Matt's definitely gonna be next to go. Boy's got musical chops, but very little charisma to back it up... and performance is half the battle here, isn't it?

April 23 2009 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Jen

I agree!! That was the best dance where they "were in psynch" since the beginning!!!!

April 23 2009 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply