April 23, 2014

Ladies and gentlemen, the best of Shepard Smith

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 23rd 2009 3:27PM
Shep Smith is one of my favorite people on television. He's always entertaining, informative, fair, and (yes) balanced! He's also a great source for those priceless "live news" moments that make for great video fodder. Here are a few of my favorites, including a new one where the F-bomb is launched (PopEater has even more Shep goodness).

bruce

Mike: My ability to withstand torture is irrelevant. I concede I'd cave in within a few minutes.

I personally do believe McCain is a war hero, and it should not be held against him that he caved in to the torture. And yes, as you point out he stayed, although he did so based on the universally understood "first in first out" rule of American POWs (he said so in his book).

HOWEVER, that being said, I am simply treating McCain the way he and his party treat the Democrats. I will not accept double standards, especially when they are completely baseless. So, until I'm satisfied that Obama would not be called a traitorous wimp communist appeasor if he were the one who caved in to Vietnamese torture and spoke out against America during a time of war, I'll continue to insult McCain.

April 24 2009 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I would torture the crap out anyone who would seek to blow-up, decapitate, vaporize, rape then murder, innocent women, men and children. Waterboarding is a joke...oh no! a COLD room. Try walking across Russia in winter and then going against tanks for three months as you starve (WWII). Our generation are a bunch of little girls.

April 24 2009 at 4:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Shep Smith is my secret crush. I LOVE him!

I let my husband have the Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders as his crush.

Fair exchange if you ask me. Shep is dreamy! :)

April 23 2009 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
soxy

# 5 is lol funny squared. MSNBC is the radical left side of Fox's conservative wing nuts. Talk about wanting your bias echoed!
FYI the f bomb comment was online on streaming video. I watch Fox news or rather I watch Shep Smith. I love the guy. He is real, wicked sarcastic, funny and above all calls 'em like he sees 'em.

April 23 2009 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

The graphics are odd on that first clip. White logo instead of the spnning red, white & blue graphic.

The font for LIVE is also different from what the network usually uses - unless that's the style for Studio B.

I could be wrong but the fact that Shep pushes back from the desk makes me think this conversation was not on the air. It looks like pre-show studio discussion that someone has dressed up to look like it aired.

Did anyone see this air live?

April 23 2009 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim's comment
soxy

Online not on air

April 23 2009 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I too am surprised that Shepard Smith is being allowed to take a position in opposition to Dick Cheney. I've watched plenty of Fox News and they most certainly are NOT fair and balanced. Fair and balanced news does not sell - people want to hear "news" that corresponds to their own world views. If you're a christofascist you watch Fox News, if you're not you watch MSNBC.

Of course, the republican party is basically split these days on the torture issue. It really amazes me, though, that in a short 50 or so years our political debate has gone from whether or not the tax code should provide for a depletion allowance to whether or not we should be torturing people we don't like.

I despise Fox News, but when Shepard Smith is right, he is right. Well said, Shep. We DO NOT FUCKING TORTURE, and it doesn't matter if it "works" (which it does not despite Dick Cheney's claims to the contrary).

In case anyone doesn't know what Dick is doing, when we tortured one of the high-up al queda members (waterboarded him 183 times in one month), the guy started doing what anyone in that situation would do - he started to lie. He said "okay okay I give, I give, there will be a second wave of terrorist attacks." He made it up to get the torture to stop, and sure enough, there was not a second wave of terrorist attacks. But Cheney and his ilk presume the truth of the (false) admission and take the credit for "preventing" the "second wave of terrorist attacks"... even though no such plot ever existed in the first place. Thus, Dick has the chutzpah to claim that torture works. But he knows it doesn't. So that begs the question - why did he want to torture people? We know he's not going to admit he did something wrong, so to that extent he is going to keep on maintaining that torture works, and he'll keep on invoking the "ticking timebomb scenario" that only happens on dumbass TV shows like 24, but never in real life, to justify it. Unfortunately a lot of Americans (half the Republican party) are too dumb to understand that real life is not like 24. In real life we don't get a fly on the wall view of a terrorist doing terrorist bomb-setting things, and when he's captured in real life the terrorist doesn't say "Muahah yes I know where the ticking bomb is but I will never tell you muahaha you will all die muahaha!".

The purpose of torture is to get people to give FALSE statements/confessions. Like when that wimp John McCain was tortured by the Vietnamese, he caved in and read a confession on the radio saying that America was evil and he had been committing crimes on behalf of America. The other American POWs took the torture but McCain, the wimp that he is, caved in and recited false information, severely hurting the American war effort against the communists. We lost the Vietnam war in part because of McCain's treason. But because he's a Republican his actions are okay. If John Kerry, on the other hand, had caved in to communist torture and gave a public, treasonous, anti-American statement intended to give comfort to our enemies during time of war, does anyone think he would have been elected to sit on a local school board, let alone Congress, let alone a presidential candidate? Of course not. The Republicans would have eaten him alive, calling him a treasonous coward wimp pinko-pussy communist-appeaser. It would have been all Hannity and Limbaugh ever talked about. They did it anyway with the swift-boat crap. But I digress. Torture is meant to get FALSE info, not accurate/truthful info. False information does not, can not, ever, in any way, "protect America."

All these torture-mongers need to be indicted and thrown in prison. Meanwhile, Obama is becoming the biggest appeaser of torture the world has ever seen. If someone tortured his family, would he "look forward and not backward" and not bring criminal charges? I've practiced criminal defense for years, and not once have I, or any other attorney, ever told a judge that charges should be dismissed because we should "look forward not backward." Who cares about whether or not my client murdered his family, that's all in the past, we should just look forward to the future. I'd be disbarred. Obama should be, too. Meanwhile, if the situation were reversed, the Republicans would prosecute the SHIT out of Obama and every Democrat who so much as knew about the torture program. Obama would be sitting in a prison cell right now, held without bail, facing a 400-page federal indictment. Why do the Democrats not have the balls to prosecute Republicans? Why is Obama so damn spineless? Why is Obama giving so much ground and letting the Republicans take advantage of him under the guise of wanting to be "bipartisan"? Bipartisanship is a means, not an end, and Obama won the election - Bipartisa

April 23 2009 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bruce's comment
emtae

You kos kids are really unhinged.

You whine about IMPEACH, and now you whine about INDICT.

Obama knows another attack now would be on his watch. He's not going to stick his neck out too far on this and have to deal with the backlash on that too, if that particular situation were to arise.

Some Dems are only talking about this now to pacify the whiney left. Nothing will happen to Bush, Cheney or anyone else about this.

April 23 2009 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Calm down, first of all if McCain was the wimp you are talking about he would have just taken the offer to go home when they found out who his dad was. But he stayed in the prison because he didn't want to give the Vietnamese any sort of propaganda for them to say how nice they are. He was a POW for almost 6 years, and yes he was broken after a year of being there, and only after severe torture. You sound like someone who wouldn't even last a couple days, let alone 6 years. You may not care for his politics but John McCain is a war hero, you should show a little respect.

Oh and waterboarding did work, it helped us capture other terrorists.

April 24 2009 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

#2 was laugh out loud funny. I guess he is safe because the PTC is too busy moaning about Fox to watch Fox News.

April 23 2009 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Zachary's comment
DanGarion

Cable channels aren't held to the same "decency" standards as over the air broadcast channels, fortunately.

April 23 2009 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

How is he allowed to keep his job at Fox News when he doesn't think the U.S. should torture? Isn't that a requirement for those people these days? I actually have some respect for him. I wonder how long he'll be allowed to stay on Fox.

April 23 2009 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Gig

Scott do you think the fact that he has kept his job at Fox News for so long is that what you think of Fox News is wrong.

April 23 2009 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply