July 28, 2014

Lost: an open thread about last night's annoying recap show

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 23rd 2009 8:37AM
Lost

OK, maybe "annoying" is too harsh, as I can see people being into recap shows if they're done well. Then again, if you're a big fan of Lost, then you've already seen this stuff and you're really aching for a new episode.

So did you enjoy last night's recap episode, or was it just an irritation to you? Do you welcome weeks where there's either a repeat or a recap so you can take your mind off of the show for a bit? Take the poll after the jump and leave your thoughts in the comments below.

What do you think of Lost's recap episodes?
I love them!44 (3.9%)
I hate them, they're annoying.563 (49.3%)
They're OK, but only once a season please!535 (46.8%)

tana green

How does a chronological order help when people are time traveling in the flash and changing the events of the past (and presumably also the future). People die and spring back to life (it's the island). I mean, Lost is a hoot, but there's no sense to it. I still think it's all Hurley's paranoid delusion lived out in his mental hospital. Scary number, perils of poor people winning the lottery. It will just make them crazy. So rich republican in thinking.

May 08 2009 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bejaedblost

I don't mind the clip shows but only when Damon and Carlton are included. It's worth watching to hear their perspective on things....and Damon is nice to look at!! Last week's was a major let down.

April 26 2009 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

I was so annoyed...ABC sold us all a bill of goods with this with all the buildup to just be a colossal repeat! I switched to "Criminal Minds" which I actually enjoy more, but since it is opposite "Lost" and I've so much already invested in it, I don't want to get lost following "Lost"!!!! There were 2 excellent eps of "Criminal Minds" by the way.

April 25 2009 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew

I turned it off and watched Castle on my DVR.

April 23 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I usually enjoy the recaps because I don't have my mind wrapped around the whole story and they help me. I haven't seen the one from last night yet, though.

April 23 2009 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I actually liked the recap show. Obviously it was filler but I found it helpful to understand a show that has become too dense and too confusing more often than not.

April 23 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tool's comment
Effie

I prefer the rerun episodes that sometimes run before the current (new) episode. The "bubbles" at the bottom are a good recap.

This recap never explained why Hurley decided to return to the island. Or did I miss something?
F

April 23 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barry

Hurley's reasons/method for returning to the island has not been shown yet. Neither has Sun's, really, although I'm not sure there's any "there" there.

Jack, Kate, Sayid and Ben's sequence of events leading up to the plane have been shown this season. At least most of them.

April 23 2009 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Ian, you're right on the money. Darlton promised the season would run straight through with no re-runs. That's why they've filled in gaps with enhanced episodes and clip shows.

For those of you who are interested or need a night off, there's another recap episode scheduled to air on May 13.

April 23 2009 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Matt's comment
DaveTehWave

Where are you getting this info?
I'm seeing May 13th as the 2hr season finale...

April 23 2009 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

The second clip show is currently in edit. I was told it was airing the 13th. Perhaps the first hour of the 2 hour finale is a recap. They've done it before.

April 23 2009 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Here's the real issue:

ABC started the season in January, with a 2 hour season premiere. In order to have a 2 hour finale during May Sweeps, they needed to take 2 weeks off.

For next season, which of these 2 scenarios would you prefer:
1. The new season of Lost starts in Mid-January, with a few weeks of no new episodes through the run
2. Start the 1st or 2nd week on February (9 months after the season finale) and run with no repeats until the end.

April 23 2009 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jimmy's comment
Andy

Um, #2. By a million miles.

April 23 2009 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

I have no problem with them. They help some viewers keep up and enjoy the show more, and it's not even impossible they might hook one or two odd new viewers who have been curious but a bit hesitant (True, it's not going to hook a lot of new viewers, but there are people who will give even complex shows a chance if they can get at least a general idea of what's going on. I should know, I'm one of those people. :-) )

It's just one week. I'm a big boy and can go that long without a new episode if it helps others enjoy the show and maybe even helps keep the ratings healthy by keeping people onboard and snagging a new fish or two.

April 23 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jffm's comment
ia

I strongly prefer a recap show at the beginning of each new season of LOST. And NO recap shows at certain points of the
new season. Throwing a recap show this late in Season 5 just
throws everything & everyone off. My husband recorded Wed.'s
recap show, but I told him that we'll tape over it with Episode 14
"The Variable." That's how much I love these recap shows!!

April 23 2009 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

I didnt watch it, because the reason I buy the seasons is so that if I get confused I can go back and watch it. I dont need to see a 2 hour recap to get me back into swing.

April 23 2009 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply