August 22, 2014

Scrubs: My Cuz

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 23rd 2009 11:04AM
Scrubs: My Cuz
(S08E16)
We're in the homestretch now, folks. Things are advancing in the world of Sacred Heart. And when characters who've been living more or less the same lives for eight years all of a sudden get new jobs, urges to return to old ones, or pangs to move away, you know a finale is a-comin'.

It's kind of too bad, since this season has been pretty satisfying for the most part. As Bill Lawrence and his crew have gotten down to basics, the show has gotten funnier, more personal, and more dramatic (when drama is called for). In fact, this has probably been the best season since season four, and it's good to see that the show still has hilarious episodes like this one still in them.

Oh, can I take a second to give ABC's online player some high praise? I missed the show last night (I taught a seminar in NYC), so I watched it online this morning. The player takes forever to load, but its full screen picture is fantastic! No jumps or skips, and, unlike some players, no blockiness even though it claims to be HD. It's almost as if I was watching it on my TV, and that's the way every online player should be. Wonder how ABC was finally able to get theirs to work (I remember how sucky the player was when it was introduced).

OK, my DVR's guide ruined the Sean surprise. Still, it was nice to see both Scott Foley and Elizabeth Banks back into the fold, though I can't imagine them dating each other (Sean was so perfect for Elliot... oh, well). It seems like that the antagonism he and J.D. had towards each other has increased over the years ("You said good!" "No one cares, Sean!"), but it makes sense. Good to see at least some sort of peace was reached, though, and as much as J.D. wanted to be "weiner cousins" (ewww), I'm glad to see Sean look at him like he was crazy.

Though there seems to be lots of "cuzes" around the hospital, no? Turk and an orderly, Snoop Dog doc and an older doc (Beardface? Didn't catch a close glimpse... anyway, it was with Laverne... at the same time. Yikes), and Janitor and Kelso. God knows how many "bajingo sisters" are floating around that hospital.

We end the episode with J.D. wanting to move closer to Kim and Sam. Knowing that the finale isn't going to be about J.D. and Elliot (Lawrence has talked about that a number of times), I'm curious to see if Eliot decides to go up there with him right away or decides to stay at Sacred Heart for awhile. But either way, it's the most mature decision the man has ever made. He wants to be a full-time dad, and he just can't do that from a distance. So, if it means being separated from loved ones (Turk, not Elliot), so be it.

So, Turk is now the cheif of surgery. Seems kinda young for the job. But even Bobbo admitted that Turkelton was the best all-around surgeon there, and everyone likes him, so why not? Even if it did take Carla leveraging her friendship with Cox to get him the job. Though, Cox has always had a special brand of hatred for "Gandhi," so maybe having her fight his battles for him isn't such a bad idea. Heck, I'd never be too proud to have Carla fighting for me; she generally wins.

More fun stuff:
  • Minimal intern action this week, though I liked how Bobbo called Sunny "the foreign one."
  • Bob wanting to go back to being an active physician was not a surprise; heck, I figured he'd go open his own practice as soon as he was "retired" by the hospital.
  • Wow, Janitor really swung and missed with that "Chief" hat, no? He wanted it to be embarrassing, but Turk loved it. At least he made one for himself.
  • No Ted this week. Other than that, all hands on deck.
  • I just loved the scene in the cold open with Elliot's impulsive car sex. But I also like that she knows that the pervy bicyclist likes to take pictures and doesn't care. This is from the same person who can't be talked to through the door while she poops. What a strange, wonderful character Elliot is.
  • Janitor threw out his raccoon blanket for Lady. How nice of him.

Gwin

About the ABC Player... it doesn't work so well on my Mac (kinda jumpy and the dialogue and picture don't always match up) and it annoys me that they only keep the last 3 episodes up for watching... I missed Episode 14 (the first half of the Bahamas two-parter) and since they have two versions of Episode 15 up on the Player, it's already been "pushed out."

I tried Hulu, but it just redirects you back to ABC. Is there somewhere else I should be checking?

April 28 2009 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordancda

I was always pissed at how they handled Kim's character...the reasons for her and J.D.'s breakup was totally artificial and made up. I think Bill Lawrence must regret ending that relationship because it was his best "out" of J.D. and Elliot ending up together. Seriously, Kim was great and she was the best relationship J.D. ever had on this show. Stupid. Oh well, it was good to have Elizabeth Banks back. Just too bad she hasn't been there all along.

April 23 2009 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NueveFiveOh

Good write-up Joel. It hasn't been mentioned that much on the show past season 6, but Elliot is still private practice. I don't know much about how it works in reality, but it seems to me that her job is more "portable" than it would be if she was still on the hospital's staff. Wouldn't she be able to move along with J.D.?

April 23 2009 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

I don't think Carla was the one who got Turk the job, it seemed more like a three front offensive.

Turk campaigned and got that parade of endorsements Cox sat through. Carla gave Cox a piece of her mind. And Bobbo passed on a bit of wisdom about not letting personal feelings get in the way, complete with an example that hit Cox right at home. By the time he saw the results of some of Turk's mentoring at the end with the intern getting the stitches right, his defenses were a complete shambles.

I'm a new Scrubs fan. Up to now, I had only seen one episode with Sam in it and I assumed he was Elliot's baby with another guy and had only seen the first episode where J.D. and Kim fall for each other. I can't wait to catch the episodes that lead up to her having Sam.

April 23 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lou.dalmaso

Grover,
My bad, you are correct.

April 23 2009 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lou.dalmaso's comment
Grover

not too big of a harm... not too big of a foul... i think he was less noticeable b/c he didn't complete a high five; janitor declined at coffee bucks

April 23 2009 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJ

I think you mean "Vajingo"

April 23 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DJ's comment
Joel Keller

No, it's "bajingo." Always has been.

April 23 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lou.dalmaso

some gripes..

What happened to Dr. Winn that they would need to replace him?

Didn't they already do an episode where it was revealed that in spite of his personality, The Todd was actually a better surgeon? So I guess Turk's just really been hitting the books?

Plenty of regulars (and semi's) missing this week , Jo, Jordan, The Todd, Ted...

Nice to see Kim back, tho

and 45 minutes is a bit much than you can expect an doctor (who is technically on call 24/7) to travel. especially in an emergency. I would have thought JD would have asked for custody.

April 23 2009 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to lou.dalmaso's comment
Grover

The Todd was there... he was the first 'character witness' for Turk.

April 23 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don-Don

I was thinking the same thing about The Todd too. I think that's why they used the words 'all-around best surgeon', because while The Todd may be a skillful surgeon, he's lacking in other supervisory and administrative, not to mention social, skills, assuming Chief of Surgery is akin to Chief of Medicine position.

April 24 2009 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

At the beginning of the episode, didn't J.D. say it was something like 37 minutes to Kim's place? That's not really much of a commute. What's the big deal about moving there? He could still work at Sacred Heart and see all of his friends whenever he wanted to. Doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice to me?

April 23 2009 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
cdawg

exactly what I was going to post

April 23 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply