October 31, 2014

Should ABC renew Better Off Ted? - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 23rd 2009 1:35PM
Better Off Ted

ABC's new comedy Better Off Ted - which aired last night - is one of the on the bubble shows. It certainly has its fan base, but it's also one of those quirky sitcoms that just "feels" like one you can imagine ABC canceling after one short season, and then it goes away forever. And then we grumble about it for months and hope for a DVD release. What do you think? Do you think the show deserves a second season or do you think it's ... better off dead (sorry)?

Tom Lamb

Quirky and hilarious. This show was a real highlight for the TV season. Great characters and very well written and performed. It should get a primo time-slot in the fall and it could be another "Scrubs." Sassy!

May 17 2009 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

Better off Ted is absolutely hilarious! Finally, we have a replacement for Arrested Development. I can only assume this will be cancelled before summer rolls around. I've already started a videotape containing the first couple of episodes.

May 02 2009 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renee

I really enjoy this show, every week it just keeps getting funnier!! Let's hope it makes the cut, I'd love to be able to tune in to a second season...

May 01 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RonH

I think this program is brilliant! (I hate the way that term has become so trendy, and so I mean brilliant in the "old" way.)

The comedy is smart, the satire sharp and funny! This week was a rerun having to do with institutional racism. On the surface, I know some found it insensitive, and I can appreciate that. But I found it right on target, demonstrating how a corporation can be so dense and insensitive as to commit the ultimate racist act (adding a separate water fountain "for blacks") and think nothing of it. And I was literally falling off my seat, with laughter. Few can make such a deep social comment with such hilarity.

I love this show, and hope against hope it gets renewed somehow!

April 30 2009 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Really enjoy this show! Keep it on!

April 30 2009 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andi

Better off Ted reminds me of why I watch television, along with Arrested Development and 30 Rock. These are shows designed with more than just ratings and a 30 minute time slot to fill. They are funny, extremely witty, and create a completely original idea. Better off Ted must be renewed. Its been ages since I laughed so hard I peed...but I've done it twice with Better off Ted.

April 30 2009 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s2buell

They better renew it! This is my favorite new sit-com, and one of the funniest shows ever.

April 29 2009 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WShawn

BOT is my favorite new show of this season and my favorite comedy, displacing "30 Rock" which I still love. BOT and Lost are neck and neck for my favorite current TV show.

The "Racial Sensitivity" episode should win an Emmy for comedy writing.

I really really hope ABC sticks with the show, but I'm not optimistic.

April 29 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordancda

I very much enjoy this show. The cast is solid and talented and I like the chemistry. I like that even though Veronica's supposed to be an ass, she's still likable. I like the guy who plays Lem a lot. And I don't even mind the romantic tension between Ted and what's-her-name.

I only use my junk for good.

April 28 2009 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matt

I know this show has really bad ratings, but it is a VERY VERY SMART show and it is VERY funny. I loved the episode where Linda was injected with the medicine and acted crazy all day. This is a VERY funny, smart and quirky comedy thats different and amazing. First ABC cancelled Pushing Daisies which was EXTREMELY smart and funny and quirky. If they cancel Better off Ted, then I will swear off tv forever. This show is Better Off RENEWED!!!!!!!

April 26 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply