November 24, 2014

South Park: The season so far

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 23rd 2009 1:38AM
South ParkTonight was the last episode of the latest set of seven from the South Park Studios. The new ones won't be shown until October.

It's been a pretty strong series so far. I didn't really like last week's with the alien gangster, but the season opener with the Jonas Brothers and "Mr. Mouse" was fantastic. This was followed by four additional strong episodes, including their superhero parody "The Coon," their take on the bailout with "Margaritaville," a gaseous battle of the sexes with "Eat, Pray, Queef," an appearance from army of robot Jews in "Fishsticks," and Cartman's piracy adventures in "Fatbeard."

I recall not being fond of Season 12 while initially watching it, although it grew on me as I watched it again on DVD. Season 13 has been much stronger. Having now watched all seven episodes, I think this season has so far been much better than last.

If you're reading this after watching "Fatbeard," what did you think? If you keep up with the series, what have you thought of the past seven episodes as a whole?

Rod

I definitely disagree with Brad's original comment that the space gangster episode wasn't very strong. Although I didn't like the alien himself, other parts of that episode were the funniest in any SP episode in the last 3 seasons. The part where Randy Marsh says "Someone who speaks Spanish yell at Mexico. They're going to ruin everything", I almost puked, I laughed so hard. And then when he says to his wife, "Sharon, h-hey Sharon, they found alien life in space because of our pinewood derby car, but it's just a piece of wood with wheels, right Sharon?". I needed an adult diaper, cuz I almost crapped my pants. And when they nuked Finland, holy shizz... This entire season so far has to be one of my favorite seasons in a long time. I've been watching since the very beginning and compared to the last few years, which has had a few good and a few mediocre episodes, this one is totally solid. That one dude who said this season sucked needs to have his head examined and go back and watch early seasons of SP to be reminded of why it is the best and smartest series on TV.

April 27 2009 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJL

Didn't laugh once.

April 23 2009 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rufus

Don't forget 'The Coon'... classic riff on TDK and Watchmen,

I loved that one. The fact that Cartman is so obsessed with being the No1 Hero, he becomes the No1 Villain - but doesn't realise it, or anyone in the episode.

April 23 2009 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryan

I also agree with you, this has been a really strong season compared with 12. Cartman casually bringing the boat back to the Somalian dock saying "now that's a pirate ship"... awesome!

Only two weak episodes this season thus far, queefs and last week's space cash. Even they were better than much of S12.

April 23 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Are you guys serious?
Margaritaville was one of the best EVER.

Maybe a lesser season overall, but that one episode raises it up a couple of notches.

April 23 2009 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

I didn't like the Queef episode all that much (got old fast) but for the most part it's been a good season. South Park tends to get better and better, on average, though obviously some episodes are worse than the one before it. I agree there has not been as much social commentary lately, but south park doesn't have to be about the #1 news story to be a good episode. Historically people rave about episodes that are incredibly timely (awesome! they must have written and animated that in the past 48 hours!), however when you look back the episodes are not necessarily as funny as they were when first watched... the hilarity is based a lot on relevancy. The "About Last Night..." episode right after the election (Obama won!) is a great example - everyone I know went nuts over how great it was, because it was 3-4 days after election night... greatest episode ever, I heard. But go back and watch it now. It's okay, but that's it.

I liked the notion that earth is a backwoods planet where the one intelligent lifeform is, objectively speaking, not very intelligent at all. Pretty good episode I thought. I also liked how it showed one lie can lead to others - just stop defending a lie. It's gotten to the point where, over the last 50 or so years, our political debate has gone from debating whether we should have the oil depletion allowance to whether or not we should be torturing people we don't like. All because certain people get committed to a position, can't say they were wrong, and keep on lying to justify their actions.

April 23 2009 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I also have to disagree that this season has been "strong". Other than "Mr. Mouse" and "Fishsticks", season 13 has had a habit of taking a single joke and painfully stretching it into a full episode. The writing just seems uninspired and bordering on lazy.

April 23 2009 at 7:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brian's comment
Dan

Wouldn't the Fishsticks episode be the definition of taking one joke and stretching it out for an entire episode?

How was last night's episode NOT funny? It was one of the funniest in a long time.

April 23 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

Yeah, I don't think it's been *that* strong so far. The jab at Disney was funny, and I'm all for humbling Kanye West, but what makes South Park funny to me is the sharp social commentary, and I don't feel like it's really been on point so far this season. The bail-out episode was good, but not great. If anything, I think last week's installment was the strongest. Dealing with the greed and anthro-centric of people today, I thought it was stronger than anything else so far. Could you imagine if we ever encountered intelligent life out there? They'd probably ask themselves "who are these retards?"

April 23 2009 at 7:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nacho

I completely disagree. I think this season has been absolutely horrible thus far. There's been nothing "fantastic" or "strong" about any of the episodes they've been unfunny, lame, and have used shock humor as a crutch instead of actually adding anything truly funny.

As someone who was a teenager when South Park started, I've watched every single episode, and I do feel some sort of obligation to my inner youth to continue watching it, but if the second half of this season turns out to be as crappy as the first half I'll stop punishing myself and finally stop watching.

April 23 2009 at 4:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nacho's comment
Dan

See, I felt that way with The Simpsons (which is why I stopped watching in season 11), and started to feel that way a little bit with South Park, but I actually loved this season. They went away from the "I learned something today" route and went back to the "Kids being kids in an adult world" route and it was awesome.

My buddy and I laughed a lot at last night's episode, we thought it was hilarious. I just can't believe the mini-season is already over.

April 23 2009 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply