October 22, 2014

The most surprising Doctor Who news I've heard (today)

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 23rd 2009 8:31PM
Doctor WhoBack in the good old days of Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor, one of the enemies of our intrepid hero came in the form of a Time Lady known as the Rani. Unlike the Doctor's other nemesis from his own race, the Master, the Rani didn't have a personal grudge against our hero and simply preferred to perform immoral experiments on those she deemed as lesser species in her quest for knowledge.

Who might be playing the Rani in the new series? That's after the jump.

Gillian Anderson has reportedly been in talks to play the evil Time Lady.

Of course, there is the issue of her not even having a British accent (I would hate to see her adopt a fake one for this). On the other hand, the Master has been played by Americans (in the 1996 Paul McGann movie, a fact that most fans want to forget). It would be easy to circumvent the whole "Last of the Time Lords" theory by having her occupy someone else's body.

With Steven Moffat at the helm and this new piece of potential news, my interest is certainly piqued.

[via ComicMix]

Jamesvs13

Time lords(and ladies) are not supposed to be able to pass beyond the current time of Gallifrey,so time lords of the past wouldn't (or rather shouldn't) be able to go into the future of Gallifrey,hence mot knowing their own futures.And not been done so overtly before?What do you call the 3 Doctors?Or the 5 Doctors?Or the 2 Doctors?You can't get more overt than the Doctor meeting himself and influencing what occurs in his own past and future at the same time.Just goes to show that all rules are made for breaking....

July 02 2009 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pete thomson

The very British Gillian Anderson will be an excellent addition to r Who. She was great in Bleak House and The House of Mirth and is currently in Chekov with Chris Eccelston at the Donmar Warehouse in London. Alex Kingston is due back to play the wife in the final eps of David Tennent's Dr.

April 26 2009 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moe

Gillian does indeed have a british accent. She lived in London from age 2-11. She "lost" her accent to stop the teasing, when she moved to America. Check out her british accent in Bleak House Last King of Scotland and Closure (Straightheads). Please check of Closure (Straightheads) great movie!

April 25 2009 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mvdelaney77

Except that he's not the last and never has been. The Master still exists and this character of the Meddling Monk apparently also still exists... So... ummmm... it doesn't mess with anything. Besides, just because the Doctor thinks he's the last doesn't make him the last.

And the reason there aren't other Time Lords out there is pretty confusing, but it has to do with the first law of time... namely that you cannot cross your own timestream.

Now, they pretty well threw that out the window with Alex Kingston's character if you ask me... though they've done it a few times before, but never so overtly.

April 25 2009 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mvdelaney77

I'm confused. She isn't a Time Lord, as your article points out. So, how would her existence be related in any way to The Doctor being the last of the Time Lords? I mean, just because the Sontarans exist, does that mean The Doctor isn't the last of the Time Lords? Your comment regarding that makes very little sense.

Furthermore, he Doctor and the Master already aren't the only Time Lords left. Aren't there already reports circulating that Patrick Stewart himself will be playing a Time Lord soon that hasn't been seen since PT's days in the late 60's?

April 24 2009 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mvdelaney77's comment
Chuck

The Rani is a Time Lord . . . or Time Lady, which is just a female Time Lord, still from Gallifrey, and therefore her existance would disprove him being the last of them.

What I want to know is why Time Lords from the past can't ever come this far into the future on the new show? They're time travelers, so why do we never see any of them? And how did they not know what was going to happen?

April 25 2009 at 1:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

This would be too perfect. I believe this WILL happen, because it would hold such major significance. There's a deeper connection between X-Files and all the Doctor Who incarnations than people realize. It's a case of art influencing art influencing art-a house of mirrors, in a way.

April 24 2009 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kirsten

I am curious as to how Alex Kingston could fit into this. She played an entirely different character at the end of the last series. I cannot remember the name of the character, but it was the whole, "I know you, but you don't know me because we haven't met yet." (to the Doctor)..that I really had a hard time wrapping my head around.
The same goes for Billie Piper. He already knows her as Rose. How would she be an entirely different character?
I love this show, but sometimes it confuses me..

April 24 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjh

Gillian Anderson has a native brittish accent.
You call yourself a journalist? Reporter? Whatever?
Seriously, do your research, you might look less ridiculous.

April 23 2009 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike McNamara

Other women who have been rumored to be the portraying the Rani according to published reports in British tabloids

1) the blonde woman from Footballer's Wives who went to jail and mano-a-mano with Joan Collins (who played the sister of Kate O'Mara -- the original Rani on Dynasty)
2) Alex Kingston
3) Billie Piper (on her return)
4) Catherine Tate (during her first full season, explaining why she heard the heart beat in her head)

Okay the last two were only on online Doctor Who forums, but you get my meaning. What I'm saying is that while I'll believe that Anderson could show up on the program (and would be thrilled to see it), I'll eat my left...whatever appendage you wish... if Steven Moffat brings back the Rani during his first season and will be floored if it happens at all.

Granted, one of the best things about Doctor Who is that all continuity can be overwritten with a creative enough writer, and though I think it's a stupid idea, I think Moffat could pull it off. However, tossing out the whole "last of the Time Lords" mythos that has been central to the series since its return makes sense when it comes to the Doctor's archnemesis, but to do so for a secondary renegade is silly, especially to someone like Moffat who has created some of the best one-off female characters for the new series (Madame de Pompadour, Sally Sparrow, River Song)

April 23 2009 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

So you think Gillian Anderson can't act? Hugh Laurie (House) & Anna Torv, John Noble (Fringe) are not from this country and they seem to sound like they were burn here.
Ms Anderson lived in England for few years I'm sure she could can do a convincing job playing Rani! Brad Trechak, you're a moron!!!!!!!!

April 23 2009 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply