September 20, 2014

Kings exiled to the summer

by Danny Gallagher, posted Apr 24th 2009 9:04AM
Ian McShane on Kings

Were you hoping to find out if David was able to reconnect with his family or why William Cross' son had a high heeled shoe in his room? Tune in two months from now to find out.

NBC's Kings has been moved to the middle of June after just four episodes, the last of which was moved from Sunday to Saturday just as Macaulay Culkin made an intriguing special appearance.

This just spells even more gloom and doom for the show that has suffered from low ratings and a juggled time slot since it hit the air. A two-month hiatus is the television equivalent of the "I just want to be friends" dump.

The network hasn't the given the show much to work with in terms of a chance for ratings. They switched its air date three times from Thursday to Sunday and finally to Saturday. The only people watching TV on a Saturday night are stoners, so if Kings tried to write a giant chicken that farts jellybeans into the script, it might have had a chance.

A two-month hiatus can't do much good at this point in the series. The fourth episode left a few unresolved issues in the plot, and picking up the series so far away just serves to confuse and bewilder the people who haven't been watching it from the beginning. It's like walking in on a movie that started two months ago.

The show has been fun to watch, but it still feels fairly unremarkable and restrained. It's definitely one of the smarter or emotionally deeper shows on network television, but it never really let loose with anything spectacular or nail-biting. That doesn't make it a bad show, but nothing that would really attract a huge widespread audience of rabid fans willing to lay down their lives for an additional season.

The network has said they are willing to give the show a full season, but it seems improbable they are willing to even let it go beyond that. So fans, live it up while you can. Not even God can save this king.

Craig

It sucks this will be it. But people need to quit blaming the day or time slot for a show's death. Everyone I know who watches more than a few hours of tv a week has a DVR.

Also he stole his aunt's shoe. Don't you remember that she said she's always losing something, this time its a show. Granted I have no idea why he stole his aunt's shoe, other than to mess with her, but thats where it came from.

April 27 2009 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

I think it's a great show and is something thats different for a series. I would like to see more of the show, i'm sure the writers can write some twists to the futurs shows to interest more viewers. The time slot issue is a bummer. I want to follow the show but would like a solid time.

April 26 2009 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

I wonder if you saw any of those episodes. Doesn't look like that. NBC's own site lists SIX episodes:

1.01+1.02: http://www.nbc.com/Kings/recaps/index.shtml#cat=1&mea=101&ima=61568

...

1.05 http://www.nbc.com/Kings/recaps/#cat=1&mea=105

1.06 http://www.nbc.com/Kings/recaps/#cat=1&mea=106

So even if you count pilot as ONE ep (NBC sure does count it as TWO) it's still FIVE episodes, not FOUR. This kind of sloppy reporting sucks.

April 26 2009 at 2:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

After watching the first episode(s) I figured this show would get canceled. It's too smart, sophisticated and doesn't have idiots singing or Z-List Celebs dancing.

It's a shame, this is a good show, the writing is amazing, Ian McShane is amazing. I'm not saying this a Dead Wood fan, I never got to see that show, I just think the way he delivers his lines and the way he emotes on the screen, his body language makes the role of Silas interesting.

If there is one weak point it's David, I hate to bash actors but he just has the same expression of a lost child all the time.

April 25 2009 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rufus

HBO, Showtime... someone save this show!

April 24 2009 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CParis

They would have done better to launch this as a limited-run summer program.

April 24 2009 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I take exception to you characterizing the show as unremarkable. Are you actually listening to the dialogue? The scriptwriting ... the language ... is amazing. It's unlike anything on TV since David Milch's, "Deadwood".

But as jffm comments above, I think we fans have come to terms with this show's eventual fate.

April 24 2009 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

I think that if they had made it to where the law was the same as the Levitical law it could have been very interesting.

April 24 2009 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

I think most fans of the show have long since come to terms with what is most likely its eventual fate. And when the last schedule change was announced, my only thought was that I'm grateful we'll at least get to see the rest of the season.

April 24 2009 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply