October 31, 2014

Why the frak was Salma Hayek wearing a Battlestar Galactica T-shirt on 30 Rock?

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 24th 2009 11:04AM
30 Rock: What the frak t-shirt

I want answers, people.

Last night we found out that Elisa, Salma Hayek's character on 30 Rock, was hiding a dark secret.

That secret (which I won't reveal) was weird and unexpected. But seeing Salma wearing a "What the Frak?!" T-shirt – complete with the Battlestar Galactica logo on the back, I might add – on the show was even weirder and more unexpected.

It was also way cool, and probably the most random moment in an episode full of random moments (like that Brian Williams cameo). I loved it. It made me kooko for Choco Puffs. But can someone explain it to me?

Is Salma Hayek a big Battlestar nerd? Was she giving a shout-out to her In the Time of the Butterflies co-star Edward James Olmos? Was this some sort of NBC/Universal marketing ploy to sell more BSG and Caprica DVDs? Or did Tina Fey just think it would be funny to stick Salma in a "silly" tight, nerd-friendly T?

Whatever the reason (and I must know the reason), I hope it happens again. I haven't seen or heard the work "Frak" on TV, outside of BSG, since season three of Veronica Mars. I'm sure it's been uttered on other shows before, but I don't think the word has popped up on a show as popular as 30 Rock until now. I wonder if they'll make it a running gag on the show.

Jeff

This shirt looks like the real deal or a close facsimile... http://www.cafepress.com/WTFSalma.387303627

May 19 2009 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emme

Looks like someone found the real answer to why she was wearing the shirt!

May 14 2009 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ratta

I assume most watchers won't know the BSG reference - I just took it as a devoted comment ment for BSG's writers and fan-base (therefore also the elaborate explanation from the character).

And the message I received? A critique (cf "what the frak?!"), for what some of the fan-base see as an obscure "intelligent design"-like ending of BSG.

April 29 2009 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mel zonil

Frank said what the frak in the milf island episode

April 25 2009 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teenormous T-shirts

We've actually seen a HUGE increase in frak T-shirt searches at Teenormous:

Thanks for clearing it up for us!

April 25 2009 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

There was writing on that T-shirt?
... va-va-voom !!

April 24 2009 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jusitn

The real question is where can you buy the shirt? The only What the Frak shirt on the NBC store is a lame WTF moniker.

April 24 2009 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jusitn's comment
McD

Try www.thinkgeek.com... I know they had a few BSG shirts over there...

April 30 2009 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Astin

Corporate synergy, geeky writers, and Caprica coming out on DVD this week.

April 24 2009 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shark

If you watch the episode again, you will notice they are making fun of product placement throughout the episode, like with the slanket. Liz yells out "It's not an endorsement, I just like it." Not too long ago, the blogosphere accused 30 Rock of product placement with the McFlurry. So, I think this was a jab back from the writers.

April 24 2009 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RI_red

Considering the "slanket" had appeared in previous episodes, I assumed this episode was aired out of order and was originally intended to air the week of the BSG finale.

April 24 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply