April 23, 2014

Bea Arthur dead at 86

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 25th 2009 4:30PM
Bea ArthurAnd then there were two.

Golden Girls star Bea Arthur died this morning in Los Angeles. She was 86. This is actually a bit of a shock. Not that 86 is young, but she always seemed healthy and spry, even in the last few years, doing her stage show and guest starring on various TV shows and endless specials.

The other day I listed my favorite TV shows of all-time, and I really should have included The Golden Girls on that list. This was a consistently funny, clever, entertaining sitcom. A classic, really, spawning a lot of great one-liners and situations. It was also a breeding ground for some writers and producers who would become famous for other projects later, including Marc Cherry and Mitchell Hurwitz (as well as many veteran writers and directors). It's still a very special show to me. I used to find myself up at 1AM watching several episodes on Lifetime.

Besides The Golden Girls, Arthur starred in Maude (a spinoff after appearing as the character on All in the Family), Dave's World, Studio One, Kraft Television Theatre, Caeser's Hour, and Great Performances. She also had a memorable guest role on Malcolm in the Middle as Dewey's babysitter.

Will

Good night, Bea. Thanks for the laughs.

April 28 2009 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Will's comment
Ted Nahow

Years ago, I had just retired from the Marine Corps. Bea was visiting a friend on Cape Cod. He owned one of the better known restaurants and had to work on Saturday night. He Asked me to escort this famous actress for the entire evening until he finished work. I had never "dated" famous actresses but reluctantly agreed. What an evening..! She was so very gracious. It was a night to remember. Colonel, USMC RET).

April 28 2009 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AK

Check out this Golden Girls shirt!

April 27 2009 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sapphire

When I came across this my heart sunk. I looove the Golden Girls and Bea's character, Dorothy, was my favorite. I always thought she was a part of me (I am just as sarcastic as I want to be). I will miss knowing she's no longer here on Earth with us, but at least I can still see her time and time again on television. Rest In Peace!

April 27 2009 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jocelyn

I was a child when the Golden Girls was on television but it was the show that my grandmother and I would always watch together. We would decide which one of the girls we and her friends were. It was my favorite half hour of television because it meant laughing with my grandmother who also died from cancer even in her last days we watched that show together. I am so grateful for all the laughs we shared even when she was so sick. My grandmother always related to Dorothy. My heart goes out to her family who are all in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you so much Ms. Arthur for bringing laughter to my home and fond memories so many years later.

April 27 2009 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billie Courtright

I was a piano bar entertainer in Laguna Beach, CA. Bea used to come in and down a few dozen drinks. She was always very kind and sweet. She was a great audience, and I loved talking to her. I can't repeat her comments about Zero Mostel here, but I'll never forget them! Rest in peace, old gal. You will be missed.

April 26 2009 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I've seen every episode of Golden Girls at least one hundred times, thanks to Lifetime Television. One of the smartest, wittiest, funniest show on television, and Bea Arthur was always right-on, in every scene. Her timing, her delivery, and her physical sense of comedy were unparalleled. God, this is so sad that she's gone. The world has lost a great, great comedienne. We miss you already, Bea!!!!

April 26 2009 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

Bea Arthur as Maude
my favourite Maude episode The Case Of The Broken Punch Bowl season 4 episode 15 from 1976

wait until you find out who really broke it and how LMAO still

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

April 26 2009 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

No one could deliver a line better.

April 26 2009 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

Rest in Heavenly Peace Bea - loved her as Dorothy on the Golden Girls but loved her even more as Maude on Maude. Thank god for re-runs and DVD's

April 26 2009 at 2:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred L

ou will dearly be missed I want the Golden girls every night.
Rest in Peace