August 28, 2014

Heroes: An Invisible Thread (season finale) -- An early look

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 25th 2009 6:30PM
Heroes - An Invisible ThreadAfter watching the penultimate episode of "Volume Four: Fugitives" on NBC's Heroes last week, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when a dashing young man in a FedEx uniform delivered a surprise package to my doorstep later in the week. Inside was a rough cut of "An Invisible Thread," the season finale of Heroes. Now this wasn't nearly as rough as the X-Men Origins: Wolverine debacle floating around the interwebs, but neither was it the completely polished version we'll see this upcoming Monday at 9:00 PM ET.

Overall, I found myself a little disappointed as I've been with every volume finale we've had since the very beginning. And admittedly, I might just be wanting something a little bit more than what we're able to get here. As for deaths and new beginnings, those we do get. I'll tell you this: one person who I felt certain was going to die didn't. One person who I thought as a possibility to die did ... but sort of didn't. But really did. The only hint I'll give you is Marvel's first Exiles series.

There were some good action sequences in this episode. As expected, the gang was going to get to Washington to deal with Sylar impersonating Nathan, and deal with that they did (though more behind closed doors than I would have liked). Danko too was dealt with, as he had to be. After all, he embodied the whole core of the volume, and you can't move on without addressing the symbol of this phase in your development.

Two things stood out to me while watching the episode. There was one very conspicuous absence in the episode, and I'm not sure what that means. Hopefully, it just means we'll get more later. The other thing that stood out is that Hiro and Ando always seem to stick out like sore thumbs when the gang gets together. They really don't hang out with the others that much, and don't have any of those relationship connections. It's odd, and I'm not sure why they haven't been more integrated.

We did get a tease of "Volume Five," which has a very good subtitle. Of course, "Fugitives" was a very good subtitle and they didn't really give us enough of that. After that plane crash, they were on the run for maybe an episode. When I think of fugitives, I'm thinking more the second season of Prison Break. This was just a lot of talking and whining, which seems to be the rut Heroes falls into.

I can tell you that there are two important moments in the teaser. There is an important return, which most people are expecting, setting up something that could work out very well for the series. The other key moment was really more inevitable, considering how "Volume Four" ended. Of course it's going to happen, it's like a ticking time bomb at this point. It's a matter of when, not if. Hopefully, though, not too soon. A slow burn will be a lot better on this one.

The teaser was also a lot more vague than in volumes past. Even the title is open to vast interpretation. I wonder if this was intentional to allow them the hiatus to really focus on putting this show back on track and making sure that season four redeems the show, improving on seasons two and three tremendously. Ultimately, I remain optimistic about the future. I do wish they'd be a little more bloodthirsty on the show as originally planned. Some more key deaths in this core group of characters wouldn't hurt anything. I can name some names!

loosifa

The guy gave the final away when he said EXILES, the first thing that popped up in my head was Morph and Proteus meaning that unfortunately its Peter whose biting the dust. The way I see it is there was such a mixed response about Peter losing his powers the only way for him to truly gain them back is for his death and for Sylar to believe he's pete so Pete can use Sylars Empathy... naturally and you know what..if thats the case then that blows and I'm so done with this show.

April 27 2009 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to loosifa's comment
Shady Turtle

I have to say I think your right there, bout the Morph Proteus thing, but ti think its going to be nathan rather than peter, i saw a clip where angela is asking for matts help to have nathans Life, and also i heard about the Line that Noah says to Matt: "If you don't do this, Nathan will be gone forever." so i think matt puts nathans mind into Sylar.

April 27 2009 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

This has nothing to do with Heroes, but at the mention of the rough cut of X Men, I had to comment. I saw it, and it was a hoot. I loved the rough cut!! Seeing the CGI stuff, wires, etc, made the movie actually enjoyable, since the plot was kind of boring. More Gambit, please. Plus, when they were discussing the 'death' of someone, they mentioned a drug. Only this drug is a diuretic, not what they said. I know because I take it. Just release rough cuts!

April 27 2009 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

all i wanna know is does peter get back his original abilities? if he still doesnt then = wack

April 26 2009 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I'd be surprised if it's NOT Nathan who dies. Everybody has been guessing this will be the outcome tomorrow night.

But it would be surprising/a twist if it's not Sylar who does the deed.

Anyway, this guarantees that Adrian Pasdar still gets to work on the show next season.

April 26 2009 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrea

Wow. Could you be anymore vague?

April 26 2009 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamored8907

Well I am guessing you thought Mohinder was the one who was going to finally leave the show, but actually Syler ends up killing Nathan. And since Syler can transform into another person Nathan isnt actually leaving. I am basing this on the fact you only tagged these actors in this article. And since everyone thinks Mohinder is dead weight on this show, and Syler and Nathan fight in the episode (according to the synopsis)

April 26 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony21

n please don't let it be peter

April 26 2009 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

wa, wa ,wa, wa??????????

April 26 2009 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hrgfan

What I don't understand is, how do people just focus on the flaws and mistakes when not really enjoying the episode. I'm one who doesn't give a hoot about any mistakes I just sit back and enjoy the action. I'm really looking forward to this episode regardless about what any reviewer might say(I'm looking at you reviewer:/ ) I'm sure it's going to be fun. It's been a very enjoyable volume ya'll hope to see you next season.

April 26 2009 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hrgfan's comment
catandmoose

I agree I never understood how all these people find flaws in the show. Every episode is amazing. Why can't people just enjoy the show instead of over analyzing it and ruining the fun?

April 26 2009 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DaveTehWave

wow - you got to see it before us unwashed masses. Big Whoop. This 'early look/review' is BS... and you used the word 'penultimate' - congrats!

April 26 2009 at 5:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply