July 23, 2014

PBS learns about the Internet

by Annie Wu, posted Apr 25th 2009 1:01PM
PBSPBS! Internet! Things! High-five, nerds.

PBS's content is finally online, just barely pulling them a little closer to catching up with everyone else. Their portal seems pretty straight-forward and there is a clear effort for organization, but the amount of content is super-limited. If you're looking for a bit of Time Team America, there's only one full episode online, but if Antiques Roadshow is more your thing, the site is definitely worth checking out.

I'm most excited about having NOVA on-hand, mainly because of the amount of non-video content that is directly accessible through each episode. Like, check out this installment about fractals and then poke around all the links immediately beneath the player. It'll make your brain tingle.

Edit: Obviously, this isn't the first time PBS has had content online, but it's still nice to finally have a place to house it all, yes?

According to this article, PBS is also planning on doing some original content for their home on the Interwebs, which sounds like a pretty good idea. PBS has loyal viewers (like you) and it's really about time that they had a spot online for that audience.

The quality of this video is certainly a far cry from the PBS I used to watch as a kid, which always had a ghost of NBC running in the background. No more floating Brian Williams!

Andrew

also wanted to add that we also discovered Facebook (Thirteen WNET) over a year and a half ago and currently Twitter (ThirteenNY) and post some of our material on a You Tube (Thirteen WNET) account. :) Join us! :)

April 27 2009 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I work for New York's PBS station, Thirteen WNET, and we already have original programming online - The City Concealed http://www.thirteen.org/thecityconcealed .. and yes we have had our programming online for at least as long as I've worked here (over two years). Moyers also has transcripts, podcasts and episodes up on the site we have for him and Worldfocus also offers episodes and an option to post your own video reports (similar to CNN's iReports)

April 27 2009 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Media Glutton

The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer has been online for years with full video and transcripts at newshour.pbs.org (roughly an hour or two after the East Coast broadcast). Some of the best long-form interviews and international reports in all of American news programs.

April 25 2009 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robox

PBS has had video online for *years*. I remember watching FRONTLINE about five years ago! This new site is just a cool new way of organizing PBS stuff.

April 25 2009 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to robox's comment
jffm

Same here. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone when I read the headline. As far as I know, this is a portal that might make things easier, but I've been going to the page for a given show and watching complete episodes for quite awhile. I don't know how many of their shows were like that, so maybe this is also an expansion of what was available already.

April 25 2009 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sagisarius

Yeah, Joe is right, I think PBS was actually the first one to have their shows online... by several years.

April 25 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply