April 23, 2014

The Amazing Race: Having a Baby's Gotta Be Easier Than This

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Apr 27th 2009 1:05AM
Jen has a fear of swimming on The Amazing Race

(S14E10) Oh, boo-hoo. I don't understand why anyone with such a fear of water would even consider going on a show like The Amazing Race. Almost every season there's some sort of swimming which has to be done. Perhaps I'm biased because I learned to swim at a young age. My own personal theory of dealing with life is that everyone should learn how to swim, drive a stick shift, and change a flat tire. Hey ... those talents could win the race!

The ongoing Margie/Luke vs. Jen/Kisha saga

Okay, I'm officially tired of this. Luke seems to be be inspired to win even more than before, yet Margie still nitpicks over Jen and Kisha's treatment of her beloved son. On the Jen and Kisha side, they're still muttering about it, too. Both sides are saying they're going to forget about the other team and forge ahead for the win. So, why don't they just do that and shut up about each other?

Time for me to nitpick!
I know I said how great the whole cast was this season. For the longest time, I couldn't find much fault with any of the teams. That's far behind me as we land in with the final four.

• Margie and Luke: He's very immature and whiny, although the team generally does well in the end. Margie enables his lack of independence. I admire all that she has done in the actual tasks, though.
  • Tammy and Victor: While I don't blame them for capitalizing on the fact that they speak the native language in China, I find it very sneaky for them to tell others to give the other teams wrong directions and such. I find it surprising that they're probably the team I like best right now for the win. Oh ... and Victor's voice tends to drive me up the wall. He has some sort of overly-enunciated thing going on along with a singsong pitch. Eek.
  • Jen and Kisha: I don't blame them for the Luke/Margie brouhaha -- both teams acted like asses about things. But Jen has a deadly fear of water and went on the show, then fussed that she wanted to quit. And tonight there was a huge "oh no, she didn't moment. Which one of them said all of the Chinese people looked alike? They were the Ugly Americans tonight calling the Chinese folks dumb and zombies because they didn't speak English.
  • Jaime and Cara: They've been playing the Ugly American role all along. They also tend to be followers, ride coattails, then wonder why they never get first place. Well, tonight didn't bring about that big finish either. Heh.

I don't want a foot massage and I can't swim like Phelps
The foot massage in the roadblock looked brutal tonight. Kudos to the editing which kept showing evil masseuse grins accompanied by dramatic music. Was that a huge blister on Luke's heel? I thought it a bit telling when Jen asked, "What's manipulation?" I see the contestants don't always know English, do they?

When it came to the detour, I think Cara and Jaime could have made easier time in the "diving" than the swimming part. Since the teams didn't really have to dive and those two are similar in weight, all they would have to do is jump off the boards at the same time. The drama with Jen was a bit too much for me. I was waiting for Kisha to take control and throw her in the water or something. At least Tammy learned to swim prior to the show. Can she drive a stick and change a flat?

To be continued ...
Yep, it's that time. Although Jaime and Cara hit the pit stop first, it's not really the pit stop. The leg isn't over, the drama continues.

Am I being too hard on Jen?
Yes, she has a fear of water126 (25.6%)
No, she knew she was scared of water when she went on the show324 (65.9%)
I don't know. What's manipulation?42 (8.5%)

Ðan

BOO jaime and cara came in 1st I don't want these two winning any prizes or trips and when Phil said "you are team number 1, however" I was like YES they did something wrong along the way and are getting a penalty but he whips out there next clue and they are back to racing Ha-Ha no official first finish or prizes for you two yet and hopefully they come in first at the real pitstop next Sunday.

April 28 2009 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Anyone notice how most of the recent legs have been occurring overnight? Last week's episode actually suddenly went into the next day. Did everyone ride in the car overnight?

April 27 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I have always wanted to do the Amazing Race but I have a really bad fear of heights. I could possibly jump out of a plane piggybacked with someone but I could never ever bungee jump. I can't swim but am not afraid of water when wearing a life preserver.

April 27 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I was not a fan of Tammy and Victor but I want anyone but Margie and Luke to win. You had an argument with one team and not that is all we hear from them. Get over it. I was surprised to hear Tammy say she was scared of Jaime and Cara.

April 27 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

After all the crying and moaning and you go out and swim and if you had just done it in the beginning you probably would have finished first. Also if Victor and Tammy didn't keep trying to jump off the board they too could have done a lot better. Even if you can't swim, all you have to do is hold on to those rope dividers and pull yourself along. Margie and Luke were far enough behind that most teams could have finished faster.

April 27 2009 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

There are five things to take of before going on the race:

1) learn to drive a stick

2) learn to fix a flat

3) learn to swim

4) conquer your fear of heights (hypno-therapy work for me temporarily)

5) dont tell the producers you did any of the above.

April 27 2009 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David D

Funny, when Boston Rob told that bus driver not to open the back door for the other teams, the prevailing opinion was that he was being "devilishly clever." Victor tries something similar -- but not nearly as devious -- and he's "cheating."

April 27 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I truly don't know who to cheer for and never thought I'd say this but it might be Tammy and Victor. Right now it is a matter of least onerous. I still like Margie - she was probably the best swimmer - but she is not doing Luke a favor by babying him. I did feel for Jen, she was in a full on panic attack. And, I honestly don't recall much swimming in past races so I can see how she'd be unprepared for it. I just sort of don't care anymore. It went south after Mel and Mike left.

April 27 2009 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I'm annoyed by all the teams for various reasons. I'm not cheering for any of the teams. I'm just watching the show to the end.

I don't think I have ever seen so many poor adult swimmers. Nor do I get the whole plugging your nose when diving or jumping into water. Who doesn't learn to swim or know how to swim? Maybe it is where I grew up (MN), myself, my brother and sisters, friends, etc. we all took swimming lessons every summer for 7 years or more - at least in my family that is what we did. Why not put your kids into lessons, even for a few years. It could save their life for one and two, it could help you win the Amazing Race.

I can drive a stick shift and change tire too.

April 27 2009 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jessica's comment
nisesmith

Well pin a rose on your nose.

May 04 2009 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
julie

I think one reason I like Tammy and Victor (all teams use the same tactics to try to delay people at the travel counters - it's nothing new and was at an equalizer) is that Tammy took the initiative to take swim lessons before the race! She came prepared. I think they also understood that, despite their language abilities in China, they were always at the mercy of the taxis, traffic, etc. And, except for seating 2 teams at the back of the plane, their abillity to communicate in Chinese actually HELPED all the other teams. Just recall the Pied Piper effect last week at the park in Guilin....

April 27 2009 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply