August 1, 2014

24: 3:00AM - 4:00AM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 28th 2009 8:03AM

Jon Voight as Jonas Hodges on '24.'
(S07E20) "Another attack today is all we need to push this thing right over the edge." - Tony

Only four hours left. All the pieces are in motion and sides have been chosen. Following Tony's betrayal last week, things have progressed quickly - his cohorts aren't exactly the waiting type. As tense as the plot has become, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. Essentially, the plan is exactly the same and Hodges has just been replaced with the dozen or so people in that bad guy summit ... not sure what else to call it.

Who exactly are they? We've only met Alan and Cara (a.k.a. The Intermediary) and common sense would suggest that they're the same as Hodges, right down to the resumé - government and defense contractor types. They share the same mentality too: the US government is unfit to deal with crisis and a major terrorist attack is what's necessary to prove that to the American people. If anything positive can be gleaned from that, at least it appears Tony is actually doing something he believes is for the good of the country.

The one thing I don't get? Yeah, Hodges went to the extreme, but why didn't the bad guy consortium just let him finish the job? Had Tony held back and "blundered" his moves for the FBI, Hodges' plan would have worked and the corporations behind the bad guy consortium (there has to be a better word for them...) would have presumably been required anyway. This is what I meant - same plot with different people behind it.

Maybe there's still a twist coming? I'm guessing Tony and Cara's plan to frame Jibraan Al-Zarian isn't going to go exactly as planned. Maybe Tony will actually be the one to pull off the attack? Either way, and I've said this before, but it still feels like season three and Jack will eventually just race against time to get Tony and the last canister.

A few more thoughts on hour 20 --

• It was a little jarring to see how much of a wuss Jonas turned into. He was so powerful but he caved so easily when Jack threatened him.
  • I loved that after Tony killed Galvez with the shower curtain, he hung it back up and took a shower with Galvez's body on the bathroom floor. Hilarious.
  • Other than a "Floridian gubernatorial adviser who got booted from the campaign because of his homosexuality," who the hell is Martin? And how is he going to help Olivia "take care" of Jonas? Olivia's transformation in Sherry Palmer Jr. is nearing completion. I still hope Aaron is the one to stop her.
  • I'd like to know how Tony and Cara met. Not exactly the type of relationship you picture coming out of a chance encounter in the cereal aisle.
  • Jack putting Janis in her place was priceless. I've been waiting all season for that, even if he did confuse Palmer for Taylor. What's next for Jack's CJD-riddled brain?

The highlight of the hour? The return of CTU! With Chloe back in the mix, along with all her old CTU servers, I expect the phrase "I need a secure socket" to be used approximately 87 times in the final hours of day seven.

Mimi

I agree

May 02 2009 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sailee316

I think Tony will be in season 8 as I doubt they would just bring back such a big character for just one season.

In a previous episode it was mentioned that there would be little risk to Kim if she was to give stem cells to Jack.

Maybe she does go through with the surgery so Jack can stop the evil powers that remain and it will succeed of course so he can be in season 8 (hopefully). What if at the end of this season Jack lives but when he awakes he finds out Kim did not make it through surgery and dies which would be a classic 24 ending.

The only way I can see Jack changing his mind over going through surgery is if the president orders him to as he is the ONLY one who can stop these bad guys.

Let me know what you think

April 29 2009 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sailee316's comment
George

Well, stem cell surgery is pretty risky; removing the stem cell requires the best doctors available - and, you only have a few of them (stem cells, that is). I think the survival rate is only..like 10 percent. so it is quite possible that Kim would not survive stem cell surgery. What an unbelievable ending that would be!

April 29 2009 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

It seems that for several seasons now, the bad guy(s) have to be middle aged white misguided male "patriots." I guess that's the only group we can make 'evil' without hurting their feelings. We can't depict Mexican drug runners, Muslim terrorists as bad guys because their feelings will be hurt.

Why not have, as bad guys, a bunch of Bolshevik revolutionary's wanting to take over our government? A coup d'état of sorts; kind of like they do in those countries we cannot depict as "evil."
But, we can stigmatize the meaning of "patriot." There is a method to the writers madness!

April 28 2009 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to George's comment
dreamer

I don't think it's about hurting anyone's feelings. It's just that having Islamic terrorists or Mexican drug runners as the ultimate bad guys in a season of 24 would feel like a bit of a letdown. Where's the eminence grise in that? Where's the potential for twists and reversals that you get when you have twelve sinister bastards in a numinous chatroom?

April 29 2009 at 7:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
al

I have enjoyed 24 for several years. It was a an outstanding series until Garofalo appeared. I sadly have discontinued watching until the next season. I hope at that time she will no longer appear on 24. This is a personal thing. I have NO respect for that thing.

April 28 2009 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
antonio69

Greetings from Barcelona (Spain).-

I still have a little hope that Tony is continuing Bill's orders: to chase the conspiracy to any price. I think that he is in a suicidal mission. Tony sacrifices his life, his honor and his redemption. But I can be wrong.-

Of a thing I´m sure: I am disagreement with this review. (critique):
The series come to his logical conclusion, in a sensible and simple way. For that there was going to be now a great surprise or change of argument? Of being like that also it had been criticized. It is a dishonest conduct. The season 7 is magnificent, full of spectacular moments of action and emotion. I do not understand this interest to despise "24 hours"

April 28 2009 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RT

Ever get the impression that Janeane Garofolo is playing herself? I'll bet they don't even write lines for her, they just let her do her liberal rant.

April 28 2009 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RT's comment
Michael

SCHWEET... I thought the exact same thing. I wondered if that was just FOX letting her have some free political commentary as part of the deal for her getting the part. Spot on comment RT.

April 29 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LoganT

What's interesting is that Amazon has Dennis Haysbert listed as a character on the Season 7 DVD. I wonder if movielady is on to something.

April 28 2009 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to LoganT's comment
Ðan

maybe JACK will have some hallucinations of David Palmer and we will see him in some new scenes

April 28 2009 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
movielady

Maybe, just maybe, Jack didn't make a mistake and President Palmer will be making a surprise appearance. I'd believe ANYTHING at this point.

April 28 2009 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
movielady

April 28 2009 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuck

i'm still convinced that Tony is running a long con to find the 12 people behind this.

April 28 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply