October 22, 2014

Memo from a Scrubs fan: please let the show die

by Joel Keller, posted Apr 28th 2009 1:02PM
JD and Turk(Update: Bill Lawrence himself responds to my plea in the comments.)

Oy, not again.

First we heard, straight from Bill Lawrence's mouth, that Scrubs could get a ninth season. Then we heard it was definitely done at the end of this current eighth season. Now, The Hollywood Reporter is hearing that talks to renew the show are back on, with Lawrence and company trying to figure out how to bring back most of the cast, at least in a recurring fashion.

They have to be recurring, since Zach Braff has vowed that he's done with the show, and Neil Flynn, John C. McGinley, and Donald Faison are all attached to new pilots, with Scrubs being a second option in case they're not picked up. Heck, even Lawrence is busy on the new Courteney Cox show Cougar Town.

I'm here, as one of the show's biggest fans, to beg ABC and Lawrence to let the show die. Please. It's the best thing they can do for it.

This season has been a pretty good one, mainly because Lawrence and company have stripped down and gotten back to the hospital-related stories that made the show so good in the first place. When they go on flights of fancy, they don't spin out that far. Even a tricky episode like the cast's trip to the Bahamas turned out to be one of the funnier episodes they've done in many years.

But there's a reason why this season has been so good; Lawrence was leaving, Braff was leaving, and everyone was resigned to move on, even if the show came back in an intern-centric "next generation" form. So, everyone went for broke. Alan Sepinwall figures that a ninth season won't have the same kind of energy, a notion that I agree with.

I mean, to bring back another old TV reference (see my HIMYM review for the first one), when Magnum was unexpectedly brought back for one more season after everyone -- including the producers and writers -- thought the show was cancelled, the resulting final season did not have the energy and build that the previous season did. Something about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel makes people bear down and perform.

But, more than anything else, an intern-centric season with some recurring original characters just isn't going to cut it for me. The only intern introduced this season that I've enjoyed watching is Denise, played by Eliza Coupe. Problem is, Coupe is also attached to a pilot, so she may not return. The rest of the interns, at least from what I've seen of them so far, are not compelling-enough characters to get me to watch a re-formed Scrubs on a weekly basis.

What do you folks think? Is it about time for the show to go on its merry way or will you keep watching?

J.C.

Here's my two cents: According to Bill Lawrence himself, he always envisioned this show to be a funnier version of ER, complete with rotating casts. Since, as we saw in the finale, that day was "just a day" Scrubs can continue. The show has a seasoned group of producers and writers that understand the tone needed to possibly continue. Here's what I think: Bring back Keith Dudemeister. He has the perfect combination of goofy and emotion. He's a been there at Sacred Heart long enough to "oversee" a new group of interns. He lost out on the "Dr. Reid-a-thon", so it's karmically proper. And I miss the big lug. I say give him a chance to properly shine.

May 13 2009 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Russ

The season (SERIES) finale was perfect. A great way for the show (not the series regulars) go out. I loved it and I got that awesome nostaglic feeling when you watch a finale knowing that its all over and how much I enjoyed the ride.

What I'd rather see them do if they want to do something with the interns is make a spinoff (I'd give it a shot but my favorite intern is now on Parks and Recreation) with the recurring characters making guest appearances once in a while. Scrubs isn't Scrubs without J.D. and everyone else!

May 11 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alex

This final season was how it was MEANT to go.

Compared to this ending, there's no other way it could be surpassed in a later season... just let it fade with it's good name and charm as one of the best comedies that sturck modern television...

May 10 2009 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mattpop1

Let it die!
No Season 9!

the series ended so perfectly tonight. i can't imagine a better finale to this decade's greatest tv show.

bill lawrence, cast, & crew....thank you.

May 07 2009 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordancda

@BillLawrence

I have faith in you. I'll watch whatever you do next. But seriously...if it uses an intern, please bring back Eliza Coupe. Also, if its a Frasier-like spin-off...you should totally do it in Seattle.

April 28 2009 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

If only...

This gives me "Friends" Season 10 flashbacks... brrrrr

April 28 2009 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

To make a reference to a line from Scrubs, "It's time to make it as comfortable as possible."

April 28 2009 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

i love scrubs immensly but this is how it should, it was only supposed to be one season abc and that's it. this the final season

April 28 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

I'd watch it, but only with Denise, who seems to be gone.

This probably won't happen, but if it does, cool.

April 28 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pierre-Luc Allie

Let a season pass, and launch a spin-off after.

The show will be funnier with brand new character. The bromance stuff are really getting old. The JD-Cox, JD-Janitor all sounds fake.

Scrubs could have been the ER of Comedy if they would have changed some character 4-5 years ago. Now it's too late.

April 28 2009 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply