July 22, 2014

TV Squad Poll: Which TV news do you watch?

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 28th 2009 5:08PM
FOX NewsI was just over at TV Newser looking at the latest ratings for the cable news outlets. FOX News beats CNN and MSNBC combined all day, Nancy Grace has been beating Keith Olbermann lately, MSNBC has been beating CNN in primetime. On the networks, NBC is still ahead, followed by ABC and CBS. And that got me thinking: what do you watch for news now? I work from home and watch TV all day long, so I watch both CNN and FOX News. At night, I usually watch Katie Couric on CBS.

How about you?

Which news do you watch?
CNN799 (11.8%)
FOX News3636 (53.9%)
MSNBC956 (14.2%)
Local news only284 (4.2%)
Network nightly news (ABC, CBS, NBC)415 (6.1%)
I only read newspapers/web sites for news658 (9.8%)

Michael Kontras

Cable News' TV ratings are becoming less and less significant. People, especially those under 45 years old, are getting their news online through their PCs and their cell phones. Proof? MSNBC's website received 39,900,000 hits in March, 2009 to FOX News' 16,800,000 according to the latest Nielson Ratings.

The future for news is the internet, not television, radio or newspapers. The election results of 2006 and 2008 are a direct result of people getting their information online. The strangle-hold that News Corp. (FOX News)and Clear Channel (Limbaugh and the like) had on the "message" in 2000 and 2004 has been broken. With the interent, people have found a way to get past the "noise."

Want to learn more? Go to RantsandObservations.com.

Sincerely,

Michael Kontras

MichaelKontras.com

June 24 2009 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thinker

Tried to watch fox. But they have so many inaccuracies, and O'reilly is so full of himself. Hanity said he would be willing to be water boarded for charity for the troops, and the spineless little weasel backed off. It is a waste of time to watch them.

May 06 2009 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie51

CNN's Susan Roesgen slammed the tea parties as "anti-government," "anti-CNN" and for being "highly promoted by the right-wing conservative network Fox," as well as "not really family viewing." Then she asked an "Why be so hard on the President of the United States?" This from a network that hammered President Bush constantly about everything from the war to the economy (and I'm not a huge Bush fan). Was that objective reporting?

When Anderson Cooper's guest David Gergen commented that Republicans were "searching for their voice" after two electoral losses, Cooper said, "It's hard to talk when you're tea-bagging." MSNBC's Keith Olbermann and guest Janeane Garofalo were so disgusting I won't even repeat their conversation. Same for David Shuster. On the April 13 broadcast of the Rachel Maddow Show, Maddow and Air America's Anna Marie Cox used the term "tea-bagging" at least 51 times in a 13-minute segment. These examples of prime time viewing are enough for me not to watch CNN or MSNBC.
Read the stories at http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=301702713742569 and http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113455/ - about the number of "journalists" who contributed to Democrats vs. Republicans. More than a 10:1 ratio. Hardly a balanced group. Read http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20086.html about left-wing "journalists" discussing how to report their stories. Read http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Bias+basics:+the+data+clearly+demonstrate+that+liberal+journalists...-a018819145 for a interesting and logical argument re media bias based on Nexis/Lexis searches.
When asked if MSNBC would hire a conservative commentator (note: not a reporter, but a commentator), Phil Griffin, the network's president replied, ""I don't know, I don't think they would be a pure conservative," he says. "There might be somebody with conservative tendencies... if they're smart and clever and get along with our other guys." I see liberal commentators on Fox regularly (e.g., Lanny Davis, Bob Beckel, Geraldine Ferraro, Alan Colmes, etc.). Fox's conservative commentators openly admit they are just that. "Journalists" Katie Couric, Tom Brokaw, Charlie Gibson, Dan Rather - all liberal hacks.

April 29 2009 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Awperator

Some fox news for you guys:

April 29 2009 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
In A World (XBL)

Wow, 55% said Faux News? Really?! It's a propaganda network, people! You've been brainwashed! You probably THINK it's news and fair and balanced, but you're under their spell... calm down, snap out of it! Remember who you are! I know the real you is still inside there somewhere!

Ok, three possible explanations for this:
A) A lot of people are just watching it for a laugh.
B) Liberals tend to read more and get their news from various sources, and Conservatives don't.
C) Some Republican operative spammed the poll, after all we know how much they like rigging elections.

April 29 2009 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bardofoc

Wow Vito. Talk about living in polling ignorance. You must not have seen a poll since the new administration's first day. Rasmussen Reports states that for the first time since November a majority of voters believe a Republican will occupy the Oval Office next. Also, Repubs continue to beat out Dems on the Generic Congressional Ballot. 41% of voters state they will support their district's Repub canditate while only 38% will support their Dem candidate. Do you even watch Fox News' competition. You obviously do not or you must simply be blind to the fact that Mr. Keith Overstate never ever has guests with views that oppose his. Even his regular viewers admit this much. Perhaps if he was open to debate, the windbag wouldn't be getting trumped by...Nancy Grace??... (lol...now lmao...now rofl) BTW-next time do research before posting your nonsense. Because once you do you'll see that its not the conservatives home all day but the liberals too lazy to get out and work for themselves

April 29 2009 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I ticked the website option because there wasn't one for "other". It's also fairly accurate, I do get most of my news online.

I don't often watch straight news, but when I do, it's BBCAmerica's World News. Other than that, I'm a fairly regular viewer of Stewart and Colbert. I'm thinking of watching Rachel Maddow more often, I like what I've seen of her.

April 29 2009 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tamara

Fox News keep claiming on how they are by far the most watched news channel. I wonder how the ratings work in the US. Here in Australia AC Neilson have the contract to do the ratings for pay TV and regional broadcast TV(but not the broadcast stations in the largest 5 cities). The way the contract is awarded is by the TV stations voting - with News Ltd (or subsidiaries) owning 55% of pay TV stations in Australia(and the number 1 pay TV provider) they could easily get the company they vote for to implement a scheme that advantages them otherwise they'll vote for someone else. So no one in Australia pays any attention at all when News Ltd spew out crap on how their own stations rate better than all others. Don't know if they do the same in the US. Here they say Fox News is the 2nd highest rating news channel here in Australia behind an Australian channel, although I don't know anyone who watches it(or if they do no one admits to it) - they all watch either CNN and/or BBC World.

April 29 2009 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tamara's comment
LC

That isn't how it works in the U.S. Nielson chooses homes across a wide demographic and either uses set top meters or the viewer records what they watch in a diary.

April 29 2009 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I haven't read through all of the posts, but I will make two statements:

1. TV news, as a rule, sucks.
2. CNN and MSNBC lean a lot more to the left than Fox News does to the right.

I will DVR tonight's Obama news conference on Fox News because I know I won't get the fawning of the other networks.

April 29 2009 at 6:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkeydog

Argh, the lack of intelligence in this topic depresses me so very much.

I miss the days of good conservative news figures, like Buckley. Not all this stuff on Fox. I truly wish there was a real conservative news network, not a hypocritical entertainment network. Not that MSNBC/CNN aren't also guilty of that, but to less of a degree.

With things like Fox News and Rush Limbaugh being heads of the GOP...well it'll be a sad future for everyone.

April 29 2009 at 6:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply