October 1, 2014

Fringe: Midnight

by Jane Boursaw, posted Apr 29th 2009 8:00AM

Fringe: Midnight
(S01E18) We're definitely getting closer to some sort of revelation on Fringe. Last week, we heard Leonard Nimoy's voice on a videotape as William Bell, talking with Walter about a young Olivia in the room with them. This week, we learned that William Bell, founder of Massive Dynamic and the richest guy in the world, is the person funding ZFT. But it's not all that shocking. We've pretty much known all along that he's involved, unless ... there's some big, new twist about his involvement yet to come.

The fact that scientists can procure bacteria and viruses for research sort of made me go "hmmm ..." I mean, obviously, they need these things to do their research, but what does it say that this guy running a makeshift lab in his house can get his hands on this stuff ...? It's a little scary in a world full of terrorists.

I had to laugh at Walter's remark about the severed spine reminding him of shrimp cocktail, and then Peter saying, "There's yet another food item to cross off my list for life." He won't be able to eat anything if he keeps working with Walter.

And Walter is just so gleeful about all the nitty-gritty stuff, digging around in peoples' severed spines, working with bacteria and whatnot. And being absolutely delighted with his "Clap On-Clap Off" gizmo he bought off a TV ad. I tell you what, though, I would not eat anything that Walter offered me. That poor guy who took the cookie ... who knows what was in it?

And yet, Walter got all serious with Nicholas Boone, saying, "If indeed there is a soul, we must understand that there's still time for redemption." I think Walter, with his fuzzy memory, is starting to realize that he's been a vital part of ZFT, and maybe he was talking about himself more than William Bell.

And what about the spinal-fluid vampire? We know that Olivia was tapped for spinal fluid. And when she asks Boone why the ZFT would want to create this creature, he says, "To create a human nightmare." They also asked him to create the skin growth toxin. But why? Do we really know why? Is it some maniacal desire for supreme power? The previews for next week showed The Observer coming for Walter and saying, "It's time to go." Go where?

Other thoughts:

- The Syphilis was extinct for decades..

- I'm not really digging the home-life storyline of Olivia's. Her asking Agent Broyles for his divorce attorney's info - for her sister - just seemed out of place. I'm guessing her sister and niece are somehow involved in the ZFT storyline. I hope it's not just a lame plot to give Olivia a backstory.

- I'm thinking that people everywhere will want one of those heat-thermal devices that Peter took into the club to detect Syphilis in people. That could save people from a world of hurt.

- The caged dogs and open carcass in Boone's lab will I'm sure irk the animal rights people. I wonder if J.J. Abrams is getting all kinds of hate mail over that.

Your thoughts on this week's episode?

Fringe' Show & Cast Photos

FRINGE Walter (John Noble), Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) enter a governement warehouse to examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Peter (Joshua Jackson), Olivia (Anna Torv), Walter (John Noble) and Broyles (Lance Reddick) return to the lab to gather more information on a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Walter (John Noble, L) and Peter (Joshua Jackson, R) examine a mysterious cylinder found among the debris of a construction site explosion in the episode "The Arrival." Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

FRINGE Olivia (Anna Torv) chases a suspect through the woods in the episode "The Arrival". Airs Tuesday, September 30, 2008.

Fox

NEW YORK - SEPTEMBER 13: Actress Jasika Nicole attends FOX's "Fringe" premiere during the 2008 New York Television Festival at New World Stage on September 13, 2008 in New York City. (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Jasika Nicole

Getty Images

Executive Producers John Wirth, Josh Friedman and James Middleton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Molly Stanton arrive at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Jesse Tyler Ferguson arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Mark Valley arrives at The Paley Center and TV Guide

Jean Baptiste Lacroix/WireImage.com

Melanie51

2nd funniest line of the night (after Peter's line about looking for a girl with Syphilis) was when Walter toured Dr. Boone around his lab and whispered, "I also have a cow."

April 30 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

The device Peter was using was a standard IR camera of the type used by fire departments. We have the exact same model on my truck. Very fun to play with!

Did anyone else draw any conection to HP Lovecraft's "Cool Air"? At least the part about the spinal fluid? I thought it was quite interesting.

April 30 2009 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

"his quote to the lady " I'm looking for someone with Syphilis" and her reaction was hilarious."

It reminded me of a scene from Delerious with Eddie Murphy where he talks about the straight guy playing tennis with the gay guy.

Anyone catch towards the end of show Olivia calls the organization CFT (i think that is the correct letters i didn't rewind it) and not ZFT...or maybe CC read CFT and i heard ZFT as i read it.

April 30 2009 at 4:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I was really really hoping that at the end, when the two were watching the final recorded message of the husband, that right after it was over, it got real fuzzy, as though it had recorded over, and then BAM, the clip from last week and Olive in a corner appears, as though Walter was trying to tape over his tape...and Olivia hears Walters voice and looks over and says "is...is that your father's voice??"...cut to credits. =)

April 29 2009 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cody

what was the deal at the beginning with the people from "two singles together". Was that just throwaway stuff? I wish shows like this wouldn't do things like that unless they have some deep meaning in the overall story.

April 29 2009 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nate

fringe code answer this week was "eight". wonder what that means.

April 29 2009 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAKB

Glad to 'hear' Jean is still around but I wish we could have seen her. Also loved Astrid looking heavenward when Walter called her 'Aspen'. She's completely given up on correcting him. These are 2 of the best running gags in prime time.

Also enjoyed seeing Daniel London as Agent Pardue. Hope we get to see him some more in future episodes.

Oh and I sooooo wanted a Peek Freen after this ep. For the uninitiated they are 'extraordinarily serious cookies'.

April 29 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billbo

I don't think Peter's gizmo detected syphilis, it detected body temperature and he was looking for the "hot" vampire who just happened to have syphilis.

April 29 2009 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Billbo's comment
LRM

This is correct.

April 29 2009 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Yeah, I don't believe normal syphilis raises one's body temperature to 105 degrees. That person certainly wouldn't be able to go clubbing, that's for sure!

April 29 2009 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bart Smith

"I'm guessing her sister and niece are somehow involved in the ZFT storyline."

Rachel mentioned something about taking her daughter to get vaccinations a couple of episodes ago. I'm guessing there's more to that doctor's visit than just normal vaccinations.

April 29 2009 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Drysdale

Re: Olivia's home life, my guess is something disastrous will happen to (probably) her niece either in or leading up to the season finale. See, for instance, the little girl's reference to the monsters inside of her or whatever in a recent episode (sorry, memory's fuzzy).

April 29 2009 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply