September 1, 2014

Here's the new Tonight Show logo

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 29th 2009 9:05AM
Tonight Show logoSo what do you think of it? I like it. Conan says that he "wanted a logo that acknowledged the long, rich tradition of The Tonight Show while still looking good on hats, t-shirts, mugs, lawn furniture, notebooks, stemware, urns, defibrillators, water bottles, cell phones, sports equipment, pens, vacuums, chimes and our new line of unisex cologne."

Now we just have to see what the theme song and opening will look like. Conan takes over the show on June 1.

suziq

does anyone know who designed the logo? I find it sleek and clean

June 04 2009 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I think he wanted to keep it simple and not too slick looking like Jay Leno's was or even the snazzy logo of Jimmy Kimmel's. He still used that moon that was famous on his Late Night with Conan O'Brien logo.

May 24 2009 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

its very plain but for some reason I like it

April 29 2009 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordancda

I actually like it a lot. I dont' even mind the grey because it certainly makes it stand out among late night logos. But it definitely feels VERY Consy.

April 29 2009 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

I hope they don't use those colors all the time, but it looks good... It matches Conan well.

April 29 2009 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlotte

I think it's too simple. I could make that in Photoshop in like two minutes.

April 29 2009 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Charlotte's comment
KIrsch

Really then why don't you work for NBC?

April 29 2009 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Theo

It's simplicity is not the point though, it's supposed to reflect the Tonight Show's long history and it's classic, smooth feel. Like Dean Martin... or scotch.

May 02 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

Has anyone heard any rumors about how to get tickets for the first shows other than the one already out there about them giving them to Universal Studios guests that day? If the current rumor is true where will they give them out at?

April 29 2009 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chrissthomas's comment
Paul

Though from what I've heard, the first show itself is full -- but there may still be tickets for other days that first week.

April 29 2009 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

Font is fine - not fond of the colors, I hope they stick with the deep blues of both the tonight show and Late Night.

April 29 2009 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I like the inclusion of the moon, consistent with his "Late Night" logo.

I wonder if the opening theme will be a rehash of the Late Night theme, kinda like how Letterman's Late Show theme is a grander version of the 12:30 version.

Both cases have the same band involved.

April 29 2009 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

He'll have a tough act to follow....in the tradition of Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson...

April 29 2009 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply