September 20, 2014

Transformers movie now has more ties to the cartoon

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 29th 2009 10:03AM
TransformersWhile the first Transformers movie was, in my opinion, several different kinds of suck, I give props to Michael Bay and company for doing one good move (and quite possibly the only one) with regards to the sequel. Frank Welker will be doing the voice of Soundwave. For those who are unaware, Welker did the voice of the same character in the 1980's cartoon. He'll be joining Peter Cullen (the voice of Optimus Prime) as one of the only two voices from that series that is involved with the movie franchise.

While I have less hope for the sequel then I did for the original, I do recall Soundwave's eerie metallic voice back when I used to watch that cartoon, and cannot help but think that it would be appropriate for a giant robot bad guy in any series about giant robots. Now if only Michael Bay would make other good decisions to go along this one and not continue to screw up one of my favorite childhood icons.

vincent bouder

i liked the show(well, i still love it actually)--and i like both of the movies----i feel like a young lad again!!!!I liked the ending and i hope there is another one.

July 01 2009 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

you guys need to let go of the total G1 comparison. It is never going to be like the show.

I am huge fan of the G1 series myself. But seriously, watch some episodes now, and see if you want the exact same things in the movies.

I could use less alien looking bots in the movie though

April 29 2009 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bubbameister33

I hate movie snobs.

April 29 2009 at 7:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ERock

Welker was also Megatron in the original series as well, but they opted for Hugo.

April 29 2009 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ERock's comment
Miles

I hope you're the real Erock. If so you're the coolest. If not, I just want to say I really liked the movie too.

April 29 2009 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I only need bring up one point:

The way Optimus disposes of Bone Crusher in the first movie. The casual viewer would never even realize that Prime used his energon ax from the original 3-part pilot of the show.

Details like that make me love these movies.

April 29 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dennis phillips

So it was the lips that got you huh?How about the 2hr GM commercial!

April 29 2009 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dennis phillips's comment
Rob

Yeah,.. um,.. didn't notice, didn't care.

Besides, who cares? So all the cars were from GM. Big frickin' deal. It doesn't change the plot, story, or entertainment value. Hell, I was just happy to see the new Camero in the movie.

April 29 2009 at 10:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I'm with you, Rob. It was a cheesy movie about giant robots made after a cheesy TV show about giant robots. I got what I expected...a couple hours of entertainment. The presence of metallic lips does not rank high in the list of atrocities that consume my mind!

April 29 2009 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jason's comment
GL

I completely agree with you. If asked, I would not have been able to tell you whether OP had lips or not. The movie was enjoyable to me, which was slightly more than I was hoping for.

April 29 2009 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

Well it will probably be the more unpopular opinion, but someone needs to defend it.

I liked Transformers, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

There,.. it was said. Let the flaming begin.

Now I will admit that it had it's faults (like HD said,.. prime should never had had lips), but all-in-all I think Bay did a pretty good job with it - all things considered.

April 29 2009 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rob's comment
Bubbameister33

Thank you, that needed to be said. What do people expect? This was a movie based on a cartoon about alien robots that fucking fight each other.

April 29 2009 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

"While the first Transformers movie was, in my opinion, several different kinds of suck..."

- Thank you, needed to be said. Prime had lips...LIPS, need I say more? Hated the production design and the story. It's sad in a movie about giant fighting robots, that I was more interested in the predictable B-story of awkward teenage love.

Maybe through some miracle Bay will quit and move on to "Mork and Mindy" the movie and leave Transformers to someone like James Cameron.

April 29 2009 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Guess Who's comment
No1Dad

Couldn't agree more. Character design was really disappointing. But if they can remake The Hulk, Batman and Superman etc, then hopefully someone will decide to remake Transformers the right way.

April 29 2009 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply