October 30, 2014

Syndicated Deal or No Deal renewed and relocated

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 30th 2009 8:02PM
Deal or No DealMaybe my home town should offer tax incentives to the networks. It's working for Connecticut. Not only did NBC announce that the half-hour syndicated version of Deal or No Deal is returning for a second season with host Howie Mandel, but it will be relocating and filming in Connecticut.

I guess with a game show it doesn't matter where you film since it's the same set all the time, but are there as many incredibly gorgeous chicks in Connecticut as there are in California? Isn't Cali where they all go to see their dreams of being an actress reduced to standing on a stage next to a briefcase?

The syndicated Deal joins Maury, The Jerry Springer Show and The Steve Wilkos Show (the bald security guy who used to be on Springer) in Connecticut. This means that there's a 50/50 chance on any given day that the Springer/Wilkos crowd will walk into the wrong studio and start throwing chairs and briefcases all over the Deal or No Deal set. No word on whether or not the prime-time Deal is moving as well, or if Howie will have to commute back-and-forth. If he can't make it one day, I'm sure Wilkos would do it. He's bald and can bump fists, no one would notice!

koneil

Wrong, wrong wrong. As someone else mentioned above, the syndicated version only uses two models. I'm guessing they'll have the opportunity to stay with the show before they would bother to recast, but even if they do recast, I'm sure we in the state of CT can manage to scrape up two somewhat pretty girls. ;)

Also, Deal or No Deal will not shoot in the same location as the other two shows mentioned in the article -- in fact, they are hours of driving away from each other, so no accidentally showing up on the wrong set. Really lazy writing. As a former reporter, I am ashamed for you.

July 23 2009 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Graham

If you want to get petty Jason, the models in question retreive the suitcases in the syndicated version. Also, there is no mention of the prime-time version until the end of the article, so any normal person would assume you are talking about the synicated version and not the prime-time one.

I do enjoy TV Squad as a site, but I have an issue with lazy writing. If you want a position like this, I'd suggest that you either grow a thicker skin or make your point better.

May 01 2009 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

As long as they still have my darling Tameka on the show...nothing else matters.

May 01 2009 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mc

Would it not make more sense to film Maury/Springer/Wilkos in a more southern state so they wouldn't have to fly the "people" that appear on the show to CT? I was thinking WV, KY, TN, GA (Macon County).

May 01 2009 at 7:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Hughes

Or as there are models on the show still, he was referring to them. And as he mentioned there was no word on whether the primetime DOND would be moving as well, perhaps he was speculating on how that might be impacted as well.

I love the positive vibe that comes from the TV Squad commenters. You guys are the best!

May 01 2009 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Graham

Elf,

You are right, except the models collect the opened cases.

This makes me think that the poster of this article doesn't watch the show and didn't do any research before posting it, but did it just to get his post count for the day up.

May 01 2009 at 2:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

when and where is the syndicated version broadcast?

April 30 2009 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edward's comment
Jason Hughes

That would vary depending on where you are. You'd have to check your local listings as it would depend on whichever local channel picked it up in your area.

May 01 2009 at 2:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christopher

Conn. offers a 40% tax break.

There's your answer.

April 30 2009 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

This is why these spin-offs never work. Originally they are good, then the bean counters come and relocate the show to Connecticut.

Connecticut? Give me a break! The only reason to suffer through DOND is the hot babes.

Pretty soon they will replace the banker with a 800# to India and replace Howie with one of those cardboard cut-outs.

April 30 2009 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply