December 22, 2014

The Unusuals: 42 - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 30th 2009 10:08AM
The UnusualsI watched the first ten minutes of this episode last night and that's it, so I'm not sure what the 42 in the episode title refers to. I know that it has something to do with weird happenings/coincidences that happen to Harold Perrineau's character. Can I also assume it's a reference to Douglas Adam's The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy?

Fox Mulder's apartment number was 42, if I remember correctly ...

Skutner

according to google calculator: the answer to life, the universe and everything = 42

April 30 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MAKB

I won't give away much of the episode, but the number '42' kept coming up a lot in the episode and naturally that kept freaking out Det. Banks. For example they had to report to an accident scene at 4th and 2nd and there were 42 witnesses to be interviewed ... stuff like that. I wonder if the writers also picked '42' as an inside joke since the actor who plays Banks - Harold Perrineau is a 'LOST' alumni and '42' is the last of the infamous #s on lost

April 30 2009 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

Several of his relatives died at the age of 42. He thinks he will, too. I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I know he's either about to turn 42 or he already did. This is also why he always wears a bullet-proof vest.

April 30 2009 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Lorie's comment
Norby

There was also a bus holdup that took place at the intersection of 4th Ave and 2nd St and there were 42 passengers on the bus.

April 30 2009 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ron

Also the bus number of the hijacked bus was M42, and a psychic on the bus told Perrineau's character that the number 42 was tied to his fate during interviews/interrogations of the passengers.

I think this is a nice quirky show. I feel it has a lot of potential, but the past couple episodes have been somewhat lacking for me. This episode was nice since it resolved one of the issues/plot-lines that began in the first episode (Frank Lutz / Henry Cole), and I was hoping TPTB would tie the closure of this plotline to the greater plotline of Tamblyn's character's job to root out the "bad cops" in the precinct. I think they missed a good opportunity to reveal or hint at maybe Det. Walsh's skeleton's.

April 30 2009 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply