July 22, 2014

Which bubble show do USA Today readers most want saved?

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 30th 2009 6:01PM
Better Off TedUSA Today ran a poll of those shows considered "on the bubble" for renewal. The poll was asking fans which show they wanted to see renewed the most. If you were to just look at the comments I've seen here and across the web, I'd think the answer was pretty obvious. Unfortunately, a certain massively chinned man may be hurting it's chances, otherwise what else would that network have to replace it. Let's face it, a modest hit is a juggernaut when you're getting beaten at times by cable networks and The CW.

Also not a surprise is the show that came in dead last in the poll. I checked out the first episode and before it was even over I was jumping into the DVR and deleting that Season Pass, hoping nobody saw that I had put it on there. And considering the pedigree of the talent involved, it's a damn shame they put out such a steaming turd. Can you guess which shows topped and bottomed the list?

It should come as no surprise to anyone that Chuck nailed the top slot, with more than half of the 41,000 polled looking for a renewal. I think all of this support on a network that's hurting for ratings love should help. It also helps that Chuck pulled out an amazing Season Finale that left fans drooling for more. Other top contenders included CBS oldies like Cold Case and Without a Trace, and surprisingly strong support for a continuation of Scrubs.

On the low end we had Better Off Ted, which just tells me the people voting haven't even watched the show. How can you not love the quirky happenings at Veridian Dynamics. Did you see their video poking fun at President Obama's address last night? At the rock bottom of the list is the horrific Sit Down, Shut Up! Fox is the place to go for animation, and with the folks behind Arrested Development, along with a lot of the voice talent, on board this should have been amazing. Oh how wrong it was.

What's really wrong is that nowhere on the list is The CW's Reaper, which USA considers beyond hope at this point. Dammit, USA Today if you print it they will cancel! Don't you know? That's why we should all be saying that it's a shoe-in for a renewal. Start sending socks to the network or something! Click the link to check out what else did make the list.

Argus

I actually agree that the animated format of Sit Down Shut Up is hurting it. Too many of them just aren't voice actors and the animation itself is nothing special.

May 01 2009 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

Wow. I guess I'm the only one who finds Sit Down Shut Up funny. It's not obnoxiously, disturbingly unfunny like "Do Not Disturb" -- it's just...different.

May 01 2009 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lawrence Letzig

CHUCK IS TOP KNOTCH ENTERTAINMENT WITH A GREAT CAST AND GIFTED WRITERS---THEY HAVE REALLY PRIMED THE PUMP FOR NEXT SEASON---I NEVER MISS AN EPISODE--IT IS TIME FOR SARAH TO TELL CHUCK SHE LOVES HIM AND GET ON WITH THE NEW ADVENTURES.

May 01 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean frank

Better Off Ted was not aired last night due to the Presidents speech in my viewing area, but it has quickly become one of my faves as well as my husbands. We also enjoyed Sarah Chronicles. We feel at this point that every time we like something (Jericho, Eli Stone...), might as well get ready to become displeased, wave goodbye and wait for the next great show to air, get no credibility....etc....lower the curtain, continue to feel old since we are no longer the "in" crowd!

April 30 2009 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to jean frank's comment
Jeff N.

I've recorded several episodes of Better Off Ted and shown them to different friends who have never heard of it. They all found the show hilarious. It's one of those shows that begs to be found! Very funny show!
Chuck had a great last 3 episodes this season. It's just a very fun show to watch! And really enjoy that show at our house! I hope it is renewed!

May 01 2009 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Chuck and Better Off Ted are two of the best shows on TV right now. Both are well acted, well written and clever. It's amazing to me that a show like "The Mentalist" can be an instant #1 hit despite it's stupidity, but hilarious and brilliant comedy like "Better Off Ted" can be completely ignored. Chuck is another show that baffles me why it's not successful. It's humorous, action-packed, has great continuity and some episodes this season have been truly perfect television.

I'll never understand how people can watch "Survivor" but not enjoy "Chuck".

May 01 2009 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Other shows besides Reaper that USA Today considers gone and hence ineligible for this poll: Eleventh Hour, Life, Dollhouse, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and, surprisingly, According to Jim.

With all those missing, and Scrubs previously announced as ending this season, does it surprise anyone that Chuck won handily?

April 30 2009 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Funny, I consider the cast one of the worst parts of Sit Down, Shut Up. Skill on camera does not automatically translate to skill in voice work. The only "voice talent" as you call it on the show is Tom Kenny.

April 30 2009 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ReaperDMV

Thanks for the advice about Reaper. We've been trying for months and there's still time left - but not much. May upfronts are just a few short weeks away.

ADDRESSES (keep in mind snail mail is by far the most effective, remember Jericho):

Ms. Dawn Ostroff
President
The CW
3300 W. Olive Avenue
Burbank, CA 91505
Re: REAPER

Mr. Stephen McPherson
President
ABC Entertainment Group
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521
Re: REAPER

EMAIL (if you do this, copy and print it out too, then stick a stamp on it and send it in!):

feedback@CWTV.com