October 22, 2014

Andy Barker P.I. coming to DVD

by Danny Gallagher, posted May 1st 2009 11:03AM
Andy Richter in Andy Barker P.I.The DVD shelves have become a heaven of forgotten shows that barely saw the light of day.

Get ready to welcome one that got less sunlight than your goth cousin gets in a year.

The Late Night Insider blog
, the underground blog of the former Late Night with Conan O'Brien, reported that O'Brien and former and returning sidekick Andy Richter are recording commentary tracks for a new Andy Barker P.I. DVD.

The show, produced and written by O'Brien and starring Richter in the title role, only lasted six episodes, but they were six episodes of crime solving hilarity that made murder funny again.

Barker is a CPA who moves into a strip mall, but gets bitten by the private eye bug when the atypical women in distress from every film noir ever made mistakes him for a previous tenant who worked as a PI. Barker needs the money and uses the awesome power of accounting to solve the crime.

The series had the feel of an early TV detective series as if the creators had grown up on shows like Columbo or Quincy, which wouldn't surprise me since it feels and works an awful lot like O'Brien's other detective comedy Lookwell. It's a great fish-out-of-water story where the fish learns to grow a strong pair of gills that work in both environments.

As a comedy, it's just as strong, thanks to some smartly written dialogue and brilliant casting decisions such as actor Tony Hale as Simon, Andy's video store manager neighbor whose film fandom and hatred of mainstream mush makes Randall Graves sound like Ben Lyons.

There doesn't seem to be an official release date, but you can bet it will hit the shelves around the time Conan's Tonight Show takes to the airwaves, unless Jay Leno has a TV pilot that NBC can overshadow it with instead.

YouFaceTheTick

Great show but like his other series too smart for American audiences. They want their comedy simple and slow - ideally with a studio audience.

May 02 2009 at 3:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I loved this short-run series. I'll probably pick this up.

May 01 2009 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

I made it about 3/4 of the way through this show's season before I faded out. It has Buster from Arrested Development in it, and a great actress who plays Andy's unwanted secretary. My main problem was just the concept of the show... a modern day "Private Investigator"???

Unless we're talking about Dick Tracy, there was just no way this show could've survived longer. Perhaps it would've worked better as a movie... Andy has to get tired of all his TV projects being insta-canceled.

May 01 2009 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MCW's comment
MCW

I did watch it in its original run, and also, here is the actress I was talking about: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1531996/

She is freaking funny... she should have her own show, and *NOT* ON THE CW.

May 01 2009 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laffy4k

I am working my way though reliving "Andy Richter Controls The Universe" right now (just came out on DVD a few months ago; one of my favorite comedys of all time!)... looks like Andy Barker, P.I. will be next on my list!

May 01 2009 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to laffy4k's comment
Cincinnati Mike

I put my name on the Amazon waiting list for ARCTU over two years ago. So I am a devoted Andy fan. The detective show just didn't do it for me.

May 01 2009 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

AWESOME! I am in like Flynn!

May 01 2009 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Pass. That show is so forgettable

May 01 2009 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jeff's comment
Justin

Pass on your comment--which is even more forgettable.

May 01 2009 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe stalin

Thats what she said .... about you.
Seriously what kind of a low life, brain-less, dick-less, two-faced, scum sucking, no good, rotten, chicken humping, sack of fermented sheeeeeet would say something like that about Andy Richter?

May 01 2009 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply