October 22, 2014

How about a "The Chronological Lost" Blu-Ray when it's all over

by Jason Hughes, posted May 2nd 2009 6:00PM
LostDear People Who Make Lost:

I like your show. It is a lot of fun. But sometimes it is confusing. Maybe someday you can tell the story in order.

Love,
A Lost Fan

How sweet would that be. I was watching the latest Faraday extravaganza and thinking about all the stories we've gotten through the years, the flash forwards and flashbacks and jumps through time. It's getting pretty hard to keep track of what happened before and after what.

So here's what I'm thinking (and maybe they've already thought of it). After it's all said and done next year, we need a special Blu-Ray set that offers two viewing options. In one you can watch the episodes as they aired, and in the other, you can watch the events of the entire series in true chronological order.

I'm not sure how good the narrative would be, but what a fascinating way to experience the entire saga. It would also show us how well the writers kept all the cohesive parts together ... or didn't, as the case may be. So, now you've got something to work on for Summer 2010. I'll be waiting!

tonioj

I doubt it would make things easier.
For instance 1977 events on the island happened before 2004 but in the lives of Sawyer, Jack and the rest, they take place after.

May 04 2009 at 5:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nquoid

Thing is it would only be good for fans. What happens when in 1974 when Sawyer and co. arrive there via the flashes? or 1977 when Jack and co. arrive from Ajira 317? Three characters who an audience have no connection to just appearing in a story that's only just begun, involving time travel.

I agree whilst it might be cool, it would only be good for the diehard fans who have watched every episode. Lost was told in a very specific manner so that the audience got the most out of the story, doing it chronological loses some of the magic such as the twist in Season 1 when Locke was in the wheel chair or the flashforward in Season 3. Those are quintessential Lost moments and you lose if you do it chronologically.

Also to the person who said they'd change the past, they won't. "What Happened, Happened" and all that.

May 03 2009 at 5:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Romain

Funny, the exact same thing crossed my mind watching Wednesday's episode...

May 03 2009 at 4:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shaun

terrible idea...

If you watched everything in chronological order, nothing would make any sense!

Maybe if you watched it in the order that the characters experienced everything, but still most of the magic and mystery would be put to the wayside

May 03 2009 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Nice idea, but I agree, it wouldn't really work. Yeah, I think the Season 4 DVD has all the flashforwards in order. Maybe they could just have a nice interactive timeline.

May 03 2009 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

This is why there's a timeline on Lostpedia.
So you can figure out how everything plays in chronological order, without having to watch it all. It would be a lot less interesting or dramatic if you were to watch it completely in chronological order. I mean, imagine watching the cast in Dharma times, referring to events that haven't even occurred yet to the viewer? It'd just be kind of messy.

May 03 2009 at 12:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger Thorpe

There is a lot of material that didnt make the shows, but is available on line, The scene with Jack and his Dad talking about the watch. I would like to see LOST: the chronology, there is the crash on line on You Tube that has multiple boxes when the action takes place on the same plane of time...It could be really cool....I would buy it.

May 03 2009 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

The Season 4 DVD bonus features had a chronological showing of all the flashforwards featuring the Oceanic Six from Season 4 (and S3 finale). (I happened to watch this last night, which is why it is fresh on my mind).

For the most part it was really boring. There were a few continuity things I noticed, like Jack started growing that awful beard when he played basketball with Hurley, but then he's clean-shaven in several subsequent scenes before the awful beard comes back in full force.

I could see this being a bonus feature on the Season Six DVDs, although they'd have to edit them way down (otherwise it'd be something like 130 hours long!). I will be amazed, though, if there isn't some fan who painstakingly does this and releases a torrent. It'd be illegal, of course, but probably one of those things the studios would look the other way on.

May 02 2009 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kip's comment
rp

It wouldn't be that long. Remember, each episode is only about 41-44 minutes long. When you cut out credits and intros, they get even shorter. Still, it would be interesting to see if fans could do a good job of editing to gloss over some of the continuity errors in scenes that would need to be addressed.

May 02 2009 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sid

also, who's timeline are we following? are we doing to watch jack and sawyer in the darhma initiative before the plane crashes?

May 02 2009 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tostie14

Well, I know most of us fans are above watching the clip shows, but "The Story of the Oceanic 6" essentially put all of the last season and a half in chronological order, so maybe them doing something like that for the entire series isn't totally bogus?

May 02 2009 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply