October 24, 2014

Jane After Dark: Top five Buffy hookups

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 2nd 2009 10:10AM
Buffy and Spike - Sarah Michelle Gellar and James MarstersLast week, I devoted my first Jane After Dark column to my top five Buffy moments. I was thrilled to read all the responses, both here on TV Squad and at Whedonesque, where the post was picked up. Fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer are a passionate bunch!

This week, I thought it would be fun to delve into my favorite Buffy hookups. One that didn't make the list but holds a special place in my heart is Giles and Joyce. It was a fleeting moment, but one that was fun and would have made for great storytelling had it continued.

But who to pair Buffy up with -- Spike, Angel or Riley? What about Spike and Drusilla? And while Willow and Tara had a special love affair, there's a lot to be said for Willow and Oz. And what of Xander? Sure, he and Anya had a fun romance, but his hookups with Cordelia and even Faith were intense in their own way.

Oh the choices! Read on for my thoughts, and please add your own in the comments below.

1. Buffy and Spike. Sure, their hot-sex-turned-rabid-sweet affair began as sheer hatred for each other, but somewhere along the way, Spike got a soul and Buffy just couldn't hold out any longer. All that vile turned to lust and then a bizarre sort of love took hold until their hands touched and burst into flames as he sacrificed himself to save the world. But what about when he tried to rape her? Should that have kept them off my list? It's a good question. They went through a lot, and while certainly tragic, the near-rape was just a small part of their journey.

2. Buffy and Angel.
Of course, I can't leave out Buffy's first love, Angel. Just as Spike found his soul for Buffy, Angel and Buffy's hookup caused Angel to lose his soul. And oh, the day after they first made love -- when she hugged him and then realized that he wasn't Angel, but rather the evil Angelus -- heartbreaking! They saved each other time and time again, and she even had to kill him to save the world. I can't think of a more tragic love affair in TV history, but through it all their love endured, even as distance separated them.

3. Willow and Tara. "Lesbian" hardly defines the romance shared by these two witches, but sure enough, they were lesbians. I like how it grew slowly, each bringing out the best in the other. I have to say, though, I was disappointed when they broke up during Willow's "dark and veiny" period. I like to think that Tara could have stood by her girl, but I guess that's not how addiction works -- and Willow was addicted to her spells and potions. My favorite moment for these two was when Tara sent out a spell in the form of a tiny blue ball, flitting through the air to find her love and bring her home. It showed the deep connection these girls shared -- until it came to a tragic end, that is.

4. Xander and Anya. With his skill at the one-liners and her giddy schoolgirl charm, these two complemented each other like nobody's business. But I can't tell you how frustrated I was when Xander walked out on Anya on their wedding day. First of all, after all the wacky hijinks that took place since Buffy moved to town, did he NOT know that his "future self" might be a weird spell?And yet he immediately assumes it's for real and leaves his poor girl at the altar. Argh.

5. Buffy and Riley.
Ok, after much deliberation, these two get my fifth slot. After knowing each other for a bit, what a fun moment when they finally realized they were both slaying vampires. I appreciated when Buffy showed Riley her fighting skills, and it only made them more passionate for each other. How different things would have been if he'd only seen her when she came running up to the helicopter as he was leaving that night to fight the good fight elsewhere. Then showed up later in the series with his wife!

Ok, give it to me. Like my picks or think I'm off my rocker? I await your comments with gleeful anticipation.

casualencounters

I hated the Willow and Tara romance. It just wasn't a credible transformation for Willow to make after all the mooning after boys she'd been doing. And I agree about the Xander leaving Anya at the altar thing being RIDICULOUS. I wanted to CRUSH Whedon for writing that abortion. God, thinking about it NOW I'm getting angry. http://casualencounters.com/blog/

May 20 2009 at 2:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Potential

I would have to say: 1) Buffy and Angel
2) tie between Willow and Oz and Willow and Tara (the latter was so sweet and beautiful and the former just fit so perfectly--so sad when Oz left)
3) Angelus and Darla
4) Buffy and Spike
5) Xander and Anya
But I gotta say that I also think Giles and Jenny, Xander and Cordy and Faith and Principal Wood were great matches as well. And didn't Buffy cheat on Riley when she did the cross-over and went to L.A. to help Angel? If you haven't seen this episode do NOT read any further. Anyway, Angel became human, they hooked up, he reversed time, he remembered but nobody else did. Buffy went back to Sunnydale where she was already in a serious relationship with Riley (hence the massive fight between Riley and Angel--and Riley was already AWOL from the Initiative--when Angel showed up to apologize for how things had ended in LA). Anyone with me here? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

May 11 2009 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tanahy

Buffy and Spike as your number 1?! Are you serious? The number one hook up on BTVS was and ALWAYS will be Angel and Buffy. He is her first and TRUE love. And remember, she will find him when she's done "baking".

Also how could you put Riley and Buffy on the list and leave out Drusilla and Spike? Buffy and Riley had no chemistry and I was happy when he finally left. Honestly, any couple would have been better that Buffy and Riley (Oz & Willow; Xander & Cordy)

May 08 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

The love affair between Angel and Buffy was too vanilla. Buffy had an intense animal attraction for Spike. Buffy was working at the fast food joint in Season 6. Spike walks by, gives Buffy a look; Buffy takes off her hat and they start making out in an alley. HOT!

May 06 2009 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyv

I'm not sure whether Buffy loved Spike, I go back and forth on it every time I watch. In Dead Things (S6) there are some hints that she might have feelings for him (you always hurt the one you love, not answering Tara when she asks if Buffy loves Spike) but if she does at that point it clearly isn't any healthy kind of love, and after the events of Seeing Red, though some women do continue to love in those situations, it seems unlikely that Buffy would, especially when she starts to feel better about herself by the end of the season.

However towards the end of S7, particularly the last three episodes, there does seem to be something there. Spike doesn't believe it's love, I'm not so sure, she admits to Angel that Spike is 'in her heart' and she definitely trusts him now.

Either way it pushes my tragedy buttons as either she confesses her love and he doesn't believe her or she tries to lie to him and give him what he wants in his final moments but he sees through it.

That said, if Spike had survived and driven off on that school bus with them I still don't think him and Buffy would have gotten together. Just as I don't think her and Angel will end up together in the future. I think both relationships were ended perfectly on the show, even in the much maligned The Girl In Question.

For Angel relationships... (I don't know how far Jane has gotten so if she's reading I say, TURN AWAY NOW)

Loved Wes/Lilah, agree about Wes/Fred (though later, tragedy, which pushes my buttons a bit) but I'm afraid I'm that rare beast, someone who liked Angel/Cordy!

May 04 2009 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Siv

Buffy/Angel
Giles/Jenny
Xander/Cordelia
Willow/Oz
Spike/Drusilla

May 04 2009 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobkat

I always put Willow and tara on top. They're just the most perfectly *matched* on-screen couple I've ever seen. (and I'ma 53-year-old white male straight evangelical republican, so I've seen a *lot* of couples.) One goes out where the other goes in like the bight of Benin, I always say about them.

I won't argue with most other choices. I loved Riley, just not *with* Buffy. Spike & Dru had a terrifying sweetness.

May 04 2009 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyv

Well, just because his name didn't change doesn't mean he wasn't a different person. I'm not sure I buy the clear line between Angel and Angelus either, which is explored at length in Angel the series. Their situations are pretty similar - leaving aside Spike actually searching for his soul which depending on your reading could either be an admission of guilt or another manipulative move to get Buffy back which backfired on him bigtime. I like both vamps but there is no denying that without their souls they were both murderers and rapists.

May 04 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Gee

1. Buffy and Angel.
2. Willow and Tara.
3. Willow and Oz.
4. Xander and Anya.
5. Spike and Drucilla.

I wasn't a big Spike and Buffy fan before he tried to rape her and was even less of one after. I know that Angelus tried to kill Buffy and her friends but that's just it, it was Angelus and not Angel. There was a clear line between the two. Whereas Spike was professing his love for Buffy and then tried to rape her.

Oh and if we're including non-sexual relationships then my #2 would be Buffy and Giles.

May 04 2009 at 7:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply