July 28, 2014

NBC renews Southland

by Bob Sassone, posted May 2nd 2009 3:00PM
Southland renewed for 13 more episodes

Really, this isn't a huge surprise.

NBC has renewed the new Thursday night police drama Southland for another 13 episodes. The reason why I don't think this is a big surprise is because the show is getting some attention (though the ratings aren't as good as they were when the first episode debuted) and because it's a John Wells, show, and if there's anyone who is going to get a thumbs up from NBC its Wells, who also did ER, The West Wing, and Third Watch for the network. I guess it's interesting that it's 13 episodes and not a full season, but that order could be upped later (or maybe this will become more of the norm, renewing shows with a shorter episode order).

Barbara Hudson

Like the cast and characters and the stories are well written. My problem is that the filming is so dark it makes it hard to watch. All other programs have much more color and better lighting. Am I the only watcher who is having this problem? I think this is why the program is loosing its audience....

May 15 2009 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jason

Boring .............. LOL what show are you watching? maybe you should sit down and actually watch an EP. I am not saying you have to like it but it is far from boring. Pay attention people. This show has so much going on it is crazy. I don't like the swearing though either.

May 07 2009 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jason's comment
Teacha

+1...It's hard to find well written drama on television anymore without watching the pay channels. Southland actually has characters you like, (Cudlitz) and characters you love to hate (C. Thomas Howell, who's a long way from Ponyboy Curtis at this point). I don't think it's boring at all. I'm sick of crap like Private Practice and Grey's Anatomy that insult our intelligence with "love" stories and outrageous plot points that are simply there to be outrageous. Give me a story about PEOPLE, fer cryin' eye. Not ridiculously gorgeous vacuous fashion plates. Leave that to Lifetime.

May 09 2009 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric f

Contrary to the other posters, I think Southland is a great show. I find nothing boring about it. Even characters I thought I would dislike turn out to be interesting.

May 03 2009 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric Kaysen

I agree with the earlier comments about this show being somewhat boring and directionless. It probably speaks to the Hollywood network suits, but I don't see people around the rest of the country connecting. Being a recovering Southern Californian now living in the NY area, I tuned in out of curiosity. The show is hard core LA for sure and smacks of realism with a touch of SoCal loopiness, but I liked Boomtown better.

May 03 2009 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

" Now, NBC, when you announce which shows you've picked up and which shows aren't coming back on Monday, could you please renew Chuck for another season? Thanks. "

and MediuM for me NBC

May 02 2009 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Personally, I don't really have much interest in this show. I have two episodes saved on my DVR and I really have no great desire to watch them. I doubt I'll return next season. I find the series boring. It meanders all over the place in every episode, which I find annoying.

As for the 13 episode order, I actually think that's a good thing, but only if it means we'll get more series to watch. Maybe NBC should go to a two-season, 13 episode set up where the series on in the fall are different than the series on in the Spring.

Limiting a series to 13 episodes also forces the writers to really focus each episode on story and character development without the need for filler episodes. Heroes would be a good example of a series that could be more successful, I think, with a shorter 13 episode season.

May 02 2009 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jimmy's comment
Ben

Hasn't Heroes already been doing that with their "Volume" setup? Sure, the first volume was 23 episodes. But due to the strike the second was 11. Volume Three was 13 and Four was 12.

May 02 2009 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

> "I find the series boring. It meanders all over the place in every episode, which I find annoying."

I agree. It's not nearly as good as an earlier NBC series, "Boomtown." I wouldn't miss it if it didn't come back.

May 03 2009 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Mighty

This is actually a big surprise. The show is dropping in the ratings, and fast. While it opened well, and held onto it's audience amazingly well during it's second week, the third and forth episode dropped hard against actually competition in the form of Private Practice. Next week it might be given time to breath, but the week after that is the 2 hour Grey's Anatomy finale. Unless NBC finds a perfect place for this season season, I can't see it sticking around beyond the 13 episodes. With the ratings it's been getting the past 2 episodes, the pick up was far from a sure thing.

May 02 2009 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobbierae2

I like the show Southland with one exception, and I may stop watching it . the thing is the Swearing! Its bad enough they swear with every other word but the network or show bleeps it so we hear steady bleeps through the whole show. Clean up the mouth or this will be a viewer who will switch channels. It definitly is not a great substitute for ER !

May 02 2009 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bobbierae2's comment
Jimmy

I agree, but only because I hate the bleeps. They're trying to show a realistic environment. I have no doubt real police officers are much worse.

May 02 2009 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply