November 27, 2014

MTV's playing videos again, but not that many

by Jason Hughes, posted May 3rd 2009 1:18PM
AMTVAs a child of the '80s, I remember when MTV was just music videos 24 hours a day. We had veejays to love and the different "shows" were just ways to package genres of videos. Times were good and MTV spurred album sales as we discovered music we loved. But all that went away for a long time. But recently, MTV made a big deal about bringing back music videos. Sure it's on at like three and four in the morning, but that's what DVRs are for.

So I record AMTV and AMTV2 (MTV2 got into it as well) for a few weeks and it's even worse than my local pop station. Eminem's "We Made You" was played every single hour on the hour for four hour straight. It was almost as bad for Britney Spears' "If U Seek Amy" and "Poker Face" by Lady GaGa Okay, I get that. New videos and the like. But then they showed me something called a "Video Flashbacks" and I got excited. 30 years of videos to choose from, alright! How can this not be awesome? I can put up with new video repeats for glimpses of videos past!

Did you know that Michael Jackson's "Beat It" is the only video he made? How about Christina Aguilera? She made a video for "What a Girl Wants" and that's it. What the hell, MTV?! You have 30 years of music videos to choose from, literally hundreds and thousands of artists and songs and you pick one video from an artist and play that over and over again like it's a new video? Yes OK Go's "Here It Goes Again" was a clever video, but that doesn't mean I need to see it every day.

After a few days of this, my wife and I sat down with our recorded AMTV and AMTV2s and watched literally 18 hours worth of videos to see how bad it was. And by watched I meant we were fast-forwarding through them, because in that 18 hours between both networks, they aired three videos that we hadn't already seen from the couple of days before that. You were so close to doing something good for music fans around the world and you blew it.

I can't help but think the state of music videos on television has something to do with the decline in music sales in this country. Videos were our passive portal to what was new in music. Hell, even TRL did that when the rest of MTV abandoned the format to a certain extent, but now that's gone as well. I guess since you are the network that thinks we want to see everything you air about twenty times before we're done with it, I shouldn't be surprised. And I'm not.

But I'm very disappointed in you, MTV. Your name used to stand for something that meant the world to me and my generation. And AMTV could have brought us back, but it didn't. I guess I could tune in once every month or so to see if you've added anything new to your playlist. But that means I have to remember MTV as the place to go for music videos.

young sid

I guess shows create consitant higher value for its 30min that the music video that's avg of 3min. And you figure that the costs would have to greater to run the videos than the real world. On BET their top ten countdown is like three hrs.....mostly commercials. Music videos is just bad business.

May 05 2011 at 6:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vail79

I remebered when MTV first came on the air when I was little. I thought it it was the coolest station in the world. I haven't watched MTV in years because it's everything but music. it's TRASH!! They should stop having the music awards, there's no point. All teenagers know today are those stupid reality shows.

January 22 2011 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unknownloser

MTV Overdrive on the net has thousands of high quality new and old vids.(Not HD but still waay better than YouTube. A lot of the latest vids are blocked on YouTube anyways.)
If you have cable service, not satellite, go to OnDemand music. 1,000s of latest and old vids.

May 05 2009 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Black

I'm confused: is Lady GaGa supposed to be a person? Or is she a robot? This really ought to be made clear in her promo kit...

May 04 2009 at 6:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stefani

I thought it was soooo funny when SuperNews did the MTV dying episode. classic..MTV sux and became everything wrong with corporate takeovers in music. It turned into everything it was supposed to be against. Its a constant struggle to keep my mind free of any knowledge of who or what the eff The Hills is, or who or what creatures star in it! Ugh..

May 03 2009 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FreeAgent

If you want to watch decent videos, watch mtvU or mtvhits

May 03 2009 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to FreeAgent's comment
Val

You speak the truth!

We can't turn to MTV anymore for Music videos so we have to find other outlets VH1 classic and soul, BET Jazz, MTVU and Jams, and Fuse with those channels I'm pretty much good for everything I listen to..

It would be nice to find all my genres in one channel but who am i kidding? even the channels I listed don't give the up and comers any play for that there's Youtube.

May 03 2009 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

The reason why MTV doesn't play music videos like the good ol' days anymore is because the RIAA decided that music videos were no longer valuable as promotion, and so they started charging per play. So MTV examined their books, and said fuck it, we're running Real World. And it's been that way ever since.

May 03 2009 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
driftwood

I think I gave up in this fight 10 years ago.

I also think that "the people" are somewhat to blame.

They said videos just don't get ratings, shows do, so they stopped doing the music videos.

May 03 2009 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply