September 19, 2014

Renewal for Chuck? Not just yet...

by Allison Waldman, posted May 3rd 2009 2:23PM
chuck in pcTo me, this should be a no-brainer. NBC should renew Chuck for a third season, even if it only commits to 12 episodes, it should bring the show back. However, I'm not one of the geniuses in Jeff Zucker's world; you know, those mental giants that have committed five hours of prime time to Jay Leno starting next fall and recently signed up for more Donald Trump celebrity/reality BS. No, I'm just a loyal Chuck viewer who has seen a show improve from week to week culminating with a superb final two episodes in 2009.

Well, there were rumors that on Monday at NBC's "infront" -- a preview for the "upfront" -- that Chuck would get a pick up. TV Guide says that's not the case. On Friday, Chuck star Zachary Levi told a reporter that Josh Schwartz, the Chuck exec producer, had emailed him that NBC's decision about Chuck was on hold. The pick up, if it comes, won't be for a couple of weeks.

We all know that ratings rule and NBC's decision, presumably, is based on Chuck's Nielsen numbers. The show has been in a tough time slot. On CBS, Chuck faces Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, two very popular sitcoms that appeal to many of the same viewers. (I'm one that has to DVR one channel while watching the other.) Then ABC twirls out Dancing With the Stars, another ratings monster, while Fox has a little powerhouse called House (followed by 24). How is Chuck supposed to fight all that and Fulcrum?

NBC needs to rejigger the schedule and give Chuck a chance. I don't care how they do it, I just know that Chuck is too good a show, too well-executed with sharp characters and entertaining action to be kicked to the curb. The irony, of course, is that if Chuck were on USA or Sci Fi, it's numbers would be fine and the show wouldn't be in doubt.

BigDFromUpAbove

I'm a huge fan of Chuck. Can't wait for season 3 of Chuck. NBC is crazy not to renew CHUCK. We need a season 3 after that cliffhanger.

For CHUCK Fans, see my Custom Intersect Video Wall created with Motion and After Effects.

I will be posting a tutorial on how to make your own video wall like this in Apple's Motion soon. In the meantime enjoy the video.

Watch the Custom Intersect Video and tell me what you think at http://www.insitewebsitedesign.com/intersect-video-wall-sequence-from-chuck

"Chuck Me"

May 08 2009 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

Chuck is a good, fun show. It is in a horrible time slot and still pulling in respectible numbers. Perhaps even a move to a different night?

With all the other issues in the world, good, fun shows like Chuck are always welcome and should not be cut in favor of Trump or Leno who have long outlived their funny or interesting days.

May 05 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Long ago I remember reading a quote that said the networks would show wallpaper samples if it generated sufficient ratings. The cost per viewer of reality shows vs scripted fare are driving us to this eventuality.

It would be nice if one of the secondary networks (like USA) would pick up Chuck. They'd be happy with the 6 million weekly viewers.

May 04 2009 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

Chuck is terrible, its carmen sandiego and the power rangers wrapped in a cheese package, I hope it goes away.

May 04 2009 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

My husband and I absolutely LOVE this show. It's intelligent, funny, mystery, action-packed, love story -- the works. It has been years since there was a Primetime Television Show that wasn't a Reality TV bit. This show is definitely a big hit! I can't imagine why they would terminate CHUCK. Do they even know how big the audience is? Where and who do we write?

May 04 2009 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

why not put chuck in the place of kings. we dont need 2 hour clebrity apprentice episodes. i like celebrity apprentice but 2 hours is not needed

May 03 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynx123

Chuck is by far our favorite show on tv. NBC would hopefully not make such a foolish decision as to take Chuck and Medium off the air!

May 03 2009 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

As time goes by and more and more shows are renewed my hopes get lower and lower for a renewal. I think the Southland renewal was the final nail. Lets face it NBC is run by morons.

Now for me to post this and have it never reach my e-mail.

May 03 2009 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Nikki Finke's Blog Says NBC Renews 'Chuck', 'Medium', 'Law & Order'; Announcement On Monday

May 03 2009 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

i think the US networks should go the way of British shows and have shorter seasons. This means more longetivity for storylines and the show wont get stale within 2 seasons

May 03 2009 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply