September 23, 2014

NBC confirms: Life is dead

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 4th 2009 4:40PM
life nbc

While they haven't yet made an announcement about other on-the-bubble shows, including Medium, Law & Order, and of course, Chuck, NBC's Ben Silverman has confirmed that Life has indeed been canceled. Life is just the latest victim of the Writers' Strike curse: ABC's Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone, and Dirty Sexy Money are among some of the other series that had their freshman seasons interrupted by the strike that began in November of 07, and won't live to see a third season.

Other second season shows, including the aforementioned Chuck, along with ABC's Samantha Who? and FOX's Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles are currently on the bubble. The CW's Gossip Girl is one of the few shows that premiered during the 07-08 season that is definitely going to make it to the 09-10 one.

The strike spooked the networks and advertisers, and we're obviously feeling the effects now, over a year after it ended. What it boils down to is a lot of great shows are suffering-- and Ben Silverman is a dick.

Chuck and Life are both strong shows stuck in crappy timeslots. Chuck is in the impossible Monday at 8 slot, up against House, The Big Bang Theory/How I Met Your Mother, and Gossip Girl. Life, on the other hand, performed well enough on Friday nights that it took Lipstick Jungle's place when it tanked on Wednesdays. It did all right, but when Lost came up against it, Life didn't have a chance.

Life was one of my favorite shows on television. It had the comfort of a procedural, but kept you interested with Charlie Crews' over-arching mystery of who framed him, without being infuriating as Lost can often be. The acting and writing were both top notch, and well, Damian Lewis is super-hot.

In the end, I would bet that Chuck is going to come back, thanks in no small part to its rabid fan base. While a lot of you gave Isabelle hell for not including Life on her list of Ten shows that should be renewed, Life's fan base didn't quite mobilize in the way Chuck's did.

Perhaps if Damian Lewis made people some subs, Life might have survived. In the end though, while I still contend that Ben Silverman is, in fact, a dick, maybe the numbers just weren't there. Regardless, I'm ordering my fruit basket of mourning right now.

Jacqueline Stolte

I am still devastated that Life would be cancelled. Stupid! I'm someone who doesn't own a T.V. -- would prefer to read -- and when I discovered this show was so excited to find something intelligent, intriguing and real on network television that I actually considered getting a T.V. Can't we bring this show back?

July 14 2009 at 10:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Holliday

Bring Back Life... Life is and still can be the best show on TV. NBC needs to keep Life and the stick with one time slot...

May 28 2009 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Beard

Life deserves to have another season on NBC or if they can't get it right, then let USA Network have it so they can support this show as it deserves to be supported! Excellent acting, scripts and I want to see more! Support the petition to bring Life to the USA Network http://bit.ly/eexzz

May 24 2009 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Veronica

How can somebody cancel a show like "Life." It was great!!! I didn't even know the show was having ratings troubles, as I was in my bubble of enjoying the show, or I would be calling for a SAVE THE SHOW campaign.

Life cancelled. Epic Fail.

May 15 2009 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aion

oh man thats so sad to hear. it always seems to be the shows that i like end up being canceled and i was really afraid of that when the 1st season ended midway. although i'm super happy with the second season i just simply love this show even more then before. i do admit i was a little skeptical when the show was kinda revamped at the beginning of the 2nd season but all in all it turned out to be one of the smartest and fun shows to have come along in a long time

May 13 2009 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

No!!!! They finally get a really good show and they can it! There are so few really good shows with novel and interesting characters and they can them. There was so much they could do with this - so many places they could take it! Another reason to ditch the TV -its just not worth watching anymore.

Life will be sadly missed...

May 13 2009 at 4:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

Ben Silverman is a dick! Life is/was a very good show. I will sorely miss it.

May 10 2009 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erika

*sigh* There goes LIFE. NBC, why must you break my heart year after year? And making us wait for the word on Chuck? Just mean-spirited, IMO. I would love it if USA took a gander at these shows and took them on...

May 09 2009 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klunn

What are they thinking!!!! I am devistated, totally and absolutely. Life was my favorite, look forward to seeing show EVERY week. I don't understand, it was a great, yes a GREAT show. Everyone I knew who watched it loved it. It's a sad day when all the gore gets the hype, and a show that focused on the plots and the characters gets dumped. Shame on the decision makers, shame on them. Dumb asses!! Totally!!

May 09 2009 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paisley

Ugh, I am so ticked!! I loved this show, it was brilliant, and I looked forward every week to finding out a little bit more of the conspiracy, and watch Charlie eat some fruit!! Loved how he killed Roman with just one jab to the throat! Excellent television right there!

I just emailed NBC to let them know how stupid they are for not renewing this show! Unless they find a way to bring it back, I will not be watching anything else on their network.....I've tried three episodes of Southland, and it gets more boring as the shows go on. And their logistics of real time cameras, makes me nauseous!

Where's a save Life campaign when you need! Honestly if Scrubs can be picked up on another network when it's past it's prime, why can't someone else find this fabulous show and keep airing it!! I will never understand how the powers that be decide which show to keep, and which one to boot...because my favorites always end up disappearing too soon, but the eau du crap lingers on...acccording to jim anyone??? Pffft!!!!!!

May 06 2009 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply