August 20, 2014

The Cleveland Show renewed before it begins

by Jason Hughes, posted May 4th 2009 6:36PM
The Cleveland ShowThat's a show of faith, Fox, renewing The Cleveland Show for a second season before its first episode airs. Sure you can say it's because animated shows need more lead time as it takes a lot longer to complete an episode; how else can you explain King of the Hill getting canceled back in 1976 and having new episodes through next season.

The second season pick-up is only for a half-season, but it does bring the total number of episodes to 35, which is a good start. Especially for a show that hasn't even started.

I'm hopeful this means that what the network brass has seen so far of the show is good. When Seth MacFarlane's American Dad started, I wasn't completely on board. It took awhile for it to find its own comic timing.

With Cleveland, I was worried that Camp MacFarlane may be spreading itself too thin. I guess somebody likes what they see, or MacFarlane threatened to bolt and take Family Guy with him. Either way it means we can watch Cleveland's premiere without worrying if it will be canceled by the next week, which is a nice change in today's TV landscape.

jim

*still pines for Arrested Development

May 04 2009 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Right now the only McFarlane show that's truly funny is American Dad. Family Guy is pretty freakin' aweful these days (though I still watch it), like AD keeps getting better and better - last night's episode was amazingly funny. I have no opinion on the Cleveland Show (how can I, it hasn't aired yet) but I do hope it doesn't reduce the quality of American Dad.

Why did they give this show 2 seasons but not the horrible "Sit Down Shut Up"? Is that cancelled yet? It's animated, too. I don't think animation has anything to do with it. I think Fox just wants to stroke McFarlane's pink parts any chance they get.

May 04 2009 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mags

Why in gods name would you punish MacFarlane and Co (including the fabulously talented Mike Henry, the voice of Cleveland) for something Fox did with a show that had nothing to do with either animation or MacFarlane? That's just asinine. Fans of AD are still upset, myself included, but I'm a huge fan of Family Guy, American Dad, and I'm sure The Cleveland Show as well, so why immediately decide to "show the network" at the expense of a new show.

If you want to punish Fox for anything, I believe there's some unfinished business with Back to You and 'Til Death.. just sayin'.

May 04 2009 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mags's comment
tingrin87

Back to You was good, not great, though... and Til Death was just painful

May 05 2009 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KIrsch

Maybe for everyone who hates fox for cancelling Arrested Development and other shows should boycott the Cleveland show then fox will be locked into a show with low ratings and low advertising dollars for not one but 2 years think of how much financial destruction we could cause muahhahaha

May 04 2009 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KIrsch's comment
Edward

Like NBC?

May 04 2009 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

I'd much rather have KOTH back

May 04 2009 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply