April 18, 2014

24: 4:00AM - 5:00AM

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 5th 2009 8:26AM

Jack (Kiefer Sutherland, second from L) and Renee (Annie Wersching, second from R) rescue Hamid (Rafi Gavron, R).
(S07E21) "I have to see this through." - Jack

After a run of so many good episodes, it had to happen sooner or later - the calm before the storm. Hour 21 wasn't much more than that. A lot of filler and only a little bit of action.

All the events that are going to play out over the season's final three episodes were set in motion, but it was done with such a deliberately slow pacing that you probably would have been fine just watching next week's "Previously on 24" clip.

The biggest lingering question? Who killed Jonas Hodges? Despite the fact that Olivia decided against sending payment, I'm still inclined to believe that Martin Collier's shooter went ahead with the job. However, there's still the possibility that Aaron, sympathizing with Olivia's situation, went above and beyond the call of duty. The latter would certainly be exciting, especially considering Aaron's squeaky clean record. That being said, I didn't like how Olivia wussed out at the very end. All season long she's been groomed as Sherry Palmer Jr. and now she gets a conscience?

As for Tony, Cara, and their goons, no real surprises there. The target's reveal was fairly predictable - a DC Metro station makes perfect sense. With only one canister of the bio-weapon, they need to spread it in a place with the most impact potential. I suppose Union Station could have worked too, but what makes for a better Jack/Tony showdown? Duking it out in front of a Starbucks or trading punches down a dark subway tunnel?

Regardless, one thing that doesn't make sense to me? Why the government ever shut down CTU?!? Granted, Chloe is a genius and was key to everything, but if this hour proved one thing, it's that the CTU servers are far better than the comparable FBI equipment. Faster than Janis could whine "racial profiling," Chloe zeroed in on Jabraan Al-Zarian and another five minutes later she had cracked all of Cara's algorithms, confirming that Jabraan was being set-up. CTU 1, FBI 0.

Another thing I didn't like? The whole plot with Jabraan's Imam from his mosque. The whole point of bringing him along was so that he wouldn't warn Jabraan (before they knew he was being set up) and it just turned into an opportunity for the guy to get all preachy with Jack - enough of that already. The last person in the world who needs saving is Jack ... scratch that. I meant to say "the world needs saving and the last person who can do it is Jack." Trust me. In three hours, he will again ... assuming Jack doesn't have another nasty seizure at an extremely critical moment. Stuff like that that never happens on 24.

PORSCHE

I think dad did it too... but I Don't think part of the "circle". i think he knew who to contact but didn't know the itin but had the money.. the killer said all i need is the money and i can find him. So unbenost (sp) to them...daddy and daughter did it together. Giving the Prez no one to confide in.

May 06 2009 at 5:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Base

The person who had Jonas Hodges killed was the President's husband. How did he know where to intercept Jonas? He's was one of the mystery people on the phone with Cara & Alan last episode. He got the info from tapping his daughters phone and exacted his revenge on Jonas, continued the mystery-group's evil plot, and deepened the conspiracy.

I could've even sworn that they showed him as one of those people on the phone with the group last week. Now I'll have to go watch it again.

Base

May 05 2009 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
antonio69

Greeting from Barcelona, Spain

That was a solid episode, a bridge to the end of season with three good moments: when chloe discover the situation of Jack, when jack talk with iman and the hodges die.

It is a "fill in" episode? wow, we are very, very demanding¡

May 05 2009 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I think they went ahead and killed Hodges so they could blackmail Olivia or have her in their pocket. They will probably extort her or tell her what they want when she shows up at the meeting at the park.

May 05 2009 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
D-Bo

My thoughts exactly. Someone now has some extremely good leverage on the acting Chief of Staff.

May 05 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tri

Don't think it was Pierce, I'm sure it was the rest of the conspiracy cabal. The guy Olivia gave the itinerary to is likely to play a key role in the remaining episodes.

Olivia is (rightly) freaked out because she understood that this was way bigger than her and that she is now going to be the fall guy. She just made up with her Mother, just got past a moment of weakness where she nearly betrayed her Mother, and now she is about to be exposed/portrayed to her as a conniving traitor. There's probably enough here to spill into the next season.

Tony may still turn out good, but I agree, its unlikely.

I am still betting we will see Jack's daughter return before the end of the season to (at least attempt to) save her dad.

May 05 2009 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

Aaron was retired and on the sidelines. For him to get back in the saddle and, in the space of a handful of hours, go from straight arrow, true blue, loyal as a hound dog consummate professional agent to cold blooded killer who acts at the merest suggestion from someone he hardly knows would be a huge stretch. One I don't think they could pull off successfully.

I'm more inclined to think the POTUS's daughter will be true to *her* less than stellar character and in a pinch try to make Aaron the fall guy for the killing. Though I also think that in the end she won't be able to go through with it.

I was really convinced that Tony was still ultimately on the side of the angels and just way deep undercover, but the previews for next week have just about eroded my resolve on that one.

Loved the Chloe blubber face last night. :-)

I liked the scenes with Jack and the Imam. I thought they did an okay job of hitting the notes they wanted without being too heavy handed. I particularly liked the scene in the SUV. I heard Jack's giving up on forgiveness as being made up of both bitterness and despair.

Three more hours. It looks like we get a new episode next week then the two hour finale. And then the long, long 24 dry spell. :P

May 05 2009 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathanael

I liked this episode, even though it was dialog-heavy (and partially "filler"). The plot threads had time to develop slowly and some of the dialog was pretty cool.

May 05 2009 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MikLamb

I would sooner believe that Bill came back to life and killed Jonas than Aaron Pierce did it. If the writers transform Aaron into a bad guy, it would transcend all of the other shockers they've done.

May 05 2009 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MikLamb's comment
MikLamb

And I mean transcend in a bad way.

May 05 2009 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matjaz

I hope it wasn't Aaron that killed Hodges. Considering his clean slate it doesn't make any sense at all and I can't see him as a murderer, even if Hodges had it coming.

Anyways, three hours to go. My Tuesday night (I'm European, downloading shows from internet) used to be packed with shows (well, Chuck, Heroes, House and 24), now two remain. Next week is the season finale of House. I need to find a new hobby.

May 05 2009 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

Here's what I'm thinking:

-From way back at the beginning of this day, we've heard how the prez's administration is seriously compromised. A janitor, a few Secret Service agents, and an FBI computer mole aren't all that and a bag of chips. This goes deeper.

-The cabal of shadowy individuals is the prez's cabinet (whom we won't get a confirm on until the season ender which I've heard segues directly into Day 8)

-Agent Pierce is a traitor. Biggest 24 shocker ever. He's bitter and resentful that Logan was never punished for what he did. My guess is that Tony recruited him. He leaked the info out that Hodges was still alive.

May 05 2009 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mack Swift's comment
Matjaz

Logan was stabbed in the neck. Maybe there's an underlying story here, but I somehow doubt Aaron will turn out to be a traitor.

May 05 2009 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply