September 18, 2014

Let the Star Trek sequel talk begin

by Mike Moody, posted May 5th 2009 1:25PM
star trek uhura paramountActually, talk about a sequel to J.J. Abrams Star Trek reboot started a few months ago. In March, Paramount announced plans to hire Abrams' pals Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman (Fringe, um, Star Trek) and Lost producer Damon Lindelof to pen the sequel.

Now, the writing trio is talking about ideas for the sequel. One idea they have is possibly casting Javier Bardem as frakkin' Khan!

I like the idea, but I doubt it's gonna happen. As Lindelof said in a recent interview with Crave, Bardem as Khan -- originally played by Ricardo Montalban in Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan -- would probably eat up the entire film and possibly push characters like Kirk, Spock and Bones to the sidelines. It would be too big.

The writers also discussed putting a new spin on classic Trek stories and episodes for the sequel, which I suppose isn't the worst idea. But I don't exactly want to see strict reboots of classic episodes like "Space Seed" or "The City on the Edge of Forever" in the next film. I wouldn't mind references to those stories or events, but I think these guys are talented enough to give us brand new adventures in a new but familiar package.

Star Trek opens in theaters this week.

carl

Well as I have been reading some of the letters and blogs, and as any of you that have seen my letters on so many web sights know I did not like this film. As I've been called I have to admit there is some proof to the fact that I'm an old die hard STICK IN THE MUD fan of Star Trek. The biggest problem I've got with the film is that it completely goes against Star Trek canon. As some people agree with me, some do not. So I think we both can come up with a solution that will appease both new fans of this film and us die hard STICK IN THE MUDS. We die hards cant do it alone so we need you new fans help and the best part about it is any of you that don't know anything about Star Trek shouldn't notice a thing anyway.
I purpose introducing characters that are not considered canon but are still known to us old STICK IN THE MUDS. As well as some we didn't get to know real well and for those of you that don't know what I mean here some names to help you out.

ROBERT APRIL he was suppose to be the Enterprises first Captain before Pike and was the only character ever played by Gene Rodenberry himself

AREX he was a navigator in the animated Star Trek and had six limbs. With new C.G.I. he could be created vary easily

WILL DECKER he was killed in the first movie but was suppose to be in the second T.V. show witch never happened.

ILIA also killed in the first movie

M'RESS also from the animated Star Trek she was of a cat like race easy to create now

I feel a letter writing campaign would help with this and then maybe you new fan and us old STICK IN THE MUDS can both enjoy the ride the next film takes us on

May 31 2009 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candy

they should not, under any circumstances re-do a classic episode from the original. but it would be okay to reference this or show something very briefly in flashback.

javier bardem should NOT be cast as khan. edward james olmos or the father from ugly betty would be a better idea.

May 23 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carl

Has anyone stopped to think about all the things that could go wrong with the way this universes Star Trek is? Sarek will die in Journey to Babel because it was Spock's mom that convinced Spock to go thru with the surgery to save his fathers life and if that happens when David (if he even exist) when builds the Genesis Device and its explodes Spock will die. But no one will go to Kirk to ask him to retrieve Spock's body so the Kingons will kill David, Spock, and Savak. McCoy will most likely die in some mental hospital so sick from Spock,s Katra that no one knows how to treat him. When the Enterprise /A doesn't work properly Kirk will go on vacation he will fall to his death because Spock will not be there to catch him. But I guess that that will all work out in the end because that mean that Spock cant make a promise to save Romulus and he and Nero cant go back in time and Screw every thing up.

May 12 2009 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dipodman

never write comments on a Ipod Touch.

May 10 2009 at 4:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dipodman

Thy should bring Carol Marcus in this one WE NEED A GIRL TO BREAK KIRK. And she was like the ultimate. She was smart, so smart she could most likely outwit Kirk. They could also bring up Genesis. And make this omw dark, but not to dark, with Chekov & Scotty lightining it up.

May 10 2009 at 4:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Would it have been that hard to go forward 50 years and work the cinematic change the new team wanted to do? Why blurry what has been established?

May 06 2009 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I agree with Edward...leave the timeline alone. I hope this is a one time thing. Lets do movies after last NG movie... Lets see what Captain Tom Paris is up to...or I know sisco's kid was last seen as reporter but no reason he didn't decide to go to starfleet after DS9 was over.

May 06 2009 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to PORSCHE's comment
bob

I agree with Mike when he says "...leave the timeline alone."
Let's talk about the timeline. The only way these actors/actresses can be cast again would be to "fill in" the time between the end of this movie and and the start of TOS (or in some type of time travel plot)
This prequel, and stories to follow, need to end, I would think, where TOS starts.
I wouldn't mind new stories... Something after TNG, DS9 and VOY. There is a writers freedom here because this would be "new time", a continuation. A new cast would be needed.
But there is still one piece of the "time line" as we know it is still missing, and that would be the time between the end of the ENTERPRISE series and this movie.
Maybe a prequel to this prequel should be done next.?The same cast would not be able to be used.
Dammit Jim, it's just a cult following, and every follower has their own ideas... let's leave it to Hollywood and either like it or stop following.

I don't know, just a few thoughts I had.

May 10 2009 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Markus McLaughlin

I think the only rebooted episode I like to see as a film if it ever happens is "The Doomsday Machine," it had the right balance of action, drama, a touch of humor, and Scotty fixing everything in sight! That would be cool! Of course original films should also be made as well!!!

Markus McLaughlin
marknetproductions.wordpress.com
linuxglobe @ twitter.com
Hudson, MA, USA

May 05 2009 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I couldn't agree more. If you're going through the expense to reboot a franchise why remake old episodes? Surely there are some original ideas out there. Moreover, some of the best Trek stories ever written were the novels published after the Original Series ended and continue to be published even today. Why not look there?

May 05 2009 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

First, as a life-long Trekkie who's looking forward to this reboot (even they are using a boring alternate timeline plot device to essential wipe away canon), any use of Khan would have to tread lightly and pay even more homage to the original. "Space Seed" and Wrath of Khan are classic, classic Trek. You can only "reboot" that so much.

Second, Khan is meant to be a Sikh and while Ricardo Montalban was able to pull that off (more so in the Original Series than the movie) it's a very stupid idea to think Javier Bardem would fit that bill. Perhaps they could try something radical and actually choose someone of Indian or Southeast Asian ancestry. Naveen Andrews comes to my mind as a good choice.

May 05 2009 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply