November 24, 2014

So did we meet the mother or not? HIMYM creator weighs in

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 5th 2009 7:30PM
how i met your mother ted
This week's episode of How I Met Your Mother was huge. No, the episode didn't exactly end with, "and that's how I met your mother," but it was definitely leading up to that point. Ted had the yellow umbrella and threw around a lot of phrases like, "if it weren't for that, you kids may never have been born."

While the woman who tapped Ted on the shoulder wasn't revealed until the final moments of the episode, it doesn't necessarily mean that she's the mother. HIMYM executive producer Carter Bays recently spoke to Michael Ausiello about the surprise ending and what exactly it means for the last two episodes of the season.

Unsurprisingly, Bays wouldn't come out and say whether or not Stella is the mother, only saying instead that, "Everything will be made clear and it will move the ball forward," when speaking about the next two episodes. Next week is going to be important as well, since they're going to "reveal why Ted running into her again is such huge moment."

Frankly, as much as I enjoyed the episode, Stella's return was much ado about nothing. I sincerely doubt she's the mother, especially since, as Joel pointed out in his review, we already had the alternate reality of, "and that's how I met your mother," with two blond kids who were not Ted's actual future children.

More likely is Ted's running into Stella causes him to meet the mother, whether she's a friend of hers, or somebody whom he meets because of his contact with Stella in the next few episodes. I liked the Stella storyline, but a.) it's over, and b.) I'm of the opinion that the mother is someone we haven't yet met. While I doubt we'll get any real closure in the season finale, it's nice to see this story moving forward somewhat-- even if it is only at a snail's pace.

Does this week's episode make you think Stella's the mother?
Yes, obviously!54 (5.2%)
Of course not. He didn't say the words!994 (94.8%)

akshay

Remember the ep of " St. Patrick's Day " Ted bumps into woman, apologizes and keeps walking?THAT is the mother,i think..

July 24 2009 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dave11211

I bet you i know who the mother is..i know everyone would say that but im quite certain.. in the episode when ted and barney go out for st paddys day, ted accidently runsbumps into a chick when he is going to the bar...thats the mother...plus thats where he found the yellow umbrella, so she was obviously at tat party. BAM-LAWYERED!!!

May 07 2009 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JZ

I loved this ep, and am overall sucker of story progression. But, my favorite eps of HIMYM are when date is single and is tearing up the town with Barnie. No room for whining, only fun and playfulness all around. They can keep the mother a mystery for another couple of seasons and I'd be cool with it.

May 06 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Sorry to go off-topic, but I can't find a link to take me into my account, to change my password. Where is it? Thanks!

May 06 2009 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

I totally agree with bnitro. There is also a scene where Ted first meets Stella, he mentions that party and she says "My friends and I were at that party" or "my friends went to that party" or something like that.

The mother can't be Stella. That would be awful. I was suprised that it was Stella though.

May 06 2009 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michelle's comment
George

I'm among those who predict that the mother will be Wendy the waitress.

May 06 2009 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

As long as it isn't britney I will be ok. Ted's kids look way to unabused to be Britney's kids anyways...

May 06 2009 at 7:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Abel Estrada

I think they have shown who the mother is if you watch the St. Patty's episode from Season3. In that ep. there is a weird shot where Ted is walking across the club bumps into a woman, both apologize to each other, and he continues walking. In that same episode he finds the yellow umbrella.

May 06 2009 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Verene

Don't forget in the "Three Days Rule", Ted says that when he got the mother's number, he called her right away. So it can't be Stella.

May 06 2009 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Verene's comment
David

That's exactly what I was going to point out. He hasn't met the mother yet, because he hasn't gotten her phone number and called her back right away.

Oh, and isn't it funny that they keep reusing the same shot of the kids over and over? I mean, I guess they'd have to since those kids are now 3 years older, but it's still funny to see that same blank expression on their faces each time.

May 06 2009 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AKD

I think Ted's already bumped into the future mother of his children in an earlier episode. I can't remember the title or most of the details, but it was a really chaotic episode (as most are) that had something to do with him leaving behind a green umbrella in the bar. There was a very brief moment where he bumped into a brunette; they glanced each other briefly and kept moving. I'm convinced that was her.

May 06 2009 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashton

Of course Stella's not the mother. "And that's how I met your mother" would've been said when he actually met her, not when they ran into each other after knowing each other for a while. "We met, we fell in love, we got engaged, we broke up, and we ran into each other on the street one day after breaking up a while ago. Oh, and I forgot to tell you this a while ago, she's your mom."

May 05 2009 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply