American Idol: Top 4 Perform

by Kona Gallagher, posted May 6th 2009 12:08AM
american idol slash

With this particular final 4, you know that Rock Night is going to be interesting -- and they don't disappoint. Adam and Allison are definitely suited for this, while Kris and especially Danny have a bit of an uphill battle. Slash is the mentor, which sounds exciting, but we don't really see a whole lot of him. I have no idea if this is what actually happened or not, but we definitely get the impression that he didn't work with the contestants as much as some of the other mentors did.

Also this week we have something new: duets. Frankly, I thought the idea was going to be kind of a train wreck, but they turned out to be really interesting. Pairing Allison and Adam together makes sense, but it left the odd couple of Danny and Kris. It was really kind of hilarious, and I'm sad that they won't be able to do it again this season (unless they do it tomorrow during the results show), because it was a lot of fun.

American Idol' Show Photos

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Danny Gokey performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Matt Giraud performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Allison Iraheta performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Adam Lambert performs in front of the judges. Airs Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Anoop Desai performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Danny Gokey performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Kris Allen performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Matt Giraud performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Adam Lambert performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

AMERICAN IDOL 8 Allison Iraheta performs live. Airs Tuesday, April 21, 2009.

Fox

Adam Lambert, "Whole Lotta Love"

This is a good song choice for him; Zeppelin is somewhat theatrical, and I think he could take it to an interesting level. The vocals are impressive, and he stays pretty close to the original version while still managing to add his own flair, plus he really stuck the ending. He's also got the androgynous rock god thing down, but that's also my problem with this performance, and really, Adam in general. I just watch this and feel like he's playing an androgynous rock god instead of being an androgynous rock god. He's got the attitude; he's got the clothes; he's got the makeup, but it just seems inauthentic to me, like he's playing a role. I also wish he would stop pointing his junk at me.

As for the judges, I have to laugh, because the first thing that Randy says is that nobody's going to be talking about Broadway after that performance (except for me, I guess). Hilariously, Kara actually uses the words, "rock god" in regards to him. Get out of my head, Idol judges! Paula calls him a "whole lotta perfect," and Simon says that it could have been a disaster, but was actually one of his favorite performances he's ever done, even going so far as to say no one can top it tonight.

Allison Iraheta, "Cry Baby"

Janis Joplin is the perfect choice for Allison. The tone in her voice is perfect for this song, so I'm really excited to hear what she does with it. Like Adam, she stays pretty faithful to the original version, without making it a "sound-alike." My only criticism is that she doesn't quite have the anguish behind the lyrics that the Joplin version does. Other than that, it's spot-on.

Randy disagrees with me and says that he didn't love it. Kara thinks "Piece of my Heart" would have been better, and I can see that. I actually like that she chose a less well-known song. Kara does say, however, that she sees Allison's personality in that song. Paula calls her "fearless," and Simon is really impressed with how far she's come in the past eight weeks, but he actually calls it a sound-alike.

Duet: Kris and Danny, "Renegade"

I love this song, in general -- the a capella opening has always gotten me, and I love what Kris and Danny do with it. It kind of falls apart in the middle, though. Danny growls his way through it, and Kris isn't quite powerful enough for the song. However, they pull it back together when they sing the end. Overall, Kris and Danny are an odd pairing, but I enjoy the result.

They're apparently judging this part, and Randy agrees with me completely. He says the individual vocals were okay, but that the harmonies were amazing. Kara says that it was "united and strong," while Paula calls it "powerful and compelling." Simon says that Danny was better than Kris.

Kris Allen, "Come Together"

Fact: The guy I briefly dated as a high school freshman and had a mad crush on for years afterward sang this song with his band at the school talent show, so I am predisposed to love this. Kris is also my favorite contestant, so he doesn't get more than three words in before I'm reduced to a giggly fourteen-year-old. I was going to be objective and say that he didn't make it original enough, but he switched it up halfway through and made the song really interesting.

Randy appreciates that he can pick a song that allows him to be himself and loves what he did on the guitar. Kara says that it was "trying too hard," while Paula says that doing a Beatles song was risky, but that his signature is all over it. Simon didn't like it that much and compares it to "eating ice for lunch."

Danny Gokey, "Dream On"

I don't go into this with high hopes, and my opinion doesn't change. I am really getting tired of the way Danny just growls his way through songs. He even seems to go off beat at one point. Oh, and the "do doo doo" things he added? Made me want to barf. The entire thing just devolves into madness when he tries to hit those high notes at the end. I hated every second of this performance -- it is by far the worst of the night.

Randy says it was alright, but gives him an A+ for effort. Kara thinks he took the "swagger and edge" comments a little too far. Paula doesn't know if this was the right song for him, but says that she's a huge fan of his, while Simon says the last note was like "watching a horror movie," but he thinks he's going to be safe tonight.

Duet: Allison and Adam, "Slow Ride"

I've played this song so much on Guitar Hero, that that's really all I can think of when I hear it. Video games aside, this is a stupid song choice for these two. It doesn't fit either of them and just seems really karaoke to me. I'm obviously not much of an Adam fan, but I like Allison and I still think this kind of sucks. It's not horrible, but it does not make me happy either.

Randy calls them "seasoned rock stars," and Kara calls them "rock god" and "rock goddess." Paula wants them to do a duet for real, while Simon tells them that in the battle of the duets, they win the show tonight. Simon even says that Adam has given Allison a chance of staying in the competition. Personally, I think Allison has gotten where she is on her own, but I guess that's just me.

Overall, Rock night was a lot of fun. I love that they've introduced duets. It allows us to see how the singers work together outside of the cheesy and embarrassing group sings. I hope this is a trend they'll stick with, because wouldn't you love to see what Adam and Kris would sing together? I know I would.

Who did the best this week?
Adam905 (61.6%)
Allison318 (21.7%)
Kris168 (11.4%)
Danny77 (5.2%)

saint libido

Yes Francoise, and your highly intellectual, educational observation means what?

Also, who cares?

May 06 2009 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BECKIE

Scott and gillygirl, I'm so happy that you two know in advance that Adam is going to win this competition. I have watched every show and all Adam does is scream, whether he's singing a ballad or not. I watched rock night to see how each contestant would do whether I know who Slash is or not. He looks like another Ozzy wannabe and did not mentor much so what was the point of having him on.

May 06 2009 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BECKIE's comment
gillygirl

HEY BECKIE (what's with the IE stuff, i bet you dot your I with a little heart or smiley face). WHERE DID I SAY THAT ADAM WAS GOING TO WIN? (yes, i'm screaming!)

May 06 2009 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Francoise

Adam Lambert is a Frakking POSER!!

May 06 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Francoise

Adam Lambert is a Frakking POSER!!!!!!!

May 06 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

Rock Night is the night I look forward to the most every year on AI, and, thanks to Adam and Allison, it was a very interesting evening. I've seen a fair amount of excellent performances on the show over the years, but, Adams' performance last night was a whole 'nother animal alltogether. I have never seen anyone come out and flat out blow the roof off of the joint and burn it to the ground with a rock song like that. It was fantastic! It was the s***! And when it was over, and he came swaggering out of the smoking ruins of the stage with his insolent, rock star snear, his eyes focused on the judges, then in the blink of an eye, he was back to being nice, smiling, humble Adam. Am I the only one who thought that was cool, or what? Sure, he was "in character" as a rock star. Who cares? It was fun, dammit. It's suppposed to be.
Allison was really good also, and I have loved her from the start, but as I listening to her it occured to me that maybe she picked the wrong year to be on this show. She is a tremendous singer, but she is just overshadowed by Adam, as is everone else. But Allison is better than half the people who have won this competition in the past, if you ask me. I would really like to hear her sing her second song choice for last night, Somebody To Love. I heard that on the radio a couple of weeks ago and thought that Allison would kill with that song.
Kris was ok, but I agreed with Simon that it was forgettable. I can't remember enough about it to comment, except to say it didn't suck and it probably wont get him sent home.
That brings us to Danny. Danny also did something really amazing last night. We are all used to seeing people like Megan Joy, Kristy Lee Cook, Hailey Scarnato or, god forbid, Sanjaya doing unspeakable things to songs that deserve better. But this was something remarkable, someone who is a good singer violating an innocent song, right before our astonished eyes. There was something oddly magnificent in the breadth and scope of its awfulness. After all, this was Danny, The Golden Child, at one time The Chosen One. And here he was, bleating, screeching and pumping out flop sweat like it was his job. You had to feel bad for the man, because he is really a good singer. He lost all control of that final scream. I thought he hit it pretty well in rehearsal with Slash, thought.
This is a very likeable and talented final four, and I hate to see any of them leave. But this week, I would have to vote for Danny to leave, since his performance was easily the weakest.

May 06 2009 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Danny needs to go home tonight. For weeks he has sung the song the same way the artist sang it but this week he went out on his own and sucked even worse. Time for him to go home.

May 06 2009 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

There are very very very few singers who can pull off a Zeppelin song, let alone do it justice or - make it sound great. Adam Lambert did just that, and my jaw dropped in amazement of his vocal talent and charismatic stage presence last night. He's really amazing. The total package.

May 06 2009 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Sharona

Isn't it interesting that you used the word 'package' to describe Adam? I agree he has a fantastic voice, and I don't even mind his looks. The thing that bothers me about his performance is the awkward movement - makes me squirm, although others probably like him for that very reason.

May 06 2009 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saint libido

Adam is the man!!!! To tear into and rip apart WHOLE LOTTA LOVE the way he did. Jesus!! I'd like anybody, current rock stars included, to sing that song the way he did.

He's on a different level.

"He's a bit THEATRICAL". What a ridiculous complaint. I'd rather have someone who is over the top and exciting, then someone standing there staring at the crowd. So BORING.

I love the Alice Cooper's, KISS, Marilyn Manson's, David Bowie's...etc...give me a show!!!!

May 06 2009 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melliebelles

Finally someone who agrees with me about Adam. Yes, he has talent. But everything about him seems so deliberate..from his clothes, to his hair. He looks like Disney cast him as the "Emo Teen #2" in the latest High School Musical.

May 06 2009 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

Again, Dial Idol has Allison on the bottom. I like the poll results on this sight much better. I think she really did a great job last night and although I am not an Adam fan, I did like their duet. Kris impressed me much more than Danny did, that was just wrong.

May 06 2009 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply