November 23, 2014

Fringe: The Road Not Taken

by Jane Boursaw, posted May 6th 2009 8:31AM
Fringe: The Road Not Taken
(S01E19) It's an interesting premise. That we can have several different alternative realities, and if the brainwaves are hitting just right, we have the option to see more than one reality. Or in this case, more than one charred body.

I must say, Olivia handled it way better than I would have. I would have been FREAKING OUT and curled into a fetal position if the whole time-shift thing was happening before my eyes. But she took it all in stride, using it to help solve the case and find the twin sister in the lab. But oy ... what a shocker ...

... to learn that Harris was the one doing the experiments in the warehouse. Guess that didn't turn out so well for him, huh? It's not that I didn't consider that people in the agency might be involved; I just figured Harris was too much of a dolt to be involved in any significant way. And here he's the one who's got the girl strapped to a chair in a makeshift lab doing experiments on her, "activating" her.

So ... he's working for William Bell...? And I'm guessing Bell is the "he" in this statement: "He's losing patience. We need her active. Get it done."

Things are really, REALLY starting to come together in a big way, which is good, considering that the finale is fast approaching, and we really haven't even seen William Bell yet, only heard his voice in the video that Walter watched a couple weeks ago. It's like the storyline meandered a bit to get to this point, and suddenly, everything is ramped up big time.

We've got Nina Sharp back in the equation, the mysterious William Bell out "traveling" somewhere (to another dimension perhaps?), Walter revealing the old typewriter with the raised "y" and then finding the missing pages of the manuscript, Olivia confronting Walter outright about what they did to them as children ("What the hell did you people do to us?"), Walter breaking down because he can't remember, and the big topper, Walter being visited by The Observer and being told "It's time to go."

Go where?!

And let's not forget the awesome spontaneous combustion effects. Poof.

Nor the "weird Walter food fetish of the week": Frankenberry.

Nor the quick shot of the lightboard in the lab room where the girl was being held.

I did think the whole Spock, son-of-Sarek, Romulan-war thing with the guy from Moonlighting (at least, I think that was Curtis Armstrong) was a bit of a throw-away. I was taking notes watching it on my office TV and yelling at my son across the house, "REALLY?!" It was just too ... too ... too much, with the reveal of Leonard Nimoy fast approaching.

What did you guys think of this episode?

jboursaw

Mike - Curtis Armstrong played Herbert Quentin Viola in "Moonlighting."

May 08 2009 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Was Curtis Armstrong in Moonlighting???

May 08 2009 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

Did anyone else catch the "Childhood's End" appearance on the bookshelf? I thought it was a great reference and might really give some clues to what is being done to the children and why.

and if you haven't read the book yet. go get it. It's one of my favorite Arthur C Clarke books.

May 07 2009 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tri

One thing struck me as odd: the kidnapping of the twin sister. First of all, if she melted glass, was she not already activated? Second of all, if she was already projecting enough heat to melt glass, how did they take her?

May 07 2009 at 4:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Liked the episode alot, really promoting the ZFT/interdimensional world arc, cool, but here are some other observations... Olivia is tweaking interdimensionally and yet she doesn't tell Broyles? Seems unlikely... Peter's newly constructed "toy" which worked outstandingly well in its first outing, scifi is so lenient... and what's up with Walter hypnotically following The Observer ? Seems like he was "activated" by a post-hypnotic suggestion.

Anyway, really looking forward to next week's season finale.

May 06 2009 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Exact opposite of what he said.

May 06 2009 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

I was a Frankenberry girl!! :D
(I don't know what that says about me and Walter.) :0
And why the heck was that taken off the market?!!!!
If FOX ever threatens to cancel the show we now know what we have to send them in the mail as a protest. ;-D

May 06 2009 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Europa's comment
Erica

I know in the Pittsburgh area, you can purchase it during the month of October...I guess because of Halloween, but who knows why....:)

May 07 2009 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jboursaw

Clint Howard! Thanks, guys. Dang, I thought it was Curtis Armstrong.

JPN - Yeah, I record and watch shows on my office TV, so I can take notes for my reviews. My son watches in the living room, which is not that far away from my office, and no walls between here and there.

Sometime I'll do a "Confessions of a TV Blogger" post and you guys will know all our secrets. :-)

May 06 2009 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Did anyone notice that the page of the ZFT manuscript we saw said something about "skin on chocolate pudding"? What the hell?

I'm still kinda annoyed at the fact that the ZFT manuscript has been there and yet we know hardly anything about it. It would be great if they stuck it online for us to read. But that's asking too much. At least tell us more about it. It looks to be about 150-200 pages long, it must say something interesting. Unless it's all about chocolate pudding and the dried up puddin' skins it leaves behind.

This show is very good at making it seem like the plot is moving along, making it seem like they are giving us info, yet in reality they never do. We didn't learn anything we didn't already know in last night's episode. Well, other than the fact that Harris was a bad guy, but we basically knew that already.

It looks like next week might give us some real info. Hopefully.

May 06 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bruce's comment
mrkorb

You do realize that somebody would actually have to write the damn thing for it to be put online for us to read. If anything, the 100 or so pages we see them flipping through is likely just a bunch of random pieces of paper put together to look like a book. It's a fictional TV show, not a documentary.

May 06 2009 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Gunter

She goes up,the doors open and two guys wearing ski masks shoot her with a gun with a silencer on it.Pow and then black.

May 06 2009 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply