April 20, 2014

NCIS: Legend (Part 2) - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted May 6th 2009 9:06AM
NCISThis was the second part of "Legend," the episodes that are acting as the NCIS spinoff starring Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J. It looks like a sure thing for the fall, though CBS will make it official at their upfront on May 20.

What did you think of this two-parter? Can you imagine following O'Donnell and LL Cool J for as many seasons as you've followed Mark Harmon and Michael Weatherly?

Janice

I absolutely LOVE NCIS!!! It always holds my interest and I look forward to each episode. I was not particularly excited about the spin-off. I guess I am just hooked on the NCIS cast. They really are like a family with the barbs and seriousness bringing out the siblin rivalry and companionship of each person. They seem to work so well together. It would be a real shame to separate them. It would appear they really are a great team!

May 30 2009 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ad-pdx

Is there a Star Trek/Paramount connection between NCIS and any of the Trek Series? Trek series actors keep popping up, and the conference room table in the Director's office looks like the ready room conference room table from ST TNG.

May 08 2009 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley

I liked the second part more than the first, but to me, one of the biggest draws of NCIS is the characters and how they interact. While I like procedural shows, and I like the procedural aspects of this show, what really makes me enjoy it are the characters. That being said, I'm not sure if I'll watch the spin-off. Maybe I will, but chances are I won't.

Is it definite that G (I'm not sure how to spell his actual name) is going to be in the spin off series? Because I'm scared that he will die and they will send Tony to that agency since he is good at undercover ops. They did say that there would be a tragedy in NCIS this season for Tony, and they were very wishy-washy about whether or not they were losing an agent. I would hate to see that.

I didn't like Macy that much. I agree about her accent. I also think that it's hard to believe that she and "G" are supposed to be as close in age to Gibbs as they are. He seems much older than them.

I am also, of course, very intrigued by Ziva/Tony/MichaelNick! We'll see what happens there!

Oh, and I thought the dialogue for the new characters was often stilted. They called each other by name every time they spoke. I heard Macy's name about 30 times in the span of a minute. It was a bit much. I hope they can cool that a bit next season when we know the characters better. I also hope that the characters will become more interesting-right now, it seems that all that show has going for it is cool technology and undercover ops.

May 07 2009 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vix

When I watched NCIS Legend Part 1 I wasn't sure about a spin-off but this episode paid more attention to the dramatic tension as opposed too cool tech and was a lot more interesting.

May 06 2009 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

I wasn't impressed with the NCIS spinoff.

Just...meh.

May 06 2009 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacky

While I was initially pissed about the whole idea of a spinoff, I really came to like G. And then they (apparently) killed him. So, I'm pissed again, unless he's not really dead. If he's alive, a spinoff's fine with me... Unless they screw with the original series. I don't think that it'll ever be as good as the original, but I don't really care as long as the original series continues. If they mess with Gibbs and the Gibblets, I will be really, really mad.

May 06 2009 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

Hmm, possibly I might. I need a few more episodes, without the distraction of the D.C. crew to make that decision. I personally was blah about Chris O'Donnell until I saw him as G Callen. What was I thinking? He was fantastic. I need to see more chemistry between he and L L Cool J's character. They really didn't have much time on screen together to show that protective big brother thing that was supposed to be going on. I will definitely watch it when it appears on CBS's schedule. Will I make it for the whole season? That remains to be seen.

May 06 2009 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

First of all I'm with the group that says enough with the open thread BS. Either review and blog or don't bother. Geeesh.

I don't know if I liked this enough to tune in every week. (The only reason I've been watching NCIS of late is because I'm totally over and done with AI and I need something to kill the time until Fringe.) However, it does seem like a good vehicle for O'Donnell if not LLCJ. Lord knows O'Donnell's film career has totally tanked so perhaps the small screen is a better bet especially if there are good writers and directors to push in him in the right direction. He's good actor, IMO, he's just made some bad film choices over the years.

May 06 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

Enough of a go for me... but I "BOO"ed at the TV when they announced Gibb's back story. So cliche, so over done... so not Gibbs.

May 06 2009 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison Solow

I was not impressed. O'Donnell and LL feel like sidekicks, not leads. There's no Gibbs to lead and that's a missing element. Louise Lombard doesn't cut it. Way too much watching screens and playing with computers. I was not drawn it, although the shooting at the end was a shock. If this didn't have the NCIS connection, I don't think CBS would bother with it. Compared to something like "Leverage" for instance, it pales. Not as clever and not as well acted. The characters aren't even as well written. It's a pass for me.

May 06 2009 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Allison Solow's comment
Jim

Let's hope he is dead and the idea of a spin-off died with him. Original is too good to try and replicate.
Jim

May 06 2009 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anthony

eww you should never reply to anything ever agin ... lmfao "leverage"

July 28 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply