Why American Idol may say goodbye to Kris tonight

by Allison Waldman, posted May 6th 2009 5:15PM
Kris Allen IdolI don't pretend to understand the motivation of the American Idol voters, but after watching last night's performances by the Final Four, I'm convinced that Kris Allen is going to be the odd man/singer out tonight. It's not that Kris was the poorest performance; I agree with Kona that Danny's "Dream On" was a bit of a nightmare. No, Kris will be done in because he chose the wrong Beatle song.

Rock night on American Idol, with Guns 'n Roses' Slash of all artists as a mentor, was bound to fall on the hard end of the rock spectrum. That did not suit Kris's mellow music man vibe at all. If he wanted to impress the judges -- and win over the fans -- he would have been better off going against the grain and not trying to compete with the heavy duty rock star wannabes on the show.

That meant don't try to be like Adam, and you didn't stand a chance channeling Heart or Janis Joplin like Allison could. Danny, like I wrote a few weeks back, has been very confident (bordering on over-confident), so there was no way he was going to sing something in the smooth rock vein, let alone a ballad. That left Kris with a chance to create some contrast and, thus, emerge as one of the more viable finalists.

His instinct to do a Beatles' song was on target. But he chose the wrong Beatle. He went with John Lennon instead of Paul McCartney (or George Harrison even). Rather than sing a catchy tune like "Come Together," which has an inane Lennon lyric that cannot be taken literally let alone sung with any conviction because it's nonsense, Kris should have taken a chance with "Something" or "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (the George songs). Or, if he still wanted to go out rocking, Paul's "Lady Madonna" or from the Wings' era, the bombastic "Live and Let Die." That would have knocked some socks off, because that's the kind of song it is. Even "Hey Jude" would have worked for Kris.

Tonight, unless I'm wrong, Kris will be sent home, leaving Danny, Adam and Allison. It's a shame, too, because if he had trusted his gut and looked in the mirror, he would have seen that his best move would have been emulating the cute Beatle. Sir Paul's made a career of being the cute one.

Mom

Adam doesn't sing, he shouts. The judges always say that about other contestants, but not about Adam. I don't get it. I closed my eyes and grimaced when he sang. I'm an old granny, but I voted for Kris 110 times last night. Doubt that it helped though.

May 13 2009 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeliwobble

Actually, what he should have sung was 'Song 2' by Blur.

May 07 2009 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gloria

What is wrong with you people? Danny is the best singer of them all!! I also love Kris, plus he is from my home state...Arkansas

May 07 2009 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Adam, win or lose, will have the spectacular career (and deservedly so) in both music and film; Kris will go on to become the new Richard Marx (whether that's good or bad you decide) and Danny, if there's justice, will be taking latte orders at your nearest Starbucks.

May 07 2009 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Kris has come along way and deserves to win. I think it will be like last year. Everybody thought David A. was going to win. This year adam is the favorite but Kris is the dark horse that is going to surprise all and WIN.

GO KRIS.

May 07 2009 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jane

I think Kris is the best person to win American Idol.

May 07 2009 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Casey

I tried to vote for Kris last night and kept getting a message saying the number was not a working number. The whole thing is rigged.

May 06 2009 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Casey's comment
Marcus Gorman

I got through just fine. Are you sure you got the right number?

May 06 2009 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cherrie

I voted for Kris 15 times last night without a problem. There were some calls that got a message about it not being a good number and to try again, which is not uncommon when the circuits are overloaded.

May 07 2009 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kona Gallagher

You make good points, but I do not want you to be right, Allison! Danny absolutely deserves to go home. He was horrendous last night and I don't understand the judges' constant effusive praise for him.

May 06 2009 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saint libido

I love Posers!!!! Go ADAM Go!!!!

May 06 2009 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Francoise

Adam is a frakking poser.

The only album i would consider buying is Kris'

May 06 2009 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply